Power Commander III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pier

Reaction score
I would like to get some input from people who have installed a PC III on their Yamaha FJR1300. Mine is a 2005 and after manually setting all three RPM ranges to the "richest bar", I have noticed no changes whatsoever. My neighbour has the exact same bike without the PC III and we tried them out in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear and we were side by side. Should I expect changes, more h.p., better acceleration with a richer air-fuel mixture? Should I try going to the "leaner" side? I am kind of frustrated ....money spent and no results.

pier

Personally, I installed the PCIII on my 05 to cure the low RPM lean/surging problem experienced by most owners, not for a performance increase. Without additional modifications and dyno tuning, I don't know if you should expect any power increase.

Personally, I installed the PCIII on my 05 to cure the low RPM lean/surging problem experienced by most owners, not for a performance increase. Without additional modifications and dyno tuning, I don't know if you should expect any power increase.
Power Commanders are GREAT fine tuning tools if used correctly in conjunction with the DYNO. Don't expect any big gains. If you use a dyno and tune it up you can get some minor gains. They are mainly for ride ability issues. If your messing with the map values or settings and don't have a dyno to check them with you will probably be effectively De-tuning your ride. If your fuel deliver is too fat, you will be loosing HP! If it is too lean, the same but you could also risk burning up the valves or pistons.

The only way to really truly know is to shell out the dough and put your bike on the dyno and tune it up.

WW

I would like to get some input from people who have installed a PC III on their Yamaha FJR1300. Mine is a 2005 and after manually setting all three RPM ranges to the "richest bar", I have noticed no changes whatsoever. My neighbour has the exact same bike without the PC III and we tried them out in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear and we were side by side. Should I expect changes, more h.p., better acceleration with a richer air-fuel mixture? Should I try going to the "leaner" side? I am kind of frustrated ....money spent and no results.
pier
Rich doesn't mean power. It means more fuel, yes, but unless you've matched that with more air, then the extra fuel goes out the tailpipe. All you're adjusting is mixture, and doing it blindly is, well, very bad.

I didn't dyno mine, I installed the already-worked-out Wally Smoothness map to address response issues in the stock fuel delivery. The stock system is very lean at low speeds, probably for emissions, and rather abrupt on and off throttle. That's what that map was made for.

You're not gonna get 30 magic HP from a PCIII.

Last edited by a moderator:
And did you remember to unhook the oxegen sensor?

And on that note, anyone know if you install the 0 map and leave the O2 sensor plugged in will the bike run like the PC3 isn't even there? I just installed mine this morning and I want to get a couple tanks of gas through it before I load a real map.

And on that note, anyone know if you install the 0 map and leave the O2 sensor plugged in will the bike run like the PC3 isn't even there? I just installed mine this morning and I want to get a couple tanks of gas through it before I load a real map.
Why do you want to do that? :dntknw:

pier
As others have said, on the Gen1 FJR the PCIII is a rideability/smoothness mod. Not a performance one. Also, the wide adjustment offered by the buttons on the face are not really appropriate for this machine. I assume you know that the software is available online along with the maps. A USB cable and the 409-001 "stock bike" map or the "Wally" map is a good place to start if you have no exhaust mods. If you have some straight through aftermarket cans, then the 409-002 is one to try. Of course the ultimate is the tuning link, but expect a $150-250 session depending on the venue.

The wally map could very well result in noticeably LESS power at certain higher rpm regions. This was the result on my bike (an '05) and others have noted the same effect. The "stock bike" map does not have this issue. Comparing the two maps you can clearly see the areas where the wally map is considerably leaner. Some folks have even combined the maps (lower rpm's from wally map and higher rpm's from stock map)

I've installed PCIII's on not only cruisers but also my FJR1300. The only way to maximize the unit and really utilize it, is to have the bike Dyno'd by a professional. Even downloading a map for a specific Farkle, will not get everything out of it. I put Holeshot Exhausts with the entire header system on my FJR and downloaded his map and still was too lean in areas and too rich in others. Taking it to EDR performance and getting it on the dyno cleaned everything up and made it a smooth power curve which is what you want.

Yep, and if you are going to do the tuning link make sure you do a good, fully warmed up TB sync the day before. Would be a shame if your expensive custom map was tainted by a rogue cylinder throwing off the O2 sniffer and spoiling the curve for the others. The thing only takes a composite sample from the can unless you have a super guy doing the "advanced mode" tune and you have rivnuts.

Why do you want to do that? :dntknw:

Because I have 6 month old gas in the tank which by now is probaly about 85 octane and half of its way to being varnish. I just put on my leo vince cans and I want to be sure I can feel the "baseline" before I start playing with maps.

Pier:

I installed a PC-III on my 2006, and can tell you that it has made an absolute huge difference.

I have done the following.

Disconnected the O2 sensor. (This is a must with the PC-III, read your instructions)

I installed a combination of the 01 map with Wally's smoothness settings to 3000 rpm.

The result has been perfect throttle response in all RPM ranges, along with a "feels like" 10 HP in the top RPM ranges.

My bike is all stock.

I just got to ride the FJR after getting the new seat..while it was down I installed new headers from Dale and his map.....really sweet, picked up lots of bottom and mid range power :yahoo: I don't care about the extra 10 hp on the top end since the bikes plenty fast but the added power where I use it is very welcome. And the sound :D Very different!

cary

pier
You need to load a custom map, or better yet have one made via dyno shop, not just diddle the +/- buttons on the face of the unit.

Doesn't someone have the instructions for setting the throttle position without having the bike running? I thought I rmember reading how to do that way back when.

Doesn't someone have the instructions for setting the throttle position without having the bike running? I thought I rmember reading how to do that way back when.
The way I do it is to hook up a 9v battery via the little connector/harness that they provided with the PCIII, then turn the ignition switch on (you don't need to start the bike) and you can characterize the throttle position.

You can upload and down loadmaps to/from the PCIII with the 9V battery and the key switch off, but it won't read the TPS until you turn the switch on.

All manuals and the latest software are available for download at their web site.

Take it to a shop with a dyno and spend the money if you want to know exactly what improvements are made. I have the PCIII with a map to smooth the bike out and better throttle response. IMO it makes plenty of power for me.....power wheelies without a problem.