Possible group buy for heated clothing.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested, too. Maybe in two pretty much full coverage sets with dual controllers, but definitely one for me. Been away from computer too much or too busy for much of last couple weeks and have been watching this thread for further updates on the questions you guys are asking.

FightOrFlight, thanks for writing. I haven't been able to try on gear in my area. I'm interested in your comments on the Gerbing gloves. I was under the impression that the G3's are less bulky than the classic.
Shifter:

You are correct, they are less bulky. But they are also more stiff (would probably break-in) and didn't have the relaxed grip position that the Classics had. I wouldn't have anticipated this from the web description, but I actually found the Classics to be softer, more pliable than the G3s. I had the good fortune of having two shops in town that carried all of these gloves and could try them on, sit on a bike to practice shift feel, even ride for a day and return if necessary.

In the end, the Classics just felt better to me and I couldn't justify the extra $40 on the G3's just because they looked a little better. One other anomaly that I can't quite reconcile: I was under the impression that Gerbing's ran a little snug and that up-sizing was standard. I wear an XL in all my gloves. The XL G3 gloves fit snug-wise, but the fingers were too long by at least a 1/2 inch. They did not have a L for me to try. I tried the XL and L in the Classics and ended up going with the L. They fit perfectly and I imagine they will give a bit. I don't know what to make of that and I hesitate to say this because I don't want to steer anyone one direction or another. Just relaying what happened on my search.

FWIW, Donelson Cycles in St. Louis (St. Anne store) had several in stock (as of Tuesday).

I hate to be a pessimist...but it's what I do best.

I never really thought...by the verbage used by Oly (check post #1)...that we were all that close to any solid deal.

i.e. not sure which manufacture or which supplier to use.

I hope I'm wrong...but it's been about a month since the introduction and still no closer.

Gerbing is a listed vendor at next week's International Motorcycle Show in Phoenix. I guess I'll be checking

stuff out there and HOPING that they give show-discounts. If they do, I'll post back and maybe you can

check them out at one of the 13 shows if one is near you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never really thought...by the verbage used by Oly (check post #1)...that we were all that close to any solid deal.

I hope I'm wrong...but it's been about a month since the introduction and still no closer.

Gerbing is a listed vendor at next week's International Motorcycle Show in Phoenix. I guess I'll be checking

stuff out there and HOPING that they give show-discounts. If they do, I'll post back and maybe you can

Excellent. That would be very helpful since I will not be able to go to the show until Dec 5th. If they are having specials I want to get the Powerlet install so Iwill be ready to go once I get the gear. I am only going to buy it if they are having a pretty good sale. Thanks for letting us know and updating us from Phoenix.

Still no word from Oly. I agreed to give him until the 28th to get this going. Since I don't really see that happening (based on the fact that he hasn't even logged into the Forum since the 16th of Oct) ya'll can plan on me launching my GB on the 28th.

Stand buy for additional info in a different thread early next week.

:dntknw:

Stand buy for additional info in a different thread early next week.
Excellent, Gunny -- looks like I'll be watching for it.
I'm working the details this weekend so that I can just pull the trigger first thing Tuesday when I get home from work.

Please note, this will be FirstGear, not Gerbings. Sorry guys. (But I've been told the controllers work for either brand).

Last year there were no discounts---straight retail.

The only time I've ever seen Gerbing stuff discounted is when it was actually "used" rather than new. They do a pretty careful job of holding price. Even vendors who are generally willing to discount significantly with other items tend to hold the line on Gerbing.

You can buy directly from Gerbing at msrp, you can buy from on-line retailers at msrp, or you can buy from a physical store at msrp.

Even with all this price support, Gerbing dealers seem few and far between. I think we've got two of them in the entire state of Tennessee. On the bright side, at least the one over in Jackson (Bob's House of Honda) tends to stock a fair selection of stuff and seems to understand the products well enough to do demos and give good product information.

The quality appears high, and the warranty on the electric stuff is as good as it gets, i.e., lifetime. Another nice thing about Gerbing is that they do have stock larger sizes for the " big guys," although they could do even better in this regard.

