Project KZ1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I've been advised to not take this project on...

But I ain't so good at taking advice, so here I go...

I appear to have found a good tech who loves working on this motor - it has a bunch of chains *in the motor* but a shaft final drive - go figure.

Here's a couple of pix in stock form..

Kz13001.jpg

Kz13002.jpg

Originally built to compete against the 'sporty' and mighty Honda CBX / Benelli 6, Kawasaki decided to target the 'Sport-Touring' market and offered the KZ in stock street trim with full touring accessories like a Califia fairing and full size Krauser Star saddlebags.

I bought mine brand new in 1979 with a bank loan! What a bunch of idots them bankers are, giving a loan to a guy like me (then or now!) but especially back then. I remember the first ride, the power, and the sound.

If you've not heard the sound of a KZ1300, it is, IMHO, a most unique motorcycling pitch. Down low, it's throaty like a hot-rodded 350 V8 Chevy motor, but on top it snarls like an inline Japanese 4. But with closer pitch, as the firing cycles are more often, so dare I say like a Ferrari or other exotic car?

Anyway, just thought I'd share JIC anyone here on the board might be interested. I'll post pix soon of my starting point and the progression.

BTW, I have over 120k miles on this bike, all at burning a quart of oil every 250-300 miles. But that's another story.. :huh: ;)

..and yes, I'm am an ID-10-T to start this project.

Looks like a lot of fun Don. Maybe I missed it, but are the above pics of THE project bike or a representation of the finished product?

Good luck!

--G

Looks like a fun project Don. A litle complex but not all that bad.

I'm doing a 441 BSA Victor for the second time. I did this same bike in 79 and the owner left it in a shed close to the beach and nature trashed it :angry2: . It's going to be spendy.

Looks like a lot of fun Don. Maybe I missed it, but are the above pics of THE project bike or a representation of the finished product?

Good luck!

--G
--G, the pix posted are of the original, naked KZ1300, 1979 'Z' model sold outside the states. I *think* they are identical sans the 'Air Induction System) aka like on our FJR's. I bought mine with a factory fairing (uglier than than the Califia fairing, but can hold an 18 pack with ice) and Krauser bags. BTW, if you carry an 18-pack on ice, no one, I mean NO ONE, leaves you behind, even if they can....

Looks like a fun project Don. A litle complex but not all that bad.

I'm doing a 441 BSA Victor for the second time. I did this same bike in 79 and the owner left it in a shed close to the beach and nature trashed it :angry2: . It's going to be spendy.
I agree. By today's standards, the bike pretty simple, electronics wise. No computer, FI, etc. It does have a ton of spacers and shims though - but these can be machined, if necessary.

The most difficult issue at this time is pistons - and Wiseco can make new pistons after a 'pattern piston' for a fairly reasonable price, IIRC, 140 USD, including rings, wrist pins.

...and we're off to the rodeo.

Looks like a fine project, I already like the lines of the tank, it would look nice with low cafe bars :)

Back in the day, I came very close to a ZG 1300, the "Gold Wing" from Kwak. I keep wondering "What if" when I get all sleepy-eyed and think about things that mighta been . . . . . I just thought that straight-6 with all them pipes across the front was super-kewl.

Good luck with this thing, and just remember when you got to screw things back together, the pumpkin and rear brake are on the wrong sides! I'd hate to see ya pop the clutch that first time and take off bass-ackwards!!! :p

OTOH, if you put a 300 rear tire on it, then you'd desrve a painful flaming end!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic Project Don, I wish you all of the best on your six restoration. It was the Benelli Sei and Kawasaki KZ1300 that had me standing in line for my new 2012 BMW K1600GT, nothing on Earth sounds better than a six cylincer motorcycle.

FJRay, please keep us informed on your BSA Victor 441 restoration project. I owned my 1967 Victor B44 for one year before joining the Army, but it was a great bike!

JBakker_B44_001.jpg

Sounds like a fun project.

My KZ project is scattered all over the barn just waiting on me.

