Powder coating wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
I'm going to powder coat my '08 wheels black. But- I'm not sure what specific color or sheen and i'm looking for some help. Seems like there are 400 black coatings out there. Does anybody know the specific '09 rim color? Also - what should I look for in a PCer? I do have some local shops here in Seattle. Also, how many coats of PC is appropriate?

What else?

Grazi Mates

Scott

I haven't seen the 09 wheels, I assume they are silver?...figures that Yamaha would put silver wheels on a black motorcycle, and black wheels on a silver one...I've been wanting to either powder coat my 03 black wheels to match the rest of the bike, or else find a good set off a later model...

I haven't seen the 09 wheels, I assume they are silver?...figures that Yamaha would put silver wheels on a black motorcycle, and black wheels on a silver one...I've been wanting to either powder coat my 03 black wheels to match the rest of the bike, or else find a good set off a later model...
Negative. The '08 Raven has silver/gray wheels, but the '09 has black ones. Look at the Forum banner...

Which brings up a great point, Zenwhipper. Maybe there is an '09 guy that wants silver wheels you could trade with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I'm going to do mine soon in satin black. Just got the new skins, have a new Cycle Hill changer - now just need some time...

I've been wanting to either powder coat my 03 black wheels to match the rest of the bike, or else find a good set off a later model...
Careful. The 2003 models have different size brake rotors. I'm not sure if that has any impact on the wheels or not. They could be the same bolt pattern, but I don't know. Worth checking before you swap wheels w/ someone.

I've heard this not sure on the total process of powder coating but, in order to get the coating to flow as a liquid and adhere to the rim there is some baking at rather high heat. This could damage the aluminum rim. FYI

I've heard this not sure on the total process of powder coating but, in order to get the coating to flow as a liquid and adhere to the rim there is some baking at rather high heat. This could damage the aluminum rim.
Hasn't been a problem from discussions on other boards. The baking temp is in the range of 375-400° depending on the powder being used.

Here's a set of GSXR wheels I did a while back in matte black:

P1000926.jpg

Yep, 400 degrees shouldn't hurt the aluminum, and to one of the other earlier question; one coat is all that is required (and probably possible).

I had my R1 wheels powder coated. They really looked great. I would do it to the FJR if it were not for dealing with buying and replacing wheel bearings.

powder-1.jpg

powder-2.jpg

I had my R1 wheels powder coated. They really looked great. I would do it to the FJR if it were not for dealing with buying and replacing wheel bearings.
:blink:

Are you saying one needs to replace the wheel bearings if you do this? I thought one could just press them out, PC the rims and press them back in. Even if you do need to replace them - could it be that expensive?

Thanks

Scott

How does tire changing affect the powder coating and does it affect the way the bead sets in the rim? Would it make sense to base coat the wheel with paint in a similar color as the PC so that any chips would only expose a complimentary, not contrasting color?

Don't do any sort of gloss when powdercoating, when you wash it, you will put tiny scratches in the finish and after a few years will look dull. If you want a shine to them your going to need to paint and clear them. I had my SV frame powdercoated and it turned out great.. For rims expect to to pay 150 per rim, that includes beadblasting to even the finish and remove any sort of coating and powdercoating. If you can removing the bearings and valve stems might lower your cost a bit.

There's already a thread re: PCing wheels, but I will PC your clean wheel w/o brgs for $50 plus shipping. If I have to wash it and remove the brgs, it will be a bit more. PM me if you wish to pursue. B)

There's already a thread re: PCing wheels, but I will PC your clean wheel w/o brgs for $50 plus shipping. If I have to wash it and remove the brgs, it will be a bit more. PM me if you wish to pursue. B)
Damn decent of you!

Wicked Webby, paging Wicked Webby! You might as well go all the way man!

garauld, I had to join Netflicks just so I could rent Brazil ;)

Damn decent of you!

Wicked Webby, paging Wicked Webby! You might as well go all the way man!

garauld, I had to join Netflicks just so I could rent Brazil ;)
Joe,

Good point... I have been considering this too!

WW