Possible to Drill out right Blank mirror hole for radio mount?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridafeeger

Reaction score
My search didn't get the answer I was looking for so here goes another question....

I have an 05 FJR and need to mount my Sirius radio on the right side of handlebars...

The 05 has the hole covered on the right side of the brake reservoir. Can this be drilled out safely and tapped to be useful like the extra mirror hole on the left hand clutch side? :blink: Help would be appreciated.

On my '03, the pre-tapped hole in the (standard yamaha part) reservior was covered with a little plastic peice.

Is it possible there's a plastic cover on your's that you're mistaking as part of the main peice?

I talked to skyway about this during a few questions I had with his audiovox CC mount.

He mentioned that it can be done but I decided to go with his new mount design, rather than tackle a drill/tap of the RH mirror mount.

I am sure someone here has done it but my response is:

-It is possible and doesn't look that difficult.

I might even still do it if I run out of farkle mount locations.

Let us know how it turns out (with pictures please)

Not sure about the 04 RH side

03 RH have cover over threaded hole

05 RH is not drilled & tapped

06 was a compete re-design for mirror mounts (I believe they are completely gone)

I talked to skyway about this during a few questions I had with his audiovox CC mount.He mentioned that it can be done but I decided to go with his new mount design, rather than tackle a drill/tap of the RH mirror mount.

I am sure someone here has done it but my response is:

-It is possible and doesn't look that difficult.

I might even still do it if I run out of farkle mount locations.

Let us know how it turns out (with pictures please)

Not sure about the 04 RH side

03 RH have cover over threaded hole

05 RH is not drilled & tapped

06 was a compete re-design for mirror mounts (I believe they are completely gone)
All the above information is correct and I will clarify that the 06 'A' model does have the left side tapped hole as in previous model years. There is no spot for drilling on the right side of the 06 'A' or 'AE' model FJR.

I believe that the 03 fjr that has a predrilled hole on the right side is an M10x1.25mm "left" hand thread.

The right side of both the 04 and 05 FJR can easily be drilled and tapped as you would do with any piece of aluminum. You will need an M10x1.25mm "right" hand tap. Drill size would be 8.75mm.

Just remember if you decide to do this that the M10x1.25mm is a fine pitch metric thread vs. the more commonly used M10x1.5mm thread.

Thanks to the input from Skyway and Pawtracks - I drilled out the right side hole by the brake reservoir for a single bolt installation of a Sirrius radio farkle. All went perfectly - very easy and it gives you an expanded area to add a mount - here are pictures of before and after of what I did.

newmirrorholedrilledonrightsidebefo.jpg

newholeafterdrilling.jpg

finalprojectresults.jpg

I'm glad it worked out for you. What size thread did you end up tapping, as It doesn't look like M10?

Nice job, love to see the back side. I can't figure out how you mount the radio to the bolt. I have the same radio. Where did you put the antenna? :blink:

OHIOFJR1300 -

I disassembled the mount that came with my Starmate and used parts of it to hold the radio onto the bolt now mounted on the FJR - pics below:

backofmount.jpg

newmirrorholedrilledonrightside011.jpg

SiriusAntennawithverbage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job there! But the print is really small and hard to read... I guess i am getting old! :(

Need to take those extra keys off the same ring as the ignition... Trust me on this.... :)

Ok - "enlarged" verbage for those of us with less than perfect eyes.

extra keys on bike are for GIVI trunk and locks for wheel locks. Duplicate set of everything kept off the bike. B)