proud new owner of an FJR :)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueF1

Reaction score
Warning! TLDR skip to last paragraph where I ask my questions if you dont feel like reading through my long experience story. I appreciate any help and advice. Thank you all.

Hi all, I just bought a 2006 FJR. I was on the fence about it for a few reasons. One being the weight, two being that Im shorter 5'6" and have a 29" inseam, three being that its not an FZ1. I posted my concerns on here and read through a lot of different threads and replies. Let me tell my experience so far :)

I got on the bike hesitently, with a little fear, it wasnt lowered at all only the seat was on the low setting. I felt comfortable! Just like anyother bike Ive been on really. I tippie toe a bit but I can easily slide to flat foot on one side and feel balanced tippie toeing anyhow. It was a little tight turning. But I got use to it after a few hundred miles. I rode in the rain for about 30 minutes which wasnt as bad with the windscreen compared to my old dual sport. I took it through a local canyon and tried to turn around a very narrow two lane road after seeing something cool and ended up dropping it. The mirror broke but I have enough still left that I can see fine. Nothing got scratched but the mirror and hand gaurd. My sliders protected my fairings, thank goodness! My issue was turning too tight, going too slow on an incline and not giving throttle. To be honest, the first couple hours were a little boring on a straight highway but it got more and more fun! The cooler air in the mountains, the twisties and the clouds close to the ground was a dream. The bike was performing great. It just kept getting better and I kept getting more comfortable handling it. It has plenty enough speed for me, when Im going 80-85mph it feels like Im going 50 mph. Its a weird feeling but the adjustability on the windscreen is amazing. I couldnt stop messing with it. Its so useful and convenient. The bike is fairly quiet but has a nice lions rumble to it. I have an aftermarket Delkevic exhaust on it. When you let off the throttle it slows down so nice & quick. I went an picked up groceries and was able to fit 2 gallons of milk, bannanas, a big yogurt container and a carton of eggs with more room to spare in the one side bag. I dont mind the seat really. After 300+ miles I wasnt too sore. It could use a little pad maybe but I am happy as a lark with it all. It seems like it only keeps getting more enjoyable and easier to manuever. I truly dont understand the complaints about the weight or height really. After my dropping it, I have done just as tight turns & have gotten more use to it & imagine Ill only get better. Theres room to grow & become a better rider on it like any bike I think. Look at what some people on Youtube can do with their FJR's. Riding through forests and wheeling and stuff. Not that I care to wheelie yet but Im just saying. I think its got plenty to not be bored like some have said.

I do have a question or two though. The bike was supposedly Dyno'd by the first owner. I have the CD and box that it came with. I dont know much about it. People talk about this bike being a rocket and to be honest I dont feel like it accelerates scary fast. I wont let myself go past 100 on it no ways but Im curious if maybe the Dyno made it economical & slowed it somehow? What can I do with the Dyno? Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with customizing it? Since I just bought the bike I was thinking of getting a valve adjustment done on it since it has 30,000 miles and all. I was going to just use the engine oil recommended from the owners manual. Full synthetic. Does anyone have any recommends or advice on what I should or could do to make it perform its best and last longer? Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220807_233820.jpg
    20220807_233820.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Regarding the Dyno - unlikely to make a big difference in power - not more than a couple HP one way or the other. For early Gen II bikes, the addition of a Power Commander was more about reducing the snatchy throttle at low openings. A number of different "maps" have been published and some have had a custom tune done. The Power Commannder/Dyno Tune is likely to make economy a bit worse since it richens up the mixture at low RPM if it has been done to improve throttle response. You can remove the PC from the circuit (and re-hook the O2 sensor which is usually disconnected with a PC setup) to compare with and without. (Or you could save current settings and program a "zero map".) Other than that, I wouldn't mess with the PC. Note: I had a "Dyno-tuned Power Commander III on my 2007 which I bought slightly used. I eventually removed it entirely because the map used had a significant impact on fuel use. I never played with different maps and got used to the throttle response.

The FJR has considerable power but isn't a rocket. A liter sport bike has more power and a much higher power-to-weight ratio. The FJR is a bit porky as well! I don't know what bike you are used to but try running a gear (or two) lower than you think you need and keep the RPM in the 6,000 to 7,000 range. You will get your surge of adrenaline but you will pay at the gas pump. The FJR doesn't even begin to wake up until it hits RPMs well beyond the point when a v-twin is done for the day.

A million oil threads here and they are all the same. Any decent motorcycle oil in the appropriate weight range should be good. A synthetic may give you a longer change interval and handle higher temperatures better but I doubt there is a real difference. Some people use "car" oils but you may run the risk of a slipping clutch - some oils contain additives that may not play well with a wet clutch. Personally, I usually use a full-synthetic Rotella T6 oil for diesel engines. I sold my '07 with almost 200,000 miles (still running great) and have 100,000 so far on my 2011. I have never had to add oil between changes. Oh, no matter what people say, reducing the oil change interval isn't going to make your engine last longer. I read about those who change oil every 2500 miles and just shake my head. Yamaha says to change the filter every second change and I'm good with that.

