Power Commander Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

War Machine

Zero Altitude Test Pilot
Reaction score
After the demise of my 06, I took the Power Commander III & installed it on my 08. I have run it this way (with the O2 sensor connected) K & N filter & stock exhaust ever since. The bike runs very well although rich (can smell it) with gas mileage down around 32 mpg.

I recently installled a pair of Blue Flame slipons. Which sound & look fabulous. The problem is I now want to disconnect the O2 sensor & install a different map, but everytime I disconnect the O2 sensor I get an engine light on. I looked at the wires for the O2 sensor down where the sensor connects into the exhaust. The 3 wires are white, black & blue. After lifting the gas tank & pulling back on the heat shield, I found a connector with the same 3 colors on the right side of the bike & disconnected it. The problem is everytime I do so the engine light comes on. Am I disconnecting the wrong connector? On the 06 when I installed the PCIII I was able to disconnect the O2 down at the sensor (on the 08 you can"t) and the bike ran great. It corrected that dreaded lean surge.

Before anyone suggests the spark plugs as a reason for the low mileage....they were changed at 10K (1k ago) & the K&N was cleaned at this time too. The old plugs that came out were near perfect condition without any carbon build up or discoloration.

Has any one had a similar problem. What am I overlooking?

After the demise of my 06, I took the Power Commander III & installed it on my 08. I have run it this way (with the O2 sensor connected) K & N filter & stock exhaust ever since. The bike runs very well although rich (can smell it) with gas mileage down around 32 mpg.
I recently installled a pair of Blue Flame slipons. Which sound & look fabulous. The problem is I now want to disconnect the O2 sensor & install a different map, but everytime I disconnect the O2 sensor I get an engine light on. I looked at the wires for the O2 sensor down where the sensor connects into the exhaust. The 3 wires are white, black & blue. After lifting the gas tank & pulling back on the heat shield, I found a connector with the same 3 colors on the right side of the bike & disconnected it. The problem is everytime I do so the engine light comes on. Am I disconnecting the wrong connector? On the 06 when I installed the PCIII I was able to disconnect the O2 down at the sensor (on the 08 you can"t) and the bike ran great. It corrected that dreaded lean surge.

Before anyone suggests the spark plugs as a reason for the low mileage....they were changed at 10K (1k ago) & the K&N was cleaned at this time too. The old plugs that came out were near perfect condition without any carbon build up or discoloration.

Has any one had a similar problem. What am I overlooking?
I may be totally nuts here, but I thought I saw something about a change to a heated O2 sensor, and if that's the case, the engine light might be the result of the ECU detecting a broken circuit on the O2 heater wire? I seem to think I saw something about a change to the O2 sensor sometime in the Gen 2 era...

When I disconnected what I thought was the O2 sensor on my '07 I got an engine light indicating a problem. I did some additional research and found that I disconnected the wrong connector located in the same vicinity as the "real" O2 sensor. The Gen II O2 sensor is a black connector that has 4 wires (2 black, 1 white, 1 blue). When I did the correct disconnect, there was no engine light.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 2006 manual I see a 3-wire plug as the cylinder identification sensor, which would definitely throw a code. The O2 sensor has 4 wires.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Bob was right, it's a black connector with 2 black, 1 white, & 1 blue wire. I disconnected it today, no engine light & it's running strong. Sometime this week I'll borrow my son's laptop & install a new map.

I'll discuss which map I wound up using & tell how well it ran after the wife & I go riding along the Deleware River this Memorial Day weekend.

May even through in a pic or two of the new Blue Flames.

Last edited by a moderator: