PNW Tech meet #21 July 20, 2019

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should come up and we can swap the motor in mine for Carvers old motor. Fuel is rushing past the rings and the gears in my transmission are also now toasted. Good project for a Tech Day! Just kidding. I'll be doing the engine swap at home. If I get a chance, I'll drive up in the car, but don't wait up for me.

Carl & Amy

If say a crazy Canuck was to head down for Tech Day is there sufficient skill and experience within the collective to install tapered steering head bearings in a 2016 ES? If so, where would such a fellow source some quality (Timken or similar) bearings?
Asking for a friend
rolleyes.gif
I can bring or ship, specialty tools, ASSuming I can find them again, to remove, install bearings.

BUT, Don't cheap out.. Timkens.. Not All-Im-Crying-Balwz-Off bearings. IMHO..

For an idea what the process looks like..
Don thanks for the links. That process looks very intimidating to me and well beyond my personal skill set.

Are you thinking of coming up for the tech day? If so, and if you're willing to help/lead on this project I will source the bearings and come on down - but otherwise I think I would be way over my head tackling this.

Is Marcus thinking about coming to this shindig?

I took BigJohn and Maddy on a 400 miler dayride to get some lunch in Kaslo on Monday - I sure would like to get the twitchiness in the front end settled down...

OK - new tapered bearings instal seemed like a bridge too far right now, not least of which is that I can't source the bearings.

I did watch Brian Glynn's video on TWO and now I am thinking that it would be worthwhile to do a bearing repack and re-torque first and see if that helps my issue. Are the necessary tools and lithium bearing grease available at your shop Bryan or should I bring some with me? The only specialty tool seems to be the hook wrench for the collar nut that sets the bearing torque - does someone have one of those?

Please add me to the list of merrymakers Bryan - I have your address from last year. See you Saturday!

I have the modified socket the will torque the nuts. I don't have lithium grease, I do have waterproof moly grease. If you want to use lithium, you will need to bring it.

PNW Tech Meet #21, will be July 20, 2019.

For those traveling long distances, and may end up in the Seattle area, please contact me if you need to service your bike (oil change, etc...) before the trip home or to change tires. You can drop ship them out and install when you are here.

Some people have expressed the desire to tackle a valve check, but would like to have someone around to assist/make sure they are doing it correctly. There are several of us here in the PNW who can assist, so please post up the request or PM me, and we'll try to get you paired up with some who can help.

Time for the annual gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday July 20th at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.

Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system
Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you to the recycle - Les Schwab will take then for a nominal fee)
TBS
PAIR system block off
Various electrical and electronic additions
Brake system flush - please RSVP this
Fork rebuilds

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, main course TBD, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Hudson

BeamerReamers

Niehart

escapeFJRtist

Panman

harper

James W

allrider

redneckj

dzane

Seattle Ty?

audiowize +1

chazglenn3

RC65?

pwnsauce

Zeb

Ex Beemerguy

Duster19?

AdamK

FastJoyRide
List is up to date

Regrettably, I have to pass, after all. As of this last weekend, I was all set to finally make one of these things, but now my college-age daughter needs some help with a few things, so plans for this weekend have been altered. Was really hoping to see a sea of FJRs and, in particular, see if a Laam is the be-all, end-all of seats as purported. Oh well -- hopefully next year.

Hi, do you have enough from for one more FJR rider who's looking to swap fluid and seals in the front forks? Thanks for letting me know!

Put me down as a maybe. I don't need any work done, just coming over to hangout for the most part.
Dave
Dave,

Bummer, I will miss out on catching up. Definitely won't be at this one.

I'm an east coaster for another year!

Brian

For anyone planning on meeting at the $5bucks in Carnation, forget about it this year. With 18 closed from I-90 to Issaquah-Hobart, it is a CF to get south from Carnation.

See everyone in Auburn!

~G

Sorry for late notice. Looking forward to attending tomorrow as well. Hoping not to disrupt the mojo by riding my R1200RT. Guessing you have "special" parking for the bimmers. :)

Damn it has been a long time since I have seen you guys!

-Pablo

Plan to see you fella's tomorrow too! Will be myself + a buddy on a gs 1200.

Not planning on eating, just checking out the bikes and BS-ing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bryan and Marisa! A fantastic event as always!

Man, my brake and clutch fluid was nasty! 4 years and 33k miles is WAY to long a flush interval. The clutch reservoir looked like it was full of ink.
not_i.gif
Lesson learned.

Great fun seeing and talking with everyone. Hope to see some of you again soon or at the Reuben Run....

Thanks for hosting again Bryan and Marissa. And yes the food/pie was tasty!

It always so awesome to see all the tribal knowledge put to work. And also how everyone helps where ever they can.

PS: I really miss Charlie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That was exciting, and thank you Brian. Thanks also Dave for the handle bar work. I swear my bike's ride home was sitting prouder. Next year, and hopefully before. Thanks all you guys.