Project Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsy

667 - Neighbour of the Beast
Reaction score
Ok so I have been thinking recently of getting a project bike. I figure in for a penny, in for a pound so I am buying a 1971 CZ 125cc which is in bad shape. I figure what the hell for a few hundred bucks. I have wasted more money on worse things!

So anyone else have a CZ hidden away? I am sure I will be asking for lots of advice over the next many years as I try to get it running. :)

gypsy

Good plan. Everyone knows Czechoslovakia is renown for powerful machinery, only recently have the true collectibles been released with the opening of the Iron curtain. The large dealer network ensures easy and affordable parts availability. We who only take on the difficult tasks salute you!

I don't have one hidden away -- but, am pretty familiar with JAWA/CZ.... and like and appreciate them. I'm assuming it's a 'standard' style street or scrambler model and not a competition bike? If so, find a Haynes manual and you'll be on your way.

The whole Eastern Bloc philosophy (especially, as it pertains to motorcycles) is somewhat difficult for westerners to appreciate, imo. It's along the lines of: "How little can we get by with and how simple can we make it." If your expectations are in harmony with that sort of thinking?..... then the CZed will most likely satisfy. :huh:

If you get some specific questions -- I'll certainly try to answer them.

I lived in Czechoslovakia and then Slovakia (after they divided the country) for 5 years in the 1990s so I figure I can use some contacts there to source parts too if I need to. (Ha Ha...I said "if"!)

gypsy

I remember the CZ dirt bikes. The mounts for the brake and clutch levers were welded to the handle bars. I saw in one of the motorcycle rags about someone that made a flat tracker and a CZ engine. Good luck with your project