Proud New Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another good read is "Total Control" by Lee Parks. Follow the advice above; read and highlight. I re-read both books a couple of times a year. I'm taking the "CLASS" course at Barber Motorsports Park in October. You can never learn or practice enough.
Now all I have to do is get my bike :gah:
+1 on Lee's book, especially the pointers for turning in tight radiuses, and how to get through corners. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your input and advice! I'm taking it very very slow and my first goal is safety.

Any suggestions on where to get good riding pants that are not too hot to wear in the FL heat?

Phil

One other safety suggestion...

Avoid riding with others if they are a lot more experienced. Unless they are following you, they will likely tempt you (inadvertantly) to ride beyond your comfort zone. NOT A GOOD THING!

Oh, and on pants...

The cool ones often provide crap for protection. Get a pair with good hip and need pads. Don't buy them mail order unless you've already tried them on for fit. Everyone's built a bit differently.

I found the MotoGP pants to be among my favorite. Good protection, fit, looks, and reasonable price for high quality.

Thank you all for your input and advice! I'm taking it very very slow and my first goal is safety.
Any suggestions on where to get good riding pants that are not too hot to wear in the FL heat?

Phil
I won't tell you which ones to buy, but here's a supplier of gear that you need to have bookmarked:

https://www.newenough.com/index2.htm

The gear reviews written for each product on the site are usually pretty good, and give you a decent clue about relative performance and sizing. They are great about exchanges and correcting any errors, as well. You'll see them referred to often on this site.

Mesh with armor is most comfortable, but like anything, it's a compromise -- in protection. Draggin Jeans (or other Kevlar reinforced denim pants resist abrasion well, but have little armor/padding. You can get undergarments with that armor, however. Leather with armor is really the best (and most expensive), but even perforated leather may be too hot for summer riding where you are. There are various combinations of textiles with armor/padding, and you need to find out what fits. Best way to go is to go to a couple places that carry motorcycle gear and try on a lot of stuff, noting the sizes you wear in the jackets, pants, boots and gloves offered by the varying manufacturers. Most are pretty consistent in their sizing across their brand, but from brand to brand, it'll drive you nuts at the variability. Once you know what size you need in say, a Joe Rocket or Icon jacket, then ordering that mesh Icon jacket on line is easy. On the NewEnough site, check the "close outs" often. You can get some great deals there.

BTW, the advice above about Lee Parks' "Total Control" book is dead on the money as well -- I'd have listed that as my second reading choice behind Ienatsch's book.

One other safety suggestion...
Avoid riding with others if they are a lot more experienced. Unless they are following you, they will likely tempt you (inadvertantly) to ride beyond your comfort zone. NOT A GOOD THING!
Amen! We've been talking about this very issue with some of the rides at WFO, and I saw an excellent example of the dangers of this temptation at a Blackbird meet last month. Which prompts me to post a MUST READ link (note the author, and that you will see "Riding the Pace" regularly referenced on motorcycle sites such as this one):

https://www.fjrowners.ws/pace.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Congradulations! You picked one heck of a bike for a first one.

I recommend Hough Proficient Motorcycling. Riding A MC is like playing baseball. You have to have your head in the game as like when a ball is thrown to you you don't have time to think. You have to react. Hough, in easy reading articles lets you learn the right reactions to road traps, traffic traps, what not to do, and what to do. It is well worth the time to read. Stay Safe! tj

Moving from my 1977 BMW R100RS to my FJR was akin hopping on a bike for the first time. The difference was incredible! Hint: The power band is at around 5000rpm. Careful with the throttle there...wheelies will result.

Also, don't donwshift while turning.

Avoid hitting stationary, and moblie objects.

Stay on the road.

READ riding techniques and tips. This is more useful than you can know.

MSF.

I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 FJR with only 1500 miles and a 360 day warranty!
I'm still getting to know my new ride, but I can already tell I make a great purchase.

This is my very first bike, any 'must know' suggestions are welcome.

Phil

Orange Park, FL :clapping:
This is very important:

Before taking the MSF course, buy a copy of the DVD "Ride Like A Pro IV".

(There is probably a waiting list for the MSF course)

Study it at least 40X. Listen to every word carefully.

Do not ride this powerful bike until you've studied the video and have taken the MSF course.

Then rent a 250cc beginner bike and get your training before getting on the FJR.

Go to www.ridelikeapro.com to buy this video.

The 3 techniques:

1. Steering with the Head and Eyes

2. The Friction Zone - Clutch Control

3. Using the Rear Brake Properly

Regards,

SilverStreak

First bike! The one recommendation I will make in the safety department is GRAVEL! If you are just learning to ride "street bikes" one of a list of safety recommendations is LOOK OUT FOR GRAVEL. I have riden for about 35 years street and dirt. I do not care how well performing "handling ect" your ride is or how long you have riding, contacting GRAVEL on the road mainly street bikes not a good mix. Even dismounting after a good and stepping on gravel is a bad thing. Have fun, in all the years I have ridden this by far is the funnest bike I have had.

Congrads to us both! I just picked up my '05 FJR 1-July-06 (only 1900 miles on it) and I love it. BTW My first bike too. My friends & coworkers are REALLY jealous :p I woke up in the middle of first night to see it to make sure I wasn't dreaming LOL.

It is a big and fast bike. I dropped on my first day , trying to get it up my steep driveway into the garrage. It was a controlled drop (if such a term exists) and only a minor scuff which you can hardly see... I got very lucky.

Thanks to everyone for all the advise. The wife has been reading this thread & just purchased sliders (TOGs soon) & is encouraging me to take the advanced training... Bless her!

I took her for a short ride (under 20 miles) after having it only 2 days... not a good idea. She isn't too fond of unable to see where we are going (security/control) and the new ride experience. I felt secure about it, but the bike's superior performance combined with me learning the bike only adds to the "I'm freaked I want to get off!" factor. Important to note I never broke 55mph, no luggage, local rural roads only. :blink: May try to increase sag or changing saddle so my feet are flat (I'm close now... but borderline).

I am going to take the advanced training class and not to attempt passengers on med/long ride until I get my 2k miles in. I want to install lojack eventually as it's on the street for the time being. I need more experience before attempt #2 into garage (preferably w/out wife watching next time lol). Thanks again for everyone's help!