Proud new owner of a 2007!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff D

Reaction score
I finally sold my sportbike and truck and bought a brand new 2007 last Friday!

I have some questions on the bike so far and rather than post multiple questions I thought I would fire away!!

1. I am looking for some frame sliders. Saw some posts related to this. I am looking for some good quality sliders that do not require any fairing cutting etc...

2. In regards to the stock Metzler tires. How agressively can you ride these? If I still want to take the bike and carve some canyon roads do you suggest I upgrade the tires first?

3. When I bought the bike the dealer suggested against going with the Yamaha YES extended service. Instead they sold me a 48 month contract through RPM one. In order to keep my warranty valid must I get all the suggested services done by the dealer as suggested or am I cool just getting the 600 mile service then doing all the standard work such as oil changes, pluges etc myself.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff;

Welcome from SoCal.

Glad you are now part of the forum, you'll like this virtual place.

Where are you from?

I'm a used purchaser of a used 2005, so I'll let the others reply to your questions.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from Sacramento. I am really looking forward to hooking up with some fellow riders around the Sacramento area for some rides up north along the coast. I just updated my profile. Thanks for the response!

Jeff

I have some questions on the bike so far and rather than post multiple questions I thought I would fire away!!

1. I am looking for some frame sliders. Saw some posts related to this. I am looking for some good quality sliders that do not require any fairing cutting etc...

2. In regards to the stock Metzler tires. How agressively can you ride these? If I still want to take the bike and carve some canyon roads do you suggest I upgrade the tires first?

3. When I bought the bike the dealer suggested against going with the Yamaha YES extended service. Instead they sold me a 48 month contract through RPM one. In order to keep my warranty valid must I get all the suggested services done by the dealer as suggested or am I cool just getting the 600 mile service then doing all the standard work such as oil changes, pluges etc myself.

Thanks,

Jeff
1. Frame sliders from Skyway are nice

2. The stock tires are fine - I run Pirelli Diablo Stradas ('E" spec on the rear). Similar performance.

3.You probably paid more than $369 - too bad, You probably also paid sales tax. You should have bought the YES. You can do all the work yourself INCLUDING the 600 mile.

You might find enlightening reading through the 'bin o facts': https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=4295

Welcome to the marque.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,

Can't help you with the GenII questions, but a search will show that everyone here has at least 3 opinions on every topic.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks,

Jeff
1. Frame sliders from Skyway are nice

2. The stock tires are fine - I run Pirelli Diablo Stradas ('E" spec on the rear). Similar performance.

3.You probably paid more than $369 - too bad, You probably also paid sales tax. You should have bought the YES. You can do all the work yourself INCLUDING the 600 mile.

You might find enlightening reading through the 'bin o facts': https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=4295

Welcome to the marque.
Gunny!

1) The Skyway Frame Sliders are a well made product that simply bolt on without cutting anything. I have them on my bike and love them.

2) Stock tires are fine on dry pavement but I feel they are not the greatest in wet conditions.

3) I have done all my own service work, including the first service, for all my bikes and have never had a problem in regards to the warranty. I recommend you document service date and mileage and save all parts receipts, etc.

Jeff,

Welcome to the club!! I suspect your best deal on the extended warranty would of been the Yamaha YES from D&H Yamaha in AL. They sell it for $389 no tax to out of state buyers. That warranty is good at Yamaha dealers just like the OEM, everywhere! You will love the 07. Check my link below in my signature line to see some of my farkles.

WW

Hey Jeff

Welcome from another new 07 owner. I just got mine also, and love it! This forum is extremely helpfull, and the guys here know every nut and bolt of your new baby. Skyway sliders seem to be prominent here, but I picked up mine for half the price and they are delrin covered aluminum, come with instructions, in two styles and require no modification to your bike. I got this info from this forum ... here is the link https://www.oesaccessories.com/06-08FJR1300.html ... check it out.

- Greg

It seems as though all of your questions can be easily answered by many who are much more knowledgeable than me on this forum, so I will leave that to them. To you however, I will say Welcome! I too own a 07 and live in the Sacramento Area. Be sure to see the California section of this forum so that you can join us on a few of the rides like April 6. I look forward to them greatly myself. Hope to see you soon and take care!

It seems as though all of your questions can be easily answered by many who are much more knowledgeable than me on this forum, so I will leave that to them. To you however, I will say Welcome! I too own a 07 and live in the Sacramento Area. Be sure to see the California section of this forum so that you can join us on a few of the rides like April 6. I look forward to them greatly myself. Hope to see you soon and take care!
Tell me how to get to the California Section of the site!... My wife and I are planning a ride the following weekend of the 11th. Anyone want to join us to Lake Tahoe?

Tell me how to get to the California Section of the site!... My wife and I are planning a ride the following weekend of the 11th. Anyone want to join us to Lake Tahoe?

Go to the home page. Scroll down till you get to Regional Ride Planning & Information Exchange (Including Sightings) Then click California.

or click this.... https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showforum=71