(The forum search function works very well. You can even use three letter search terms (i.e. oil), combinations of terms, by author etc.)

Hope you enjoy your FJR!

BigBlue,

If the FJR falls into turns, the front tire is under-inflated for your weight. If it stands up in turns, needing effort to hold a turn, the front tire is overinflated for your weight. The rear should feel planted, but not harsh. 40F/42R is a good starting point; at your weight, prolly less up front. Tinker by changing a few PSI at a time, from there. Some tires are more responsive to tire pressures than others.

At your mileage, I would ask for just a valve clearance check, not a rather expensive adjustment. Get a written report of the results. FJR valves hold to specs fairly well.

BigBlue,

If the FJR falls into turns, the front tire is under-inflated for your weight. If it stands up in turns, needing effort to hold a turn, the front tire is overinflated for your weight. ...
I find the opposite. Under-inflation leads to having to continue to countersteer to hold the corner, over-inflation makes it drop into corners too easily. With correct inflation, its steering is neutral, holds the corner with no pressure on the bars.

I have an 05 and it honks, pulls the front wheel off the ground in the first 3 gears at sea level. It has a half turn throttle so it takes a real effort to get it WFO, got to way over grip it, not a fan of that.

Good luck with the bike!

It's typically "2 bikes" with it being tame below half-redline and "wakes up" when above that. If you short-shift you'd not ever get to meet the other personality.

Sell the Power Commander and get Ivan's ECU reflash. You'll get faster and smoother throttle response and better gas mileage.
Have you rode a bike with one? What was it like? Im considering to do what you said after looking up Ivans. I feel like Im not getting the bestgas mileage right now. What kind of mpg can I expect with Ivans, do you know? Thank you!

It's typically "2 bikes" with it being tame below half-redline and "wakes up" when above that. If you short-shift you'd not ever get to meet the other personality.
I took this to heart and gave her a whirl. I see what you mean! ;)

I like sticking between 4000-6000 rpm.

I have an 05 and it honks, pulls the front wheel off the ground in the first 3 gears at sea level. It has a half turn throttle so it takes a real effort to get it WFO, got to way over grip it, not a fan of that.

Good luck with the bike!
WFO? Wide f'n open? Thanks man, I appreciate it. Havent got the front wheel up just yet haha :)

BigBlue,

If the FJR falls into turns, the front tire is under-inflated for your weight. If it stands up in turns, needing effort to hold a turn, the front tire is overinflated for your weight. The rear should feel planted, but not harsh. 40F/42R is a good starting point; at your weight, prolly less up front. Tinker by changing a few PSI at a time, from there. Some tires are more responsive to tire pressures than others.

At your mileage, I would ask for just a valve clearance check, not a rather expensive adjustment. Get a written report of the results. FJR valves hold to specs fairly well.
Thank you! I will do that. I wouldnt of known what to ask for so I appreciate it. And Ill see about the tire pressure. It seems good. I thi j its 40 38 right now. Ive been so busy with school I havent gotten much done but Ill try a little more pressure, even just to get better gas mileage

Regarding the Dyno - unlikely to make a big difference in power - not more than a couple HP one way or the other. For early Gen II bikes, the addition of a Power Commander was more about reducing the snatchy throttle at low openings. A number of different "maps" have been published and some have had a custom tune done. The Power Commannder/Dyno Tune is likely to make economy a bit worse since it richens up the mixture at low RPM if it has been done to improve throttle response. You can remove the PC from the circuit (and re-hook the O2 sensor which is usually disconnected with a PC setup) to compare with and without. (Or you could save current settings and program a "zero map".) Other than that, I wouldn't mess with the PC. Note: I had a "Dyno-tuned Power Commander III on my 2007 which I bought slightly used. I eventually removed it entirely because the map used had a significant impact on fuel use. I never played with different maps and got used to the throttle response.

The FJR has considerable power but isn't a rocket. A liter sport bike has more power and a much higher power-to-weight ratio. The FJR is a bit porky as well! I don't know what bike you are used to but try running a gear (or two) lower than you think you need and keep the RPM in the 6,000 to 7,000 range. You will get your surge of adrenaline but you will pay at the gas pump. The FJR doesn't even begin to wake up until it hits RPMs well beyond the point when a v-twin is done for the day.

A million oil threads here and they are all the same. Any decent motorcycle oil in the appropriate weight range should be good. A synthetic may give you a longer change interval and handle higher temperatures better but I doubt there is a real difference. Some people use "car" oils but you may run the risk of a slipping clutch - some oils contain additives that may not play well with a wet clutch. Personally, I usually use a full-synthetic Rotella T6 oil for diesel engines. I sold my '07 with almost 200,000 miles (still running great) and have 100,000 so far on my 2011. I have never had to add oil between changes. Oh, no matter what people say, reducing the oil change interval isn't going to make your engine last longer. I read about those who change oil every 2500 miles and just shake my head. Yamaha says to change the filter every second change and I'm good with that.