Maybe you'll be my motivation to put it back together. Keep posting the progress! :)

Doood!!! I had two of it's little brothers. '77 400 and '79 750. Bought 'em both new but a year old. The '77 was had for 995.00 and taxes $45 bucks a month and $200 a year for insurance. The 750 was $1695.00

I remember when that thing came out It was a monster! Nobody needed that kind of horsepower.

Best of luck man.

Maybe you'll be my motivation to put it back together. Keep posting the progress! :)
Russ, I have visiting "The Goober Barn" on my personal Bucket List, I want to see the treasures that you have squirrelled away; especially the Spanish Iron!

Russ, I have visiting "The Goober Barn" on my personal Bucket List, I want to see the treasures that you have squirrelled away; especially the Spanish Iron!
Stop by anytime. You're always welcome!

Fantastic Project Don, I wish you all of the best on your six restoration. It was the Benelli Sei and Kawasaki KZ1300 that had me standing in line for my new 2012 BMW K1600GT, nothing on Earth sounds better than a six cylincer motorcycle.

FJRay, please keep us informed on your BSA Victor 441 restoration project. I owned my 1967 Victor B44 for one year before joining the Army, but it was a great bike!

JBakker_B44_001.jpg

How in the HELL would you have ever fit on that thing?

visual+pun_4af04e6f3c5a6.jpg

Best of luck Don, that's a lot of pistons to have re-cast = mucho $$$

Here's a re-visit to the

by Richard Thompson
and the words;

Oh says Red Molly to James "That's a fine motorbike.

A girl could feel special on any such like"

Says James to Red Molly "My hat's off to you

It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952.

And I've seen you at the corners and cafes it seems

Red hair and black leather, my favourite colour scheme"

And he pulled her on behind and down to Boxhill they did ride

Oh says James to Red Molly "Here's a ring for your right hand

But I'll tell you in earnest I'm a dangerous man.

For I've fought with the law since I was seventeen,

I robbed many a man to get my Vincent machine.

Now I'm 21 years, I might make 22

And I don't mind dying, but for the love of you.

And if fate should break my stride

Then I'll give you my Vincent to ride"

"Come down, come down, Red Molly" called Sergeant McRae

"For they've taken young James Adie for armed robbery.

Shotgun blast hit his chest, left nothing inside.

Oh come down, Red Molly to his dying bedside"

When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left

He was running out of road, he was running out of breath

But he smiled to see her cry

He said "I'll give you my Vincent to ride"

Says James "In my opinion, there's nothing in this world

Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl.

Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves won't do,

Ah, they don't have a soul like a Vincent 52"

Oh he reached for her hand and he slipped her the keys

Said "I've got no further use for these.

I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,

Swooping down from heaven to carry me home"

And he gave her one last kiss and died

And he gave her his Vincent to ride.

:D

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm hoping to pull her outta the shop to visually inspect my starting point. She's been covered by her blankies for years now, I haven't even peeked. I wish I had pix from when she was last on the road, but ex-wife #1 took all the pix then threw them away. :fuck: :angry2: I don't miss her, but I do miss the pix of mighty KZ :lol:

There alot of things that need immediate attention - primarily the key is broken in the gas tank cap...

I prefer bars the on picture #2 better the the 1st, but like the paint job on the 1st. I could do without the fat ass tire.
ahchiu - how about this? More your style? Dang, now I'm thinking about cafeing her..

kz1300cafe.jpg

JBakker_B44_001.jpg

How in the HELL would you have ever fit on that thing?

visual+pun_4af04e6f3c5a6.jpg
Hey Now, Once Upon a Time: I had a body like a Greek God, now I have a body like a GOD DAMN GREEK!

Since I'm on a roll here -

The mighty Honda CBX - love the front broad shoulders look -

Hondacbx1050.jpg

The little 750 Benelli -

benelli_750_sei.jpg

But only 1 bike is burly enough to tow a freakin BOAT - the KZ1300!

1300ron.jpg