Project KZ1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2014-11-30 Stainless Side Cover Ship Notice

Permalink Submitted by dcarver on Sun, 11/30/2014 - 12:57.

I went ahead and ordered the side covers from Lauri in Finland..

%24_57.JPG

..and here's the tracking notice.

These arrived today from Finland. They are exceptionally beautiful. Hand craftsmanship at it's finest. Polished SS. :wub:

To be sent to Ray next weekend for install.

Oh God more crap. Somebody make it stop PLEASE.
smile.png

Still waiting on one unobtainium part to fix an oil leak so it's still on the lift where it's easy to get at.

Putting the fairing back on today for the final time I hope.

smile.png
nono.gif
bleh.gif
lol.gif

Hey Ray, before you put the fairing back on... I wonder if you can use any of that Gen 1 heat shielding experience to line the belly of the gas tank with some kind of insulation blanket or? The tank gets hot enough to boil gas, and now would be time, while it's 25F in La Pine, to fix it?
winksmiley02.gif

smile.png
nono.gif
bleh.gif
lol.gif

Hey Ray, before you put the fairing back on... I wonder if you can use any of that Gen 1 heat shielding experience to line the belly of the gas tank with some kind of insulation blanket or? The tank gets hot enough to boil gas, and now would be time, while it's 25F in La Pine, to fix it?
winksmiley02.gif
The underside of the tank is already covered with insulation. I can remove it and try something else. My Gen1 has nothing on the bottom of the tank and never has from day one.

Getting the tank off can be done with or without the fairing in place.

<snip)> ...fix it?
winksmiley02.gif
Why? You'll just break it.......................again!
tongue.png
You know FJRay if you were to shoot dcarver between the eyes with your .44, a Jury of your Peers here on our FJR Forum would find you Innocent of Homicide! JSNS!
No we would argue about who got the KZ1300.
I don't care who gets it as long as I DON'T
rolleyes.gif

smile.png
nono.gif
bleh.gif
lol.gif

winksmiley02.gif
The underside of the tank is already covered with insulation. I can remove it and try something else. My Gen1 has nothing on the bottom of the tank and never has from day one.

Getting the tank off can be done with or without the fairing in place.

<snip)> ...fix it?
winksmiley02.gif
Why? You'll just break it.......................again!
tongue.png
You know FJRay if you were to shoot dcarver between the eyes with your .44, a Jury of your Peers here on our FJR Forum would find you Innocent of Homicide! JSNS!
No we would argue about who got the KZ1300.
I don't care who gets it as long as I DON'T
rolleyes.gif
Let's do the math, Ray.....

The bike is 35 years old....

You've had it 2 years.....

2 / 35 = 5.7%, so let's round it up...you've had it 6% of it's life.

Under hillbilly law, the bike is yours! :D

HAH! Yer stuck in a snow drift and can't get out until Spring, Ray!

OBTW, I have no inkling to pull carbs and put these in. But if the stockers ever sink, I'm ready.. :whistle:

Looks like they might make a reasonable target for the .223 at a couple hundred yards.:) :) :) :)

Looks like they might make a reasonable target for the .223 at a couple hundred yards.:) :) :) :)
Sounds like that Kawi is taking up too much garage space. Don needs to fetch it anyways to get it registered so just tell Don to come and get it or your going to store the bike in a convenient snowbank.

Speaking of snowbanks there is still no snow here in the tropics of Canada. It is even pretty shitty snowmobiling up in that hellhole Sudbury where Bungie hangs his hat.

Speaking of snowbanks there is still no snow here in the tropics of Canada. It is even pretty shitty snowmobiling up in that hellhole Sudbury where Bungie hangs his hat.
True, the holidays were awesome. Thought we were going to have a green Christmas. Then it snowed on Christmas Eve. Yesterday, temps went into the shitter again.

Jim and I were toying with the idea of doing a day blast down to the bike show this weekend. But the long ranger has it snowing. Feck that. Looks like I'll continue hibernating while Line keeps an eye out for polar bears.

Damn....I just saw this (I am slow, I know). Great project. I ran against one of theose a teacher had when I was in College. I had a 1980 xs11....I found out after I ran him he had a turbo. But man, did it sound sweet when he passed me. Best of luck with her!

Finally got the oil level window so I could put oil back in it. Ran it some on the stand and when a dry day or two shows up I will get a trip pass from DMV and trailer it past the ice on my road for a test romp. If it lives then I will send it home.

I wonder how much postage is to the Hondarosa.

Finally got the oil level window so I could put oil back in it. Ran it some on the stand and when a dry day or two shows up I will get a trip pass from DMV and trailer it past the ice on my road for a test romp. If it lives then I will send it home.
I wonder how much postage is to the Hondarosa.
Having given myself a hernia getting my buddies 6 banger kwacker off the sidestand, I'd guess it'd be close to 1.2M.

Update!!! The KZ is done and going home on the 21st of this month. If you want to see it be at the Applebee's restaurant at 9105 E Stockton Blvd. Elk Grove Ca. 12:30 pm.
smile.png
I'm sure some pictures will show up.