Proper Tire Pressure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamasue

Reaction score
Wondering what you weathered riders use for tire pressure. Should I go by the book (39 ft 42 rear) on all tires, or do you know certain pressures that accomodate economy and safety? Any recomendations with experience?

Wondering what you weathered riders use for tire pressure. Should I go by the book (39 ft 42 rear) on all tires, or do you know certain pressures that accomodate economy and safety? Any recomendations with experience?

You'll get various responses to this question, depending on what tire they are using, how much load they carry, etc. The book is pretty close, but lots of riders here are running a little higher in the front. I run 40 front, 42 rear on my Michelin PR2's, riding solo.

Dunlop Roadsmarts - Cold Tire Pressure - Front 39, Rear 41. Excellent grip dry or wet. :rolleyes:

After reading Warchild's comment, I am now running 42psi front & rear on my PRII's. I cannot help but think the guys that run the IBR have to know the best way to get the utmost mileage out of a set of tires. I have noticed the handling is even better at 42psi also. But I also run the "B" tire in rear and I probably weight as much as many riders and passengers combined.

You'll get various responses to this question, depending on what tire they are using, how much load they carry, etc. The book is pretty close, but lots of riders here are running a little higher in the front. I run 40 front, 42 rear on my Michelin PR2's, riding solo.
I'm pretty much the same. If I'm between 40 and 42, inclusive, on both front and rear, I'm happy.

The setting is absolute in the sense that once you get rolling, they climb due to friction and sidewall flex.

I believe that the manufacturer knows best what to set it to and with the Gen-II, the pressures were changed to 39/42 - and that's what I run.

I cranked it up to 42/42 and over the week-end had to recover from a near washout on a relatively sharp curve - was an interesting couple of hundred milliseconds, I must say.

I am back to 39/42.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started at 38, then 40, then 42 and for a couple thousand miles 44. I went back to 42 psi when I felt the front at 44 was not gripping like before. Back at 42 the front seems just like 40 to me. My front tires last longer when kept over 40 psi, I've gotten the most wear at 42 psi with a PR2. Never played with the rear, it wears fine and has always been kept at 42. I've found you can slide that front less at 39 of course but, the cupping sucks. At 42 I can run over brisk speeds fully loaded with gear so its good enough in the grip area for me.

So its 42/42 with the longer lasting PR2's all the time, all roads at brisk speeds. Its nice to find a tire that you don't have to change every 4,500 miles.

I'm pretty much the same. If I'm between 40 and 42, inclusive, on both front and rear, I'm happy.

+1

40 and 42 ish but I usually ride two up . Anything less on the front and it feels like it wants to fall into corners and feels very mushy . I was bragging to a mate that since I set up the suspension as per the forums average ( as opposed to factory mush) I hadnt touched the pegs down and have no chicken strips left on the rear tyre. On the way home from his place I had the need to touch down around a decreasing radius left hander at well above the posted speed. OOPs when I get home in the day light I will see how far over the edge we were.

Never had the PR2 slide out yet apart from on white lines.

I tried various options and ended up setting on about 41 F and 43R for every day. If I have long motorway (highway) to do with load then I'll and one more. I find any more than that and it feels bouncy and twitchy.

PRII

I believe that the manufacturer knows best what to set it to and with the Gen-II, the pressures were changed to 39/42 - and that's what I run.
i would tend to agree with that... if i was running factory tires. since i don't i run based on what has been working to make for even tire wear on PRs and PR2s. for me that's 40 f/42 r.

+1
Me, too. When loaded for a trip I will make sure the rear is @ 42.

I shoot for 40 front & 42 rear. I've noticed my Feejer tires tend to lose pressure (both) much faster than my car which never seems to change BTW. I have to "top 'em" at least 2 times a month. The delta isn't huge, a few psi, but it's consistent & independent of tire on the bike. I check the pressure in the garage cold in a consistent fashion too. This has been going on since I brought the machine home March of '09 and I'm on my third set of tires now.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator: