PNW Spring Tech Meet #18 - May 13th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for the Spring gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday May 13th at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.
Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system

Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you to the recycle - Les Schwab will take then for a nominal fee)

TBS

PAIR system block off

Various electrical and electronic additions

Brake system flush - please RSVP this

Fork rebuilds

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, pull pork sandwich, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

IMG_1780_zpsgvu6pejx.jpg

Spring Tech Meet #16 - 2016

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Niehart

Beamer Reamer & Mrs.

escapefjrtist

Hudson

Panman

Fontanaman

FJRay & Patti ?

chazglenn3

JamesW

redneckj

AdamK

harper

SeattleTy

MajBach

ahchiu

fjrwalker

Harald

Heen

samamoto

gbrmksmith

allrider

RoyceDaniels

audiowize

RC65 ?

pigpen

NW Jeff

seventyss

Gmann

pwnsauce

nex
List updated

Panman: Shell station at the intersection of Hwy's 2 & 203. 7 maybe 7:30 time hasn't been decided yet. Keep watching.
smile.png
For those coming from the north end, Panman and I will meet at the Monroe Shell just before 7A...ready to head to Carnation at 7A sharp.

Niehart: Do we have a meet time at the Carnation Starbucks?
Let's figure meet at Carnation $bucks NLT 7:45A with an eye towards heading to Auburn at 8:15 ish. Hopefully this gives everyone plenty of time to get coffee, BS and pee and make Auburn around 9A.

If we end up with a large group we'll break into a couple smaller ones for ease of transit.

Hope to see all y'all there!

--G
I will meet up at Shell in Monroe to tag along

New guy here - looking forward to saying hi and seeing all the great FJRs. After years of looking, wishing and wanting, I picked up my first FJR off Ebay last month. Barely used 2014 FJR1300ES with only 1363 miles! I hope I can find some good used gear and some great ideas on what works and what doesn't.

One thing you'll find at any FJR gathering is plenty of ideas. I was able to ride up for this meet two or three years back and it was great to see so much local interest; it's a great group up your way. They told me it hadn't rained for months until the day before I arrived from Cali, and it rained the whole damn time I was there. Sounds like you might get the same. But it was a very good time anyway. Take it easy riding what we like to call "The Pocket Dragon:" Brian's driveway.
laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided last night to bow out because the weather forecast assured me it would be raining cats and dogs all day, all weekend...and so what do I wake up to? Blue skies and sun. Sure, maybe a light sprinkle or two, but mostly blue skies and sun.
angry01.gif
Looks like now I have to ride for a good while without my new risers installed.
upset.gif
I sure hope there's a Fall Tech Day.

I decided last night to bow out because the weather forecast assured me it would be raining cats and dogs all day, all weekend...and so what do I wake up to? Blue skies and sun. Sure, maybe a light sprinkle or two, but mostly blue skies and sun.
angry01.gif
Looks like now I have to ride for a good while without my new risers installed.
upset.gif
I sure hope there's a Fall Tech Day.
If your talking about the Helibar risers. I know a guy that can help you out. I installed a set on my bike last year. I have the torque wrenches socket and vacuum bleeder.

Thanks, but no, not Helibars...just the (purportedly easier) GenMar block 1" risers. I've watched the YouTube video, and it looks like it takes two tools and three hands, and I have neither tools and only two hands. ;-) It does look fairly straight-forward, though, so I think even the very mechanically-challenged like me can probably get it done with a minimum of cursing.

I might try going down to an Auto Parts store or similar and see if the tools can be rented. Checked with my dealer and they're quoting an hour or hour-and-a-half at, as I recall, $80/hr. Worth a little elbow grease to save $120.

Oops. I meant to leave the suspension fluid but not the old springs. Sorry, Bryan. If you accidentally dispose of them or give them away that's my problem.

Thanks again to you and Marissa for hosting. You guys put on such an incredible spread. There are always knowledgeable people floating around to give me a hand and "helpful" people like audiowize to ask me, "aren't you an engineer?" after I just transposed the left and right forks. Great advice to upgrade the fork springs after installing the Penske shock, George. Tremendous improvement easily noticeable on the ride home.

I always get to meet a couple of new people as well as see familiar faces, some of them canine. (I think I accidentally left something in the pie marked "Dave's." Oh, well, it's too small for him to notice.)

Yep good day, enjoyed meeting some new folks and seeing the rest of the crew.

And as always Bryan & Marissa thank you, hopefully we can get out for a camping weekend this year.

Many thank yous again, I have not wrenched much in years however this is one of my most looked forward to events every year. Chance to hobnob with many like minded folks. Great cast of individuals. Weatherman tried to bluff us out but it was a great day. Did I mention the food?

What a great day! I just got my bike last month and it just went over 2000 miles on the ride home. This is my first FJR, and I'm still trying to figure out which upgrades and in what order. It was great to see the other FJR setups and to meet the group. Thanks Bryan for hosting and working all day on everyone else's stuff!

Special thanks to Bryan and Marissa for opening their wonderful home to a bunch of biker bums. Fun day and only a little rain leaving the "convergence zone" that is my shack.
Great seeing everyone, always a good time!

--G
We picked the right day here, it has been raining off and on all day today. Mostly sunny yesterday
punk.gif