(The forum search function works very well. You can even use three letter search terms (i.e. oil), combinations of terms, by author etc.)

Hope you enjoy your FJR!
Thank you sir! A lot of good advice and knowledge in that post for me to reference! It helps a ton! I have been riding vetween 4 & 6 k rpms lately at a lower gear. It definitely is more fun! Its not the best on gas though so I may do what you said. Someone else mentioned getting an Ivans reflash as well. Not sure how to uninstall the Power Commander. Here I thought it having that was great but aim coning to find maybe it would be better without, especially when Im hearing how some others are getting 40-50mpg. Like you, the snatchiness doesnt bother me all that much and its gotten smootger the more I ride and get use to it.

Sorry for the late reply! I have been really busy with school and havent focused on much else. I really do appreciate the oil suggestions and everything else big time! Ive been using the search function some and scrolling through the different threads to learn what I can. Ill try to make better use next time.

Thanks again!

BigBlue, Yes my ECU has Ivan's flash. I went from low 40's to around 50 MPG. Plus it runs much smoother than with the stock ECU. Crisper throttle response and more linear power. Not really any faster that I can tell but that is not what I was looking for.

BigBlue, Yes my ECU has Ivan's flash. I went from low 40's to around 50 MPG. Plus it runs much smoother than with the stock ECU. Crisper throttle response and more linear power. Not really any faster that I can tell but that is not what I was looking for.
Darn, that sounds like something I need. I just checked and I lost a bar after only going 5 miles. Theres about 10 or so bars on the gas gauge. That means if Im getting 5 miles a bar than thats aweful. I should be able to go 300 miles but am only getting 50-60?

I would be more than happy to fix the throttle and get better gas mileage. I dont care to have more power honestly.

Is it easy to take out the power commander? Or do i have to reupload the old settings of the bike do you know?

Thank you for replying and your help.

BigBlue,

That top bar on the gas gauge is not equal to the bar spacing you get from the lower bars, because the top of the tank is domed a bit. I believe you can choose to see the digital display showing your present gas mileage constantly in real time, on one line for the display. On my FJR, that information will displace some other (useless) info, I think Outside Air Temperature, but small loss, there. Your Owners' Manual should tell you haw to set that up. If you do not have an Owners' Manual, somebody here will prolly have the link for a free download from Yamaha.

We also got Ivan’s flash and it’s a better option than just the power commander. Have not seen 50 mpg but we have seen an apparent small improvement along with all the benefits. First half and pre flash of a +1700 min road trip to the Dragon each fill up was 41-43 mpg.

The last tank on the way back was 45 mpg, WooHooo, but more riding is needed to confirm the overall increase in mpg.

The trip was mostly highway with the cruise around 80 as much as possible, tall V stream windscreen, 2 up with some gear. Betting that a switch to the Yamaha touring windscreen could see an improvement and pretty much guarantee sub 80 mph will increase mpg. We prefer not to get run over by dumb dumps in cages so tend to adjust speed accordingly.

We almost didn’t do the flash as the ECU was reflashed by the dealer last Sept and we had ZERO issues and were happy with the fueling and driveability. Overall the Ivan’s flash is great! Many many improvements most have already been mentioned.

I have expirienced two anomalies only one I think I can explain the other I have no clue but both where one time occurrences. There is one drivability behavior we did not experience prior to the flash that surprised me but could be due to me. This being when moving slowly throttle off idling in 2-3 gear ( 2 up and loaded bike not sure about one up yet) and going very slow the bike sometimes appears to surge. Not like a lean condition more like a I wanna go stop jacking around and give me some throttle bro, why are you in gear but coasting off throttle. Seems like removing the off throttle cutoff in that specific condition is the issue as there a touch of fuel even with throttle off and the engine wants to run. Other bikes with Ivan’s flash do not do this so the assumption is it’s this particular bike and driving condition. Don’t off throttle idle in 2-3 gear below 20 mph? Traffic sucks!

All that to say pull the power commander and see if things improve for you. Then visit or send your ECU to Ivan.

@VAcracker what year is your bike? I have an '06 that had an altitude sickness issue before I replaced the ECU. The symptoms were close to what you are describing, but only occurred after riding to a high elevation in a very easy pace. I am considering Ivan's flash.

@VAcracker what year is your bike? I have an '06 that had an altitude sickness issue before I replaced the ECU. The symptoms were close to what you are describing, but only occurred after riding to a high elevation in a very easy pace. I am considering Ivan's flash.
Interesting note. Biker is a 2016. Traveled SC, NC and TN. Issue was not in mountains and while it happened several times I can’t say it was not 100% guaranteed behavior.

I lost a bar after only going 5 miles.
That's normal. Mine does the same thing. I fill up with the bike on the side stand and the fuel pump nozzle just inside the big hole. When it clicks off I am done. As far as removing the Power Commander, just take it out and put the connectors back to stock. It has no effect on the ECU programming.