Preventable FJR Failures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of all of the issues with FJRs during the '17 rally, but was involved in two near-failures and wanted to comment to this group as I think they were likely preventable prior to running the rally. The FJR is nearly bullet proof to begin with, but it's not without a few issues...and I think they could be even more bulletproof by reiterating two potential issues for 2019 rider.

Relay-Arm Bearing. Greasing and/or replacement. This one issue I'm intimately familiar because I nearly didn't finish either 2009 or 2013 because of it and think maybe Greg L. in 2017 was affected. I had chalked it up as shock failure or my fat ass combined with full rally gear, but KNOW that my shocks died because I ignored one particular bearing on the relay. It's a total PITA to get the relay arm off because you have to cut off bolts that Yamaha should have installed 180 degrees, reef on the headers to get the bolt out, and/or cut them off and replace them JUST to get to the bearing...and then grease them if they're not toast or replace them if they are. If you have 30,000 or more miles on your FJR and not had this bearing out to take a serious look DO. It won't kill a shock suddenly, but I'll confess that my FJR with 160,000 miles was killing rear shock seals in less than 10,000 miles. I put a stocker in Vegas and it had blew in less than 300 miles.

If anybody has questions about this, send me a PM and I'll try and describe further. I was gobsmacked when I finally ended my own denial and lucky I didn't crack something and die.

Do yourself a favor and scan this 17 page thread on the subject.

Ground Spiders. There's a lot on this forum about ground spiders in the Gen 2 bikes in the '06 to '08 range in particular and even a Yamaha recall on some of the spiders. And others on the forum think others are at risk too. I don't have all the numbers they're referred to and locations (e.g. S2 or S4), but known Phil O'Connor was bitten by one in Oklahoma on Leg 2. Through the forum and quick text from #2 runner at the time, Erik Lipps, I was able to give Phil some things to look at when his towed bike made it to the dealer on a Saturay afternoon just before close. They got it running and Phil was back in the rally, but I'm betting Phil had these spiders at least identified if not super-duper fixed before the rally.

So, as 2019 comes up, PLEASE add these two items to your already lengthy list of things to consider before getting to the starting line. It could save you from a DNF.

I hope this post is ultimately helpful. Certainly, if anybody has more, clarifying, or corrected information--let me know. I was working these via text and limited direct contact in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately, having a bike that's been on the road for less than a year, I didn't have, nor was I concerned that I might suffer similar mechanical set backs.

I'm replying to this post Iggy because of something else odd. I replaced my OEM bulbs with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras about a week before the start. When I purchased them, the person behind the counter warned me that they don't last as long as other, less brighter, bulbs. I knew this as I have been using them for as long as I've been doing rallys and riding through the night. I flippantly commented that I only need for them to last for the next three weeks. lol Wouldn't you know it, they both burned out the week after the finish. Never had that happen before. No wheres on the forum have I read about anything odd about the 3rd gen bike having problems with these bulbs. Maybe they were a defect. I don't know, but considering what a royal PIA it is replace bulbs on this gen bike, I'll be sticking with the OEM product.

Certainly not on the same Oh Shit level as a shock/swing arm failure, but headlight bulbs failing would put a damper on the night riding.

Other than this well timed, post rally, problem, the bike worked like a champ. Love love loooove the CC.

PS. Really enjoyed reading what you had posted on Facebook. But now you got me to thinking about where I was on the ninth day. Hmmmm it'll come to me.

Mike Myren

IBA #SDK (Still Don't Know)

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you should mention lights, but my '07 ride wasn't a shock issue. Both my HID conversion lights blew over the course of the rally. Fortunately, I carried a spare bulb and swapped the left side (they're a bit easier in the Gen 1) and finished the rally with about an hour delay. It was 2 a.m. and had I not carried a spare I would have been out of action for at least 4 hours.

Carry a spare headlight bulb (unless you're running late model Gen 3 LED).