Proud new owner! Now need the right gear???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a sweet 04 and want to make improve my ability to walk away from a get-off.

Mostly I'm wondering what everyone thinks about spine protectors and which one's the best.

The best protection is not to crash.
I guess that advice didn't work for the more than three thousand, nine hundred motorcycle riders who died in 2004.

On the average, two thousand riders die each year and fifty THOUsand are injuried each year. You're a lucky person that you've never crashed.

I do everything I can to avoid a crash but it's not always in my control, so I'll armor up for that unforeseen moment. ;)

A denim jacket is better than a tee shirt. A Joe rocket jacket is better than a denim jacket. A full race suit is better still.

I've been looking at all this stuff recently and come to the conclusion it is just like life insurance. (Actually it is life insurance.) But the point being, you get what you can afford. I bought a Joe Rocket jacket with a foam pad up the spine. I'm sure it's better than nothing. But the ones with the hard plastic inserts are probably better still. Depends on what you can afford.

After my last accident I've been thinking about a spine protector bt Bohn, or their shirt with all the armor sewn on it already.

Glenn

The best protection is not to crash.
This really isn't bad advice. Have you read, watched or listened to any of the many books and videos about defensive riding, technique, and safety? Then get amored a Joe Rocket jacket and Kevlar gloves.

You're on the right track thinking about upgrading gear. Its an ongoing process. Visit a few moto stores and try stuff on. It might look good on the internet, but you really need to try it first. There are some great products out there, very versatile--Cortech, First Gear, Olympia. Plenty more expensive options.

I just got a Joe Rocket Reactor jacket at a huge discount, which is an air jacket with perforated leather at key places. It has a 2-layer spine protector, but lacking enough front protection, IMO. I may sew in a couple of pad pockets there just for grins.

I also have a First Gear Air Kilimanjaro jacket and over-pants. Been riding in the cold for commutes and they are great. Overall protection is minimal: soft pads in fabric, probably not enough, but extremely versatile. You can upgrade to harder armour, slip into pad pockets.

As S76 mentioned above, protection comes in layers and quality of material. When you get down to it, you hope what you are wearing is thick enough and/or strong enough. Then the next big thing, is it comfortable enough to actually use.

Good choice on the '04. Fastest color, chicks dig it. :agent:

Last edited by a moderator:
When you get down to it, you hope what you are wearing is thick enough and/or strong enough.  Then the next big thing, is it comfortable enough to actually use.
Almost got it right, If it isn't comfortable you won't wear it. The problem is you won't know if it is comfortable until you ride with it.

I have spent about $2K on this problem because I'm new to touring.

Forget about sales, forget about ebay and the internet. Find a friend who is your exact same size and borrow their equipment for a day long ride OR find out what the Iron Butt guys wear and buy what fits when you sit down and streach your arms and say Vroom Vroom for as long as the sales guy will let you (or until you feel ghey).

Thanks all!

Yes Yambone, I agree with what you said. Like gr8eyes, I have looked at pressure suits too. I like the idea of a chest protector because it keeps all the ribs happy and in one place.

My one weakness is the pants. I'm not crazy about wearing leathers and roasting my thighs on the cooker we lovingly call the FJR1300, so I'm considering Hood jeans and having them put armor inserts in them. The last time I rode to Santa Barbara with my friend, he was all in leathers. He didn't bring a change of clothes, not that he had anywhere to stow his leathers on his R6... so there he is clomping along in riding boots, and armored blue leathers in a sunny beach town looking like a dominatrix Smurf. hahaha

But everyone comes to a place where they trade off protection for comfort and rely on their riding skills to keep them up right.

In my dreams I'd like to be as visible as a float from the Disney Electrical Light Parade, but still look cool, be as armored as an Abrams tank, and cagers had zappers wired to them so when the car sensors saw the driver wasn't paying attention LOTS of volts ... well you can imagine the rest.

Well, glad to be among fellow FJR-ers.

The last time I rode to Santa Barbara with my friend, he was all in leathers. He didn't bring a change of clothes, not that he had anywhere to stow his leathers on his R6... so there he is clomping along in riding boots, and armored blue leathers in a sunny beach town looking like a dominatrix Smurf. hahaha
Shame on u for not offering to pack some street clothes for your R6 buddy on your touring bike :angry:

Mostly I'm wondering what everyone thinks about spine protectors and which one's the best.
You won't go wrong with any armor offered by Knox or TPro. Just remember when considering armor, only a few can actually offer any real impact absorbing protection with any 3rd party testing data to back it up.

www.belstaffusa.com/knox-armor

www.tprobodyarmour.co.uk

This is the best. One set of gear for all weather- hot to cold. armor front and back. washable, breathable, slidable, track approved.

kevlar clicky

The last time I rode to Santa Barbara with my friend, he was all in leathers. He didn't bring a change of clothes, not that he had anywhere to stow his leathers on his R6... so there he is clomping along in riding boots, and armored blue leathers in a sunny beach town looking like a dominatrix Smurf. hahaha
Shame on u for not offering to pack some street clothes for your R6 buddy on your touring bike :angry:
hehe I don't remember seeing U-Haul anywhere on my bike. I told him to get a sport-touring bike and he went with his little R6. He made his bed and he has to sleep in it.

