Poor fuel economy with base gas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithe68

Reaction score
Anyone else ever experience truly poor fuel economy after filling up on a military base? My last tank netted me 30mpg, that's a lot lower than normal, actually lower than anything I have ever had with this bike. This happened to me years ago with my 2000 Concours, which I was able to reproduce with other tanks. It's been so long that I had forgotten and wont do again.

I was not accepted by the military in 1974 so was not in, therefore, don't know why military gas is a factor.

So try running the tank as empty as you dare, then refill it with gas from a Chevron, Texaco or place where you figure you can get good gas off base. After running through the tank of gas is the mileage back to normal?

First, I would ask, exactly how are you determining your gas mileage? Using the bike's mpg tally or your own calculator? What kind of mileage were you getting before? Is this a recent thing? Second, I'd ask how does the engine seem to run? Your mileage is down something like 25 percent. Does the power seem to be down 25 percent as well? Is it missing, idling rough, etc.?? I know that a higher percentage of ethanol produces LESS power and fewer miles per gallon, but wow. You'd think that if it were increased ethanol causing the problem, folks would have been notified. I believe most of the country using 10% ethanol. I get 40-42 mpg with my Gen1, and my numbers are on the low side of the FJR range reported on this forum.

Hope that helps

Gary

darksider #44

We have 1 gas station not far from my home that still offers real gas. No ethanol added. Whenever practical I fill up there. Instant boost in fuel mileage. 10-15% higher with no other changes in riding habits or anything else. I know some areas have more than 10% ethanol being added. Perhaps military bases are having this?

First, I would ask, exactly how are you determining your gas mileage? Using the bike's mpg tally or your own calculator? What kind of mileage were you getting before? Is this a recent thing? Second, I'd ask how does the engine seem to run? Your mileage is down something like 25 percent. Does the power seem to be down 25 percent as well? Is it missing, idling rough, etc.?? I know that a higher percentage of ethanol produces LESS power and fewer miles per gallon, but wow. You'd think that if it were increased ethanol causing the problem, folks would have been notified. I believe most of the country using 10% ethanol. I get 40-42 mpg with my Gen1, and my numbers are on the low side of the FJR range reported on this forum.
Hope that helps

Gary

darksider #44
I calculate my fuel economy myself, the built in computers on vehicles are ok for a spot check but I have never found them to be really that accurate.

Lowest fuel economy prior to this tank was 41 mpg.

Everything else seems fine, plenty of power all around, running smoothly, etc.

I was talking this over with a couple of riding buddies after work, all with different types of motorcycles, all have reported similar issues with their bikes. From one of them, "I never thought much about it, but I've had problems with the wing as well. For that reason if I do fill on base I put in 3 ounces of Lucas Fuel treatment (and it works wonderful)." Oddly enough, none of us can remember a time where it had an affect on our cars though.

"DON'T ASK...DON'T TELL!"
rofl.gif

Take a one gallon gas can to the station some time and make sure a gallon is a gallon.

Short pours can affect your mileage.

That does sound like really bad mileage, bad gas or not. In my experience though, base gas is usually quite bad. My first bike, a 1992 Suzuki GS500E actually stalled several times after filling up on base at Travis AFB. On base gas in Europe was no better. Ramstein gas had enough water and crap in it that my Check Engine light lit on my Saab 9-3 Turbo after filling up on base, so I started only using the coupons to fill up off base. I did have to fill up on base at Mildenhall on a TDY and I didn't even get out of the lot at the station there before the Check Engine light came on there! Ever since, I never fill up on base. In fact, I only put Top Tier gas in my cars and the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator: