Powder coating wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my R1 wheels powder coated. They really looked great. I would do it to the FJR if it were not for dealing with buying and replacing wheel bearings.
:blink:

Are you saying one needs to replace the wheel bearings if you do this? I thought one could just press them out, PC the rims and press them back in. Even if you do need to replace them - could it be that expensive?

Thanks

Scott
Had to beat them out. I would not want to use them after that.

Folks- I've read a bit more on the world wide web that powder coating cast aluminum wheels can be more difficult to PC and may not have the best quality finish in the end due to the substrate being porous :blink: . So- I guess my first question is are the FJR rims cast aluminum? And second, if so - can they be powder coated appropriately?

Thanks

Scott

Scott, Quit being a boink... Didn't ya see them wheels Gerauld done? They be somewhere in this thread. :p

:jester:

The FJR wheels should be easy. I plan to wet sand them with 400 grit and then prebake them to 220°. I'll then spray them with powder - hot flocking it's called - and then final bake at 400° or so. They should come out nice. I see no reason to remove the old finish first.

The FJR wheels should be easy. I plan to wet sand them with 400 grit and then prebake them to 220°. I'll then spray them with powder - hot flocking it's called - and then final bake at 400° or so. They should come out nice. I see no reason to remove the old finish first.
Sounds like you have a plan. :good:

Here are a few mentions of the 'issues' with PCing cast aluminum.

Link 1

Link 2

Let us all know, when you get your rims done!

I may send my rims to you to work your magic!

Scott