Possible group buy for heated clothing.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on the Gerbing's line right now because they have liners for jackets, pants, gloves, and socks; as well as regular heated gloves. If that falls through I will go for the Firstgear line which only has jacket liners and gloves.

I don't know who carries the Tourmaster line of heated gear in my area so I'm not pursuing the Tourmaster line at this time.

I am in for a liner, gloove liner and controller! I hope this GB goes thru. Good luck.

I'm interested, but looking for advice as well before I commit. This is my first winter looking to commute on a bike and I was kinda thinking to wait until I see what got cold first so I would know better what to buy. On the other hand, I don't want to pass up an opportunity to buy stuff I will need. (I'm in Oregon and will ride into the 30s, with cold rain). I think I already buy the argument that its better to get heated gloves then add heated grips...

So, what advice would you guys give a newbie to winter riding in terms of gear?

- Controller, gloves or glove liners (I have FirstGear lined, not heated, gloves currently), jacket liner (I have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket)?

I am in for a liner, gloove liner and controller! I hope this GB goes thru. Good luck.
LOL - Barabus moves to Seattle now he's all into electrics! :clapping:

oh, me too. Just got figure out what I need.

I spoke with the vendor that I am hoping to use for the Gerbing's GB/SB and they want a list of who wants to buy, including what they want to order including sizes before they will discuss what the discount will be.
Here's what I'm gonna do... Since I'm sure my PM will fill up to fast to keep up send me an email to Diverdown419 at hotmail dot com and tell me what you want to order. Include the sizes of them and I'll compile a list. Once we have 20 people who are definitely going to order I will take him the list with names and an invoice of what you want to order. Then I will see what kind of discount he will give.

They will ship but it will not be part of the discount.

Email me your real names for the invoice so if this goes through they will know who on the list. Hopefully this gets going since it's starting to get cold in the mornings.
I would really like to know what the discount is going to be before I commit to placing an order.

I'm in for Gerbing gloves if it happens.

Cary

What's the status? Are we close? I'm getting freaking cold here... :cray:

It is going to be in the low 90s here today with the Santa Ana winds. All this could change pretty quick and I want to be ready. There is a motorcycle show in Long Beach the first week of December in Long Beach that I am also thinking about buying heated gear at if this does materialize.

Has anyone heard from Oly? I sent a couple of emails, but haven't gotten a response - my hands were freezing this morning (saw 34 degrees on the display at freeway speeds). I WANT SOME HEATED GEAR :)

I did a little research on the two a while back and read somewhere that First Gear is made by Gerbing...or vice versa.
Actually, it's Warm-n-Safe that makes the gear for FirstGear.

I am working on the Gerbing's line right now because they have liners for jackets, pants, gloves, and socks; as well as regular heated gloves. If that falls through I will go for the Firstgear line which only has jacket liners and gloves.
Not true, actually. They also have a heated pants liner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello? OlyFJR? Are you still with us?

But seriously folks, I've PM'd Oly and emailed Oly to see if this thing is still in the works or not. Like last year, I have a plan. But, and that's a big 'ol but, I won't execute my plan if Oly is still on board with his plan. Oly, if you're not getting the results that you'd like from your vendors, please let me know. I have a vendor. The vendor is standing by.

Oly, the ball is in your court.

GunMD

I spoke with the vendor that I am hoping to use for the Gerbing's GB/SB and they want a list of who wants to buy, including what they want to order including sizes before they will discuss what the discount will be.
Here's what I'm gonna do... Since I'm sure my PM will fill up to fast to keep up send me an email to Diverdown419 at hotmail dot com and tell me what you want to order. Include the sizes of them and I'll compile a list. Once we have 20 people who are definitely going to order I will take him the list with names and an invoice of what you want to order. Then I will see what kind of discount he will give.

They will ship but it will not be part of the discount.

Email me your real names for the invoice so if this goes through they will know who on the list. Hopefully this gets going since it's starting to get cold in the mornings.
I would really like to know what the discount is going to be before I commit to placing an order.
+1 here, any idea of yhe discount ?

I'm impatient. But the upside is that I have a personal anecdote to share. Last week, I purchased a dual Heat Troller and First Gear (Warm 'n Safe) heated gloves. The install was easy and I ended up just using industrial Velcro (black) to hold the controller to the bike on the fairing above my left knee. When I rode with the FG gloves, I noticed a hard and very hot spot in my thumbs - the left one in particular. It was bad enough that it left a mark for a couple of hours. That said, I felt almost no heat in the index finger. Lastly, the rubber wiper blade which is sewn in to the left hand index finger hits the clutch lever when shifting and creates an odd feel.

I returned the FG gloves and picked up some Gerbing's. I tried on both the G3 and the Classic and, even though they are little bit more bulky, I liked the feel of the Classic (not as stiff, better fit, articulated knuckles good). The heat feels to me to be more radiant and even. Not hot spots. No sense of hard wires on the hand. The WnS Heat Troller works fine with the Gerbing's gear, FWIW.

That's it - just wanted to relay a recent personal experience relevant to those of you about to purchase heated gear.

FightOrFlight, thanks for writing. I haven't been able to try on gear in my area. I'm interested in your comments on the Gerbing gloves. I was under the impression that the G3's are less bulky than the classic.

I might be interested in a liner from Gerbings to go with the gloves I already have. Just waiting to verify fundage before saying I'm totally in.

Status
Not open for further replies.