Proof that GenII is faster than GenI

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
Jason (FlyingJ) put up a good fight at the drag strip with his 2003 FJR, but my 2008 FJR secured a victory for team GenII!

Here I am giving Jason all the wrong advice to ensure my victory:

talking2.jpg

And I think this is when I was getting ready to spit in his eyes for good measure:

talking1.jpg

Barry (Bustanut) showed up to watch the battle, but he was too scared to race:

barry_observing.jpg

This is what it looked like from Barry's vantage point:

racing.jpg

Jason's best time (#4 is me; #5 is Jason):

time_slip_2010_10_09_jason_best.jpg

My best, which is a personal record (#4 is me; #5 is Jason):

time_slip_2010_10_09_jeff_best.jpg

And proof that Jason really did put up a good fight and won a few races (#4 is me; #5 is Jason):

time_slip_2010_10_09_jason_wins.jpg

I also attached my GoPro HD camera to multiple places on my bike and pieced together this video evidence from various clips. Full-screen it to enjoy it in all its HD majesty:

The day started off pretty crowded, so our runs were few and far between. Jason and I were both struggling to launch well, and the infrequent runs weren't conducive to improvement. It was Jason's first time at a drag strip, and I hadn't been there in almost exactly a year. We both needed some good practice if we were to dish out our best to each other. The crowd thinned quite a bit for the last hour and we got 7 runs in during that time, including a few back-to-back runs at the end with nearly no wait. That's when things got interesting.

Jason significantly improved on both his launch and reaction time, while I focused only on my launch and had forgotten to work on my reaction time. The result was that Jason got a jump on me at the start, but my far superior GenII FJR would reel him him near the finish line. There were some VERY close races. In the closest race (Jason's best run; see the time slip above), Jason was ahead of me by 0.061s and 9 feet half-way down the track. I ended up beating him by only 0.014s and 2.5 feet! It's hard to explain the feeling you get when crossing the finish line right next to someone, both of you looking at the other as you cross the line, and not knowing who won because it was so close.

In addition to getting a new personal best 1/4 mile time, I also have a new personal best 0-100mph time of 6.3s according to my data logger. I matched my best 0-60mph of 2.88s.

So who will challenge me next?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to your video, all this really proves is that it takes at least a few mods on the GenII to beat a Gen I :)

According to your video, all this really proves is that it takes at least a few mods on the GenII to beat a Gen I :)
... and then only JUST. Throw in a guys first time at the track.. Gen 1 wins!

Your a big man to post up your defeat like that Pickles!

Yeah; I know :)

But it is nice to know that basic mods will more than overcome the extra weight and taller gearing disadvantages of the GenII. GenI is 30 lbs lighter than GenII, and the 2003 is another 30 lbs lighter. Makes me wonder how fast a 2003 with similar mods would be.

Great read and love the video.

Dave

PS. Did you ever think about running his 03 to see if you could be faster then him on it?

... and then only JUST. Throw in a guys first time at the track.. Gen 1 wins!

Your a big man to post up your defeat like that Pickles!
Pickles gave the Gen 1 a head start every time and felt so sorry for the Gen 1 he let the Gen 1 win a heat jsut so there wouldn't be too much pouting. Yea for the Gen 11's team. I'm thinking a paddle shifter would give the Gen 1 an even bigger spanking.

... and then only JUST.
"JUST" 0.249 seconds (the difference between our best times, not counting reaction time) is actually quite significant in the 1/4 mile. That comes out to about a 53 foot lead. Differences in 1/4 mile results are deceivingly more significant than they appear. For example, Jason's best run was 11.073s @ 124.53s. On my best run, I reached 125mph in just 9.9s, and at 11.073s I was up to 130mph (I was still accelerating past the finish).

As for the beginner's handicap, I don't think there was any when comparing our best runs. The 60ft time is an indicator of how well you launch, which is the toughest part of drag racing. Comparing our best runs, the 60ft time was 1.824s vs 1.840s, which indicates that we launched almost exactly the same.

I know what the spec sheets say but I highly doubt there's 60# difference.
Did some investigation...

MCN reports the wet weight of the 2003 at 637 lbs: https://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/Model_Evaluation03033.pdf

Yamaha reports the wet weight of the 2010 at 641 lbs: https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/180/1/specs.aspx

(the 2011 is listed at 644 lbs, BTW)

Yamaha does not include "accessories" in the weight, such as side cases. MCN likely included the side cases, because they come with the bike. I just weighed my empty side cases at 22 lbs. That brings the 2003 down to 615 lbs without bags, or the 2010 up to 663 lbs with bags, which comes out to a difference of only 26 lbs between 2003 and 2010.

What? No Kudos to the video guy? Ya think it was easy standing around while those two kids burned hydrocarbons?

Ladys.. If ya weren't there, ya shouldn't complain. It was fun first of all and pretty well even towards the end.

Jason's lack of track time was a non issue by 4 O'clock yesterday.. His reaction times were better than Jeffs at that point.. The genII wins the first official round..

:jester:

Does Jason need drag Racing lessons? Obviously he's shifting technique, etc, was off. You probably also rigged his rear brake to drag. There is no way a GenII will beat a smokin' fast GenI, not even your little Spielberg effects can convince us.

Too early in the morning, I posted in Bob Fords thread before I realized he had put your video in it. <_< You guys had perfect weather saturday. I thought about coming up but ended up spending the day in the garage listening to the U of M vs State game and giving my truck one last good cleaning/wax before the weather turns.

Too early in the morning, I posted in Bob Fords thread before I realized he had put your video in it. <_< You guys had perfect weather saturday. I thought about coming up but ended up spending the day in the garage listening to the U of M vs State game and giving my truck one last good cleaning/wax before the weather turns.
Keep the 29th open if ya can. We're heading back down that way ;)

Keep the 29th open if ya can. We're heading back down that way ;)

And by "29th", he means "30th"; it's a Saturday. Or maybe he really did mean to say "29th" to throw you off...