Powder coating wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... sorry RadioHowie - my oven is only big enough to do wheels and luggage racks, not frames. :unsure:
Wonder if we could Powder Coat Howie?? I'm thinkin' purple....

2540024450_e4c5896732purpleman.jpg

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
oh boy! I might just need to do this. I bet it cost me $200 to ship he wheels.
-bet not. Send them Parcel post or UPS ground. I sent the last ones packed in a single box. I used pieces of foam pipe insulation (from my water heater) stuck on the rims edges to keep the two wheels apart. I them strapped them together with packing tape so they wouldn't bounce around.

I have an 09 with black rims...not sure if I still like it though.....Maybe get them chromed or polished? or some after market rims....anybody????

oh boy! I might just need to do this. I bet it cost me $200 to ship he wheels.
-bet not. Send them Parcel post or UPS ground. I sent the last ones packed in a single box. I used pieces of foam pipe insulation (from my water heater) stuck on the rims edges to keep the two wheels apart. I them strapped them together with packing tape so they wouldn't bounce around.
Gary,

You had to tell me that! Ok lets see what happens this summer. It is going have to be on the next set of tires since I am getting new tires next week and going on trip. That is too short of a turn around right now. Do you use a regular oven for the parts or do you have a specific powder coating oven?

That is cool!

You did an excellent job on that. Thanks for posting the photo.

I built a single use oven once so I could drape form a windshield for an antique boat. That was really fun.

That brings back a lot of memories.

Here are some pictures of the black wheels on my '09. It's hard to get a picture to show the exact texture; I'd describe them as having the same style of finish as the '04 (I think all gens are close to the same save for color). It's not a glossy finish, more like a bead - blasted texture in black. Hope this helps.

2009FJRrearwheel2.jpg

-wr

nice cooker garry. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

btw, thanks for light mounts. excellent stuff again.

MA

What color is the shaft drive assembly on the 09s? I was wondering how it would look black wheels with ther silver shaft drive assembly.

If one PC's the drive assymbly IMO the forks would now look out of place. Personally I would like to have a wide pinstripe on the outer edge of the wheels. If the wheel is gray use black for the stripe, black wheel use a grey stripe. Sometimes less is best. Just thinking out loud. Back to your normal broadcast...PM. <>< :unsure:

Here are some pictures of the black wheels on my '09. It's hard to get a picture to show the exact texture; I'd describe them as having the same style of finish as the '04 (I think all gens are close to the same save for color). It's not a glossy finish, more like a bead - blasted texture in black. Hope this helps.
2009FJRrearwheel2.jpg

-wr
Yes, that helps!

Thanks

Gary,

My wheels might be coming your way sooner than I thought. My trip was canceled so they are all yours on my next tire change which is coming up very soon.

I will PM you when I am ready. I like the matte black.

Latest posts