Puddles on the Floor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I came in from mowing the yard yesterday morning to find a small puddle in the Kitchen......I immediately accused the old dog of peeing in the kitchen as he has been slowly losing his ability to drink three swallows of water without wanting to immediately go out and pee.

Nice day, both dogs go out on the deck, I clean up the puddle, gear up and ride to Rapid City for the Sunday Beemer Koffee Klatch (Not Starbucks).

When I get home I walk through the kitchen and there is now a real big puddle in the kitchen and it seems to be coming from the refrigerator.

I apologize to the dog, Empty the refrigerator into the freezer and Ice Chests. Compressor doesn't appear to be compressing and at seventeen it doesn't really owe me anything.

SWMBO is in Boston, I call and report, ask her WTF she wants me to do.

"Buy a refrigerator," she says.

Hmmmmm....think I.

Me buying a refrigerator for her would be like her buying a Motorcycle or a gun for me.

I go look at refrigerators. Crap, they range from $699 to $3,699.

I find one I like, French doors, Bottom Freezer, Ice and Water in the door, Door-in-door so I can get a beer without opening the big doors. I text her the details thinking I've hit a home run.

SWMBO texts back "I don't want that much refrigerator!"

I'm glad I didn't just buy it.

Pick SWMBO up at the airport this afternoon and we shop - not anywhere close to being on the same page.
I got water and Ice in the door but that's it. SWMBO seems happy.

Delivery tomorrow.

Peace and Love reign supreme in the Black Hills.

Dodged a bullet me thinks.

My Friend, you are a Smart Man. I would never buy a refrigerator for the kitchen I cook in without the approval of Mrs. Redfish.

Mrs. Redfish wanted all stainless steel appliances when we built the house. Mrs. Redfish likes to use magnets from our travels to attach pics all over the door of the refrigerator. Magnets do not stick to stainless steel.

Since I like being married I take advantage of every opportunity to keep Mrs. Redfish happy. She was Deeply Impressed when I pulled a magnet out of my pocket at the appliance store. She got her SS look but there is carbon steel behind it.

What sane person shops for a refrigerator based on that criteria?

Those bottom freezers actually suck. You end up piling stuff in there like a chest freezer and you can't get to anything without digging.

I could care less about ice in the door. That mechanism takes up too much useful room.

And side-by-sides, unless HUGE, are very limited in the size of something that will go in the freezer.

So, for me, it's top freezer forever. I lucked into a 23 ft unit several years ago that had been delivered and then returned. Still brand new, never connected, but couldn't be sold new since it had been delivered. 1300-dollar unit for 500 bucks! And that was 15, 18 years ago, so it would easily be a couple grand these days. Holds a gallon milk jug in the door shelf, makes ice as fast as I can consume it, slide-out glass shelves with raised edges to catch spills, and even a light in the freezer.

I agree that the bottom freezer is a pain. I have two freezers in the garage so I would like a reefer with no freezer. My latest is a Samsung and it's a POS. the ice maker is in the upper part where it is to warm for it and has been replaced 4 times in three years. The main cooling unit in the back of the reefer part freezes up monthly and requires unloading the whole thing and standing there with a hair dryer for half an hour.

I'm hoping it dies soon so I can shoot it and then ask the repair guy which one he Doesn't have to work on and buy that one.

My appliance woe with a wife out of town was a dishwasher. I also blamed the dog because there was a puddle in the basement under the kitchen. Like you I cleaned it up and next day, sure enough, there it was in full force in the basement but this time it was also adjacent to the dishwasher upstairs. The main seal was leaking and I had resurrected that thing enough times in the previous 15 years to nickname it Lazarus so its time had come.

Unlike you, my wife bought me a pistol which happens to still be my favorite. So I shot the dog anyway to deal with any possible future problems.

I found that even after sending links for potential replacements that I liked to my wife and discussing them by phone the only spousal advice was, "get what you think is best but I had better like it." I didn't find that too helpful. Naturally, any current shortcoming with the dishwasher is my fault. Well, actually ANY shortcoming is my fault.

I agree that the bottom freezer is a pain. I have two freezers in the garage so I would like a reefer with no freezer. My latest is a Samsung and it's a POS. the ice maker is in the upper part where it is to warm for it and has been replaced 4 times in three years. The main cooling unit in the back of the reefer part freezes up monthly and requires unloading the whole thing and standing there with a hair dryer for half an hour.I'm hoping it dies soon so I can shoot it and then ask the repair guy which one he Doesn't have to work on and buy that one.
^^^^^ We are in the same boat. My Samsung bottom freezer, ice in door (double door) has the same water collecting and freezing below the pull out tray. I have to de-ice that bastard monthly or you cannot pull out the tray. I saw a U-tube video on how to install a heating wire to keep the drain hole defrosted. That is beyond my pay grade so I do the monthly ritual. When this refrig. dies there will be no Samsung replacement.