Possible TPS issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eflyguy

Reaction score
Occasionally the bike feels like it's hesitating at low throttle opening. If I'm cruising around town and only using a fraction of the throttle, the bike sometimes feels like it's stalling for just a moment. No issue at any other throttle position, and it only happens now and then.

Not talking about stalling while idling - idle is set to about 1150 (was much lower when I bought the bike so I fixed that ASAP.)

Has a PC3 but I doubt it's the map because it only happens now and then. After thinking about it, I wonder if the TPS is not working correctly at that throttle setting?

Thoughts?

(I did search and could not find anything similar)

What RPM are you trying to roll-on from? If you're below 2500 RPM, then the hesitation is just being completely out of the power band.

That is not the typical symptoms of the TPS failing.
Here's a link to the pinned thread on the TPS recall which goes into what those symptoms are.
Thanks. I did read that first. Mine is 2008 and those aren't my symptoms.

What RPM are you trying to roll-on from? If you're below 2500 RPM, then the hesitation is just being completely out of the power band.
Doesn't make any difference, it's only throttle position that matters, and it's not consistent.

Is it popping (backfiring) on deceleration?
Nope. AIS is removed and the PC3 map seems fine (butt dyno..)

Have you run any diagnostics ?
No - but there's a thought. I assume you mean on the TPS. Didn't think of that, thanks! (I have the service manual)..

I have the same symptom, but apples to oranges, as mine is a stock 2014. My TPS tested within specs for me and for the dealership. Good luck.

Thx. I'm not going to worry about it for now, don't want to be messing down in the guts right before a trip..