Which reminds me, on a side note, if you've ever owned a pick up truck, suddenly everyone is asking you to help them move something. But now it's it's a bike instead of a truck. "Hey, don't you have all those great bags on your bike?" "You mean the ones you tease me about all the time, calling it my Winger-wanna-be?" "Yeah, I was just kidding. So anyways how about you pack this on your bike, and this, and this.... " :lol:

This is the best. One set of gear for all weather- hot to cold. armor front and back. washable, breathable, slidable, track approved.kevlar clicky
Whether it's the best or not is debatable, but you should read the "Save your hide" info (link at top right of page) here prior to making a decision. BTW, I find my Air Mesh Kevlar suit to be just the thing for year 'round comfort and protection. And with proper layering, I am comfortable down into the 30's so far without heated garments. Don't plan to be testing its other qualities, but they're also why I laid out a grip for two suits. Still cheaper than a trip to the regional burn unit for skin grafts.

Got a sweet 04 and want to make improve my ability to walk away from a get-off.
The second best thing about having a bike is buying all the cool gear. You can buy hot weather gear, cold weather gear, in-between weather gear, cool looking gear (not much protection) dorky looking gear (better protection).

It goes without saying that not crashing is the best thing to do, but that's not a realistic plan if you're going to share your bit of road with others.

Jill

(Counting the days to picking up custom leather riding suit).

Even if cost were not a concern you have to buy protective gear that you will actually wear every time you go for a ride. A heavy leather track suit is great protection but it sure does get hot in the summer sun. Mesh jackets are cooler to wear but most don't provide much protection against abrasion. A very stiff spine protector is going to feel like a steel girder against your back after a few hours of touring. Also, you need gear that is relatively easy for you to get in and out of. If it takes five minutes to gear up for a short ride to the post office you're probably not going to bother with the gear for short rides.

Try the gear on and wear it for a while in the shop, sit on a bike or two, and think about how any minor discomfort may feel after several hours in the saddle.

nothing is as good as leather, make like a cow and HIDE, cowhide that is, or if you prefer, kangaroo , goat, neighbors little mutt :assasin:

LivinAdventure,

First of all, you don't have where you live on your profile, though I did see you went to Santa Barbara, so I'm guessing Southern Kalifornia?

I figure anyone can get a well armored winter suit (Aerostich Roadcrafter is a popular, if expensive, choice....but I would always rather pay for gear than hospital bills, myself)...anyway...

...being from warm weather in Tallahassee, FL, I've just completed a lot of research on warm weather armor that won't roast you (as I understand the Aerostich does here in the summertime).. here's what I've learned:

Motoport

I've seen two votes on this thread for Motoport (now Cycleport, though everyone still seems to call them Motoport). From everything I've heard, their Kevlar mesh jacket and pants are very comfortable in extremely warm weather, but with the optional Gore-Tex liner, it allows you to ride into quite a bit cooler weather in comfort. Probably the most complete review of the Motoport Kevelar outfit is a comparison with Aerostich over on WebBikeWorld

Motoport also makes Kevlar Street Jeans, which would keep you from looking too strange if you got tired of changing clothes...

I got a used Motoport cordura Canyon II jacket and Voyager Ax Pant set on eBay for $200, including shipping. They fit fine and there is a lot of armor (even in the chest) that feels substantial and comfortable, at the same time. I got this simply because I just got a bike (2004 ABS), wouldn't ride without armor and so didn't want to wait for a suit to be made. Ultimately, I figure I'll get the Motoport Kevlar for warm weather and an Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece for when it cools off a little.

Aerostich

The Aerostitch one piece RoadCrafter is easy to get in and out of, but it does have a reputation for wet crotch if it rains....of course, according to popular music of the era of anyone who can afford all of this, it never rains where you ride, anyway...

If you haven't heard of Aerostich, you haven't been shopping for serious motorcycle protective gear.

Bohn

Finally, one other option that someone alluded to is underclothing with sewn in armor. Bohn Body Armor makes a wide variety of armor that you can wear under street clothes (although to fit all that armor under your clothes, I reckon you'd have to buy them on the baggy side)....I haven't gotten anything from them, but if you're concerned about vanity and being well armored, they might be worth checking out...

Anyway, good luck, and I agree with you about pickup trucks and the touring bags....

Hi ho, Silver....awayyyy!!!