Planning trip from Vancouver Island to Utah

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Island_FJR

Reaction score
Hi all - just beginning to plan out a trip from Victoria BC to Utah. Looking forward to it! I'm planning to blast down to meet my brother in Salt Lake City and we'll tour around Utah from there. My Garmin GPS says I5 -> I90 -> I82 -> I84. How is this route in general? Better more scenic options without too much increase in time? I've been down into Washington State quite a bit but wondering how 84 is the rest of the way to the northern part of Utah?

Thanks!

How is this route in general?
If you're interested in getting to Utah the quickest most direct route, this will work. Typical interstate highway, once you cross the Cascades, you'll be in the desert most of the remainder of the trip.

Better more scenic options without too much increase in time? I've been down into Washington State quite a bit but wondering how 84 is the rest of the way to the northern part of Utah?
There are many more interesting routes verses the boring interstate. Most will add considerable time as they are secondary roads.

How much extra time is too much?

--G

Hi all - just beginning to plan out a trip from Victoria BC to Utah. Looking forward to it! I'm planning to blast down to meet my brother in Salt Lake City and we'll tour around Utah from there. My Garmin GPS says I5 -> I90 -> I82 -> I84. How is this route in general? Better more scenic options without too much increase in time? I've been down into Washington State quite a bit but wondering how 84 is the rest of the way to the northern part of Utah?

Thanks!
I try to avoid Interstates and just build in the extra time it takes to use alternative routes. IF all you want to do is get there then the Interstate blight will do. If you want to take an interesting trip try US101, US2, US12, US97, US395, they are always more interesting than the Interstates. How about Victoria to Anacortes WA on the ferry, WA20 to US97, US97 south to OR 31, OR31 to US 395 to Carson City, US50 to Salt Lake. Never been thru there but I would rather take an unknown than ride an Interstate. Best wishes on your trip and BTW, WA20 is still closed due to heavy snow, but it is expected to open mid-May. Have a great ride!

Well, good question...maybe an extra half day on the way down and possibly a day or two on the way back depending on what we end up doing in Utah. Did you have some suggestions? Washington State has some amazing roads. I've almost always been impressed on our trips into Washington State, Montana, Idaho etc.

How is this route in general?
If you're interested in getting to Utah the quickest most direct route, this will work. Typical interstate highway, once you cross the Cascades, you'll be in the desert most of the remainder of the trip.

Better more scenic options without too much increase in time? I've been down into Washington State quite a bit but wondering how 84 is the rest of the way to the northern part of Utah?
There are many more interesting routes verses the boring interstate. Most will add considerable time as they are secondary roads.

How much extra time is too much?

--G

If nothing else, find a way to Lolo. (US12 from Lowell, ID, to Lolo, MT)

100 miles of fun! :thumbsup:

Understand about time constraints... :( An extra half day going down, isn't a lot of extra time.

Coming back, take a look at 93 north out of Idaho Falls towards Missoula MT and then 12 over Lolo Pass and into Lewiston ID. Another option is north to Cody WY, take 296 (Chief Joseph Byway) to 212 and Beartooth Pass and then work your way north and west back home. The latter option depends on what time of year the trip is planned. Lots of snow and cold temperatures on the passes.

So many roads and so little time...

--G

Consider going south at Mountain Home ID, taking Highway 51 which becomes 225 in Nevada, through Owyhee NV to Elko, NV if you have time. That's one deserted area out there and a scenic, fun ride. I'll tell you that you are missing exactly nothing from Mountain Home to SLC on 84, and on I-80 you'd come into SLC from the West and avoid a lot of stupid drivers from Brigham City to SLC--a heavily (for around here) traveled corridor.

Yes, that will add some time and miles however... per Google 296 miles 4 hours 38 min vs. 422 miles 7 hours 31 min.

From my trip through there last spring...

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all - just beginning to plan out a trip from Victoria BC to Utah. Looking forward to it!

I'm planning to blast down to meet my brother in Salt Lake City and we'll tour around Utah from there.
you don't say when.

well here are my two thoughts:

A) going down: take your GPS route to Pendleton, OR, then south on Rte #395 to Burns, OR. 'Tis good pavement, very good road.

From Burns go south to Winnemucca, Nevada either thru 1) French Glen and Fields, OR (I always stop at French Glen Hotel for food. historic, colorful history. rooms, too), or

2) Burns Junction / McDermitt (Rte #78 and 95). From Winnemucca, cross Nevada eastward and fast on Interstate to SLC.

B ) Return, go north and cross Idaho westerly either via Lolo Pass, Rte #12 (recommended above) or west from Stanley, ID on Rte #21.

FYI: interstates in Oregon are speed limit 65, and monitored; so I like the secondary roads for many reasons.

I just did Highway 21 this weekend and should recommend that also (as said here). It is really I think one of the top roads you can find anywhere. A good diversion takes you from Boise to Idaho City, Lowman, to Stanley, South through Sun Valley (Ketchum/Hailey) then south through Jerome. The whole way from Boise to Sun Valley is a "10".

For the first leg, I'd suggest a boat! ;) Seriously, I agree with Spud, the Highway through the Sawtooth Mountains is awesome! I rode that a few years ago and can't wait to do it again.