Planning this ride in May 2020

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston

Reaction score
IBA-SS1000.jpg

Planning this ride.

Question.

Can we ride in the states on the map.

Massachusetts : I know is not a problem.

Rhode Island : I don't know about.

Connecticut : I don't know about.

New York : I don't know about.

Pennsylvania : I don't know about.

Any help would be good.

John  

Unless you plan on boondocks camping, finding a place to overnight will be the biggest challenge.  Even most campgrounds are closed.  Some are only open to “regulars” and are turning away transients.

I think you may have to go to each state's websites and check the current situation.  Restrictions are a moving target.  You may get travel not recommended or even not allowed.  Some states (and Canadian provinces) have mandatory 14 day self-isolation after crossing a border.  I saw one (can't remember who) required self-isolation unless just transiting through.

I think you may have to go to each state's websites and check the current situation.  Restrictions are a moving target.  You may get travel not recommended or even not allowed.  Some states (and Canadian provinces) have mandatory 14 day self-isolation after crossing a border.  I saw one (can't remember who) required self-isolation unless just transiting through.
Ross, I did not consider the states web sites.

Thanks

I can speak about NY and PA and feel confident saying you're not going to have a problem being on the road.  During the last several weeks myself and various family members have been moving about and haven't seen anything along the lines of restrictions.  The most we've encountered was being stopped along 95 at the Florida border but that was just to remind everyone of the 14 day quarantine.

You looking at an IBA run of some sort?  If so, and not to jinx anything, but have a plan should you run into mechanical trouble as not sure what options might be open to you.

Funny sorta coincidence -  you live 45 miles from my brother and you are passing 45 miles from my place (rt. 62 Warren Co.) I don't expect any issues on the western part of your trip both NY and PA.

Must be an Iron Butt, 4-lane almost all the way around.  Best of luck!

Yeah, Me and a buddy who also has a 12 or 13 FJR are planning a SS1K .

Living in NE it's hard to ride 1000 miles within 24hrs and stay in NE.

Yeah, Me and a buddy who also has a 12 or 13 FJR are planning a SS1K .

Living in NE it's hard to ride 1000 miles within 24hrs and stay in NE.
Buddy bowed out. So if everything goes right today I should be leaving tomorrow. Plan is to be riding by 3am. And I hope the gas station near the hwy will be open 24.

The areas around Tionesta, PA and Brookville, PA watch for forest rats. Route 80 is pretty boring but if yur doing a cert ride it's a decent choice. Safe travels!

Some minor 18 wheel traffic on 219, PA has some hills ya know. Good trap, Rt 219 from NYS line to I-86. There's a short 40mph stretch there in the middle, well marked. Also that section of NYS road is really crappy, be sure everything is tied down. Good news the NYSP have really loud radar. I-86 nice smooth ride.

Safe ride, I'll wave from Kane PA as you go nearby...

Some minor 18 wheel traffic on 219, PA has some hills ya know. Good trap, Rt 219 from NYS line to I-86. There's a short 40mph stretch there in the middle, well marked. Also that section of NYS road is really crappy, be sure everything is tied down. Good news the NYSP have really loud radar. I-86 nice smooth ride.

Safe ride, I'll wave from Kane PA as you go nearby...
some where around Newburg bridge (I-84) is a video camera. My Replay 1080xp jumped off.  

Got it done. A day later then I said a few posts ago. But it done. :lmaosmiley:

1086 miles in 22hrs. On a very uncomfortable FJR seat.

Paper work to be mailed in Monday. Crossing the T's and dotting the i's.

And on the last gas stop to end the trip my headlights stopped working.

Had to ride the last 5 miles to the house with flashers at 1:30am.

Got it done. A day later then I said a few posts ago. But it done. :lmaosmiley:

1086 miles in 22hrs. On a very uncomfortable FJR seat.

Paper work to be mailed in Monday. Crossing the T's and dotting the i's.
Great job! Always wanted to do that. Wife and I have done 750-800 miles in an easy day, did 976 miles once without realizing it until I plotted it after the ride.  When my 07 was new we bought the Yamaha touring seats, after 14-16 hours they get a little itchy but not so bad.

Again, congrats!

Minuteman 1000 is an organized Ironbutt that in normal times is run each year. I ran it in 2010 and got my Saddlesore . It's run within NE