Project KZ1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So check this guy out -

if a 6 cylinder 1300 is good,

then what could be twice as good?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/djJTQh_RMVQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ARGH again!

Last edited by a moderator:
MY favorite picture at CBA.org.

The beast - dual overhead cam, trip-duece carbs, Accell ignition coil, and an oil burner - about a quart every 200 - 250 miles.

5.jpg

Not to mention a frame made up of undersized vacuum cleaner tubes. :p :p :p

Since I'm on a roll here -

The mighty Honda CBX - love the front broad shoulders look -

Hondacbx1050.jpg
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1980-Honda-Cbx1000-100506755 Damn you Carver, damn you to Hell! You purposely had to mention the CBX. I intentionally did not mention the CBX earlier, because I have had a blue-veined woodie for that sixer ever since I first rode one back in 1979. Now look at what you have made me do: There is one just down the road from you in Taft, CA for $4,500. Now you have to ride your ass over there and look at it for me! Ya Peckerhead!
If you are serious, I can be there Sunday...
Mi Hermano Donaldo, if this CBX is still for sale in December, then Si Paco: I would like for you to check it out for me. I have way too many irons in the fire going right now, visiting my Mom next week in Orange and then towing dj bill's power boat back to Phoenix for some custom work; then the December 3rd Tech Day in San Diego.

But if I can get this for a rock bottom price, I'm definitely thinking about it. I'll have to store it over at Donna or Greg's house: No room left in my garage! A CBX would kick Marbach's skinny ass!

If for some wild reason you are riding past Taft, give me a call at 480-440-4666 and I will call the Seller directly to get some more detailed background information. No use your riding from Creston to Taft if there is some glitch, but the Seller says he has owned it for 16 years and only 25K miles.
Roger that El Jefe Donaldo! This weekend was a rain/mud out, no way to escape the Hondarosa on two wheels. Dec 3rd is Joshua Tree NP and looking at some property, then back up to Ca City to view another. If that bike is as sweet as it looks, I just might scoop it up underneath yah! :)

Carver, You Asshole! I woke up at 4 today looking for CBX's for sale! Jackoff!
You're welcome, yah's got nothing but all day to sleep!

Man Oh Man, there is nothing like the sound of a six cylinder motorcycle!

You won't believe me, but that bike handled much better than it should have, from an engineering perspective. I used to keep up, kind of, with rcobb here on the board, when he was riding an FJ.

Looks good Don, a great starting point. Three deuces, huh? Reminds me of the old tri-power engines of the 60's... ;)

Did you ever get it to fire?

Keep up the good work!

--G

{ DCarver thoughts}

Looking at aluminum parts.... Hmmmm, hmmmmmm :unsure:

Better see if I can quickly establish a friendship with a plating shop owner... or at least the kid who runs the buffing wheel!

{/ DCarver thoughts}

Don ~ That is a very nice example of a worthy project! Many miles and smiles left in that ol gal if you can get the oil consumption problem solved with your recent find of a good mechanic willing to work with you.

Looks like PB Blaster and/or Liquid Wrench will be your friend in the near future as you work on those crusty old chromed bolts. I wonder if plated replacements are available at reasonable cost?

Good on ya, my man. Nice bikes like that deserve another chance!

Will be watching as this progresses... Fun Times! :clapping:

Don

2011-11-27

So freaking cool, I got her running today. At first, a little help via starting fluid was needed, and she would only run on 1/2 choke. I realize the idle circuit is not working but don't know what to do.. I think the air jets are covered per EPA 1979 mandate.. Will research to find out which caps to bust free, fuck the EPA.

Quickly decided to run a fairly heavy concentration of Sea Foam in the tank in the sky, and after only 10 or so minutes of running it was much better...

..pix and video to follow

Full report here

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Full report here

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Full report here

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Full report here

VIDEO!

Proof she runs!

I really have to research and find how the idle circuit works.. :eek: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The old girl sounds pretty darn good for as long as she was napping!

You mentioned the way excessive oil consumption in your posts earlier, so I was very surprised at the total lack of smoke while running in your video... I was thinking the mosquito abatement authority would want to sign you up as an aux. fogger burning a Qt every 300 so so miles.

With the success you've had so far with the SeaFoam, I think I'd be tempted to run it some more as you are doing there, possible blipping the throttle rather than steady state as it is now. I think that would vary the vacuum in the throats and carbs, encouraging some of the SF to work it's way down into the area of the idle circuit where the blockage is.

This project will be fun to follow! Thanks for sharing...

Don