Proud New Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Jones

Reaction score
I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 FJR with only 1500 miles and a 360 day warranty!

I'm still getting to know my new ride, but I can already tell I make a great purchase.

This is my very first bike, any 'must know' suggestions are welcome.

Phil

Orange Park, FL :clapping:

Congrats!

Must knows: everything you'll need is in the MSF class. Go take one if you haven't.

Oh, and the rubber stuff should always stay on the ground :)

Congrats! I'm getting my 06 in August. Take the MSF course; no question. You picked a lot of bike for your first. Do it right.

Good riding

+1 on the MSF class, then take the advanced class, if they have one in your area.

"Must know?" I'll leave that up to the expert jokers here.

Hmmm... Must knows for a two-wheel virgin on an 05...

This will be fun! :D

* Change the oil and filter now, don't assume.

* Do the throttle spring mod to relieve spring tension.

* No passengers for 2,000 miles. Also, no passengers for 2,000 miles.

* Take the MSF course as mentioned, but use their bikes, not yours.

* Can you spell Tip Over Guards? You WILL drop it in a parking lot.

* Stay away from gravel at all costs. You ain't ready for an FJR and gravel.

* Do the throttle body sync and have NGK CR8EK plugs put in. It will smooth things out at low RPM and gain you a few MPG economy.

* Start saving for tires.

* Wipe that silly FJR lovin' grin off your face.

I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 FJR with only 1500 miles and a 360 day warranty!
I'm still getting to know my new ride, but I can already tell I make a great purchase.

Phil

Congrats!!!! And welcome, I lived it the park about 35 years ago and I still remember the address, 2819 Cedar Crest DR.

Until you get through the MSF course:

Always go slow _into_ the curve, you can always hit the throttle coming out. :(

Be aware the FJR engine kicks like a scalded donkey when it hits 6,000. :dribble:

When you can practice, try leaning the upper body when doing a curve, instead of just using motorcycle lean. That'll give you an Ace when you hit a curve too fast, lean over with the body (some people call it 'dipping a shoulder') :crazy:

From personal experience: lots of people here (me included) preach ATGATT, which is short for All The Gear All The Time. Jacket with real pads, pants with knee pads, real boots with reinforced ankles, good thick gloves, and a full face helmet. You never know when you're going to be saying hello to the macadam... :headbonk:

A year & 15k miles later, I'm still smiling when I get off this machine...

(EDIT)

Also, if you have access nearby, rent a dirt bike & spend a few days finding out what loss of traction feels like (on dirt, gravel, mud, etc). I did this along time ago & still have good reactions because of those early lessons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... Must knows for a two-wheel virgin on an 05...This will be fun! :D

* Do the throttle body sync and have NGK CR8EK plugs put in. It will smooth things out at low RPM and gain you a few MPG economy.

Thanks for the tips. I've completed the MSF class already. I'm not a complete moron! LOL :eek:

Can you put a link in your reply for the throttle spring mod? I searched for it but couldn't find it.

Tip over guards? Are these the 'sliders' I've been reading about?

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Phil

Congratulations! bet you can't wipe the smile off your face eh?

If I my be so bold as to suggest any advice, take your time you have the rest of you're life to learn there's no hurry mate.

Cheers and welcome to the clan.

Tip over guards? Are these the 'sliders' I've been reading about?
Yes, and depends... :) They both protect the fairing from greater damage when the bike goes horizontal, but TOGs are more for parking lot speed encounters, while frame sliders will help more if you go down at speed. Either (or both) are good, and better than nothing.

Welcome to the board! Enjoy the bike, it's a great one... :D

Conga rats on the new bike. It's a lot of motorcycle for a first time rider -- not intended as a holier than thou statement -- it's something you need to respect and address if you intend to still be riding in a couple years. Sneak up on its performance abilities as you learn and get used to what it will do -- esp. the engine. You asked for info, so here's my take on what you most need to know from what you've told us.

You have a great bike and good on you for taking the MSF course. Now you have to get just as automatic with a motorcycle's controls as you are with a car's . . . except that it's even more important and there are more nuances. So, look forward to, and commit to learning a lot. Take the advanced MSF course, sign up for other rider courses. (We're really not kidding on all this.) Read and immerse yourself in getting really good at the great sport you've decided to join. Like almost anything this thrilling and fun, the downside is that it can bite you hard if you don't respect it, and if you don't make a serious effort at getting good at it.

There are other good ones, but to me, by far the best book I can recommend is "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. Buy it, highlight it, read it more than once. Practice drills. You will need to be able to do panic stops from whatever speed you ride. You will need to understand target fixation and why it is critical to always know how to look where you're going to avoid the ever present temptation to fixate on something -- usually the thing you want to avoid. You heard it in the MSF course -- you go where you look -- THAT is the highest level of truth in motorcycling, and applies ALL THE TIME. So, mastering it is the primary skill to getting good and staying on the road and alive. Learn to look as far through the corner as you can and keep your eyes moving (please read the book). Practice these skills even when you're driving your car. (BTW, did you know that motorcycle riders are statistically safer automobile drivers?)

The fact is that even very experienced riders get injured and killed. We all hope you get to the point of being an "experienced rider" without learning anything the hard way. There is a lot to learn, and you have to learn it so well that the right reaction is innate. Still, all it takes is one mistake at the wrong time if it's your time -- do everything you can to put off that time.

Congrats on the bike, congrats on having chosen to get into one of the best sports there is. Congrats on saving yourself some gas money (and dumping those savings into tires). And welcome aboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations.... I just picked up the same bike yesterday, only mine came with 0 miles and a 4 year extended warranty. Have fun with it and be safe.

Welcome to the forum. I'll have to look up your location for a possible cruise. FL is full of crazy cagers. Be careful. Ride smart.

gitterdan

Phil

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck on your new blue steed.

Watch her she's top heavy with a full load of fuel and turning slowly in a parking lot. :unsure:

MOKO Sliders are a must. ;)

Don't ask me how I know. :dribble:

Now that you've done your MSF thing make sure you get your motorcycle endorsement on your license because a "riding award" (read ticket) in Florida is a mandatory trip to the judge without it. Don't ask my brother how he knows.... :glare:

Cheers B)

Hmmm... Must knows for a two-wheel virgin on an 05...This will be fun! :D

Don't ride in jeans and a t-shirt, like the guy who gave you the above advice does.

You can buy a Y.E.S. up until the factory warranty expires, but since you're in Florida, you have to buy it there ($$$$).

I would wait on that one.

Get to know your bike and ride it for at least a thousand miles before you do something like that.

This mod is not necessarily required (unless you are limp wristed :p ), especially on an 05.

Another good read is "Total Control" by Lee Parks. Follow the advice above; read and highlight. I re-read both books a couple of times a year. I'm taking the "CLASS" course at Barber Motorsports Park in October. You can never learn or practice enough.

Now all I have to do is get my bike :gah: