purchased 2006 fjr today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve10608

Reaction score
I came across a great deal on a 2006 fjr today. 11k on the clock. Looks like new. I flopped down the cash and rode her home. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. It has a few aftermarket parts on the bike. A power commander and a K&N air filter. I am familiar with the K&N air filter but don't know much about the power commander. Does anyone know the pros and cons. Does anyone have a good source for motorcycle insurance? I hoping to get a break on the price since the fjr is a sport touring bike.

Thanks

Welcome. The power commander on the 06 is a must. Do you know if it has a G2 tube as well? You can tell pretty easily. If the tube under the throttle is silver it is likely a G2. The stock tube is nylon (white). What part of Texas are you in?

Congrats on the 06! Lots of good info here on the forum to help you spend your money on it too.

Congrats, nice low mileage find! Lots of threads regarding a power commander addition, both pro and con.

Enjoy the new ride!

--G

CONGRATS on the new bike and have fun with it!!

I lived in Texas for many years and all I can say is SHOP AROUND for insurance.

I had Dairyland for a long time then went to switched to Progressive before I moved to Arkansas.

Lots of guys who have State Farm have good luck and lower rates by adding it on with their HO insurance.

I bought my 06 2 years ago with 11k miles on it. PCIII and G2 throttle tube are 2 of the best things to do to your FJR. Yes, the 06 is the fastest and best looking of the lot. :)

CONGRATS on the new bike and have fun with it!!
I lived in Texas for many years and all I can say is SHOP AROUND for insurance.

I had Dairyland for a long time then went to switched to Progressive before I moved to Arkansas.

Lots of guys who have State Farm have good luck and lower rates by adding it on with their HO insurance.
+1, I got a real good deal from state farm for "bundling" everything together.

Congrats Steve and welcome to the nuthouse
wink.png

Inquire straight to your homeowners policy's agent. Heck on mine, I now have my 5th Wheel camper, 2 snowmobiles, 2 bikes. Def the cheapest if you have the right connection. Good Luck, Ride Safe!

It appears to have the stock throttle tube. It's white plastic. I live in Boerne Tx.........about thirty miles west of San Antonio. The previous owner said there was a recall to replace the ecu........which he had done. He commented that the power commander wasn't really needed because of the upgraded ecu. I'm going to leave it hooked up. It's averaging about 48 mpg. Im thinking the power commander might be contributing to the good gas mileage. Thanks for all the kind greetings

Nice town in which to own an FJR.

The ECU recall and PC address two separate issues. The ECU change is to address driveability problems that cropped up with altitude changes during a ride. The PC is added to fix lean surging and abrupt throttle response issues that are most pronounced on the '06 and '07 models. With the PC in place, the dash MPG display is not accurate because the PC alters the amount of fuel injected from that intended by the ECU. You have to calculate your fool economy the old fashioned way, I'm afraid.

Nice bike, I have the same year.

I will definitely leave it hooked up. I used to own a bmw r1100rt. The surging at low rpm's was terrible. The frj seem to run pretty smooth and the throttle response seems to be about right at least as far as I can tell. The pc is probably helping with those issues. I am going to look into installing a g2 throttle tube.

I will definitely leave it hooked up. I used to own a bmw r1100rt. The surging at low rpm's was terrible. The frj seem to run pretty smooth and the throttle response seems to be about right at least as far as I can tell. The pc is probably helping with those issues. I am going to look into installing a g2 throttle tube.
You'll be fine with the plan you've outlined, leave the PC hooked up and get the G2. I don't have a Power Commander, but I get along OK with the G2. I just have to concentrate hard when twisting the grip out of a corner, that I don't give too much. Basically the stock throttle "shuts off" the engine when released, and when "twisting back up" has a tendency to lurch..................hard. You won't experience the full effect of an unmodified 2006 with your PC install, but you may experience more than later FJR models. One should learn finesse when applying or "dis"applying the throttle with the 2006 and 2007 models!!

Thanks for the tip. I will practice the finesse throttling until I am able to install the g2. I am going to try to get the seat adjusted to the right height today. I have a 34" inseam. I noticed that the bars have three different positions as well.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for the tip. I will practice the finesse throttling until I am able to install the g2. I am going to try to get the seat adjusted to the right height today. I have a 34" inseam. I noticed that the bars have three different positions as well.
Thanks

Steve
I have a 34" inseam too, and like the seat in the high position. I installed handle bar riser blocks to make things a bit more comfortable, you can find lots of info. on handlebar adjustments by searching the forum. Good Luck!

It appears to have the stock throttle tube. It's white plastic. I live in Boerne Tx.........about thirty miles west of San Antonio. The previous owner said there was a recall to replace the ecu........which he had done. He commented that the power commander wasn't really needed because of the upgraded ecu. I'm going to leave it hooked up. It's averaging about 48 mpg. Im thinking the power commander might be contributing to the good gas mileage. Thanks for all the kind greetings
Your Power Commander will almost certainly hurt fuel mileage but (for most people) it is a small price to pay for a smoother throttle response. I am on the other side of the fence - my '07 had a PC III on it when I got it and I removed it. Got used to the throttle response and saw a significant improvement in fuel economy. You should note that the MPG meter does not accurately represent mileage if you have the PC - way too optimistic. The only way to determine mileage if you have a Power Commander is to do it the old-fashioned way - calculate when you fill it up.

I had a feeling that 48 mpg was to good to be true. I don't mind feeding her a little more fuel for smoother acceleration.

Welcome from Seattle and congrats on your new bike, also make sure to take up the slack in the throttle cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new ride, I also have an '06 and love it! I'm running a G2 tube, 2Bros Slip-ons, stock ECU, no P/C, and no K&N. Throttle is a little abrupt but nothing I haven't learned to master in the last 10K miles. ;)

I'm also using Progressive as they offered the best deal for the most coverage and seemed decent to deal with both online and over the phone. In paying just under $625 per year for full coverage and maxed out on all the collision/comp options. Better than Farm Bureau and State Farm, however I'm a renter with no home to insure. :p