Obviously customers are interested in any kind of discount at this time of year in the northern hemisphere, but its precisely the time when the manufacturer is less interested since demand is naturally high already. Someone might want to remember this and consider organizing a group buy on heated gear next May. :pooh_honey:

I bought my winter goods yesterday, just couldn't wait. I found a great site with the great prices. (www.tonker.com) The prices are already the lowest I've found and they offer promo code BAB for an additional 5% off. No Gerbing, but they do have tourmaster / firstgear. For instance, the Synergy Jacket Liner is priced at $161.99...pretty good, with the BAB discount it's $153.89. The catch is no free shipping with the BAB discount so you have to order enough to keep the value over free shipping. I ordered about $700 worth of stuff and still saved $18 over the free shipping only offer.

FYI.

I bought my winter goods yesterday, just couldn't wait. I found a great site with the great prices. (www.tonker.com) The prices are already the lowest I've found and they offer promo code BAB for an additional 5% off. No Gerbing, but they do have tourmaster / firstgear. For instance, the Synergy Jacket Liner is priced at $161.99...pretty good, with the BAB discount it's $153.89. The catch is no free shipping with the BAB discount so you have to order enough to keep the value over free shipping. I ordered about $700 worth of stuff and still saved $18 over the free shipping only offer.
FYI.
So what all did you get? Was the bike already set up with Powerlet?

Someone mentioned Tonker as a supplier. I've found them to be reliable. I used to also find them to be among the best for price, but in recent shopping, I've found I can't just assume that Tonker has the best price anymore.

Regarding how to hook the stuff up, with at least some of their items Gerbing includes a wiring harness with direct connection to the battery and their own proprietary connector to interface to the clothing. I've got an SAE 2 pin fused pig tail off my battery. Its out of the way and not too obvious sticking out with the other wires and such by the battery. Its capped when not in use. It didn't require any cutting on the FJR. Gerbing will sell you a $5 connector that is SAE 2 pin on one end and Gerbing proprietary connector (you specify either male or female) on the other end.

Last edited by a moderator:
2006FJR...I bought the Synergy Jacket/Pants liners, gloves, Cortech GX Air 2 jacket, Cortech Acc gloves and a sport cover...I've been off road for a few years, need a lot of new gear. Goody. I'm pig tailing off the battery terminal for connection. I think the FJR's power peak power output is 430W...should be able to run all of this with no trouble. I don't have my bike yet, so I don't have a manual to read, it's on a train...two more weeks. I'll just wear my gear around the house and to the gym making motorcycle sounds until then.

I'm working the details this weekend so that I can just pull the trigger first thing Tuesday when I get home from work.Please note, this will be FirstGear, not Gerbings. Sorry guys. (But I've been told the controllers work for either brand).
Excellent Gunny. I'm hoping you get all the details posted before next weekend, when I go to the Phoenix show.

Thanks!

Last year there were no discounts---straight retail.
Well, at least I should be able to try stuff on; see which gloves I prefer, and what size jacket fits best.

Excellent Gunny. I'm hoping you get all the details posted before next weekend, when I go to the Phoenix show.Thanks!
No worries there. Let's not forget that Oly still has time to take a crack at this, as I don't wish to step on his toes here. That being said, you can be certain (barring any horrendous industrial accidents) that I'll have the details available on Tuesday Oct 28th before I go to bed if Oly's plan doesn't work out. I'm ready. Vendor is ready. Just waiting on Oly.

:ph34r:

HOLY FAST SHIPPING BATMAN! I ordered my stuff yesterday from Tonker.com and it's here! Not only is it here, but it's actually the right stuff! Wow.

Got a reply from Oly today. He's been pretty busy with unrelated stuff. He stated that if he couldn't get things rolling SOON he would hand this over.

I have a local dealer of Gerbings. I might just stop by and see if they would be willing to do a group buy. If they are interested, I'll check in with Oly first to see if his is going to happen. I sure don't have the Warchild (golden touch) to group buys. Got the big NO, last time I tried one. :)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.