Put a 2017 motor in a 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't THINK there were any changes that would require anything done to the ECU. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Edit: OK, I'm an idiot who didn't think about the 6-speed vs 5-speed!!

What happened to the 2014 motor that makes replacement preferable to repair???

Last edited:
You're moving from a 5-spd to 6-spd transmission. Gear indication will not display properly, don't know exactly what you'll see. If it were me, I'd find a '13 - '15 engine for direct swap.

Good luck!

~G

Like the fart smeller above alluded to, I think you could be opening yourself up to all kins of issues. ECU for sure - and I don't think you could just reflash it. Also the meter display. And who knows what else? Still, you should do it so we will know if can be done or not!

What happened to your '14 motor?

Damn, I forgot about the 6-speed!
:rolleyes:
Wonder if you could use the transmission from the '14 - if it is even compatible. As above, probably easier to find a '13-'15.
You might need the ECU and the meter assembly as well as the motor,

You might need the ECU and the meter assembly as well as the motor,
I think that's a given Ross. ECU for the correct signals to the 6-spd meter assembly. When you add in the immobilizer function, don't know what can-of-worms this opens.

Be fun to find out!

~G

The middle drive shaft got pushed out towards the clutch side breaking the bearing stay inside, I was shifting from 1st to 2nd(pretty aggressively),I think a tooth broke off the pinion gear and got jammed between the two gears...new cases are 3000,plus all the bearings, outer case etc,plus labour on a80,000km motor

2013 is the start of Gen III. Where it changes to Gen III+ (or Gen IV) is a matter of some debate.

"A" model (all that was available in 2013) has conventional forks. The ES is the electronically adjustable suspension available from '14 onwards- "A" was still available some years.

That one has been listed awhile - maybe you want to check it out and make him an offer... Always a risky business buying a used motor!

EDIT: AS FAR AS I KNOW, there should be no compatibility issues (but I stuck my foot in that mess already once today!!!).

So the VIN# I ran was from the donor 2017,the guy didn't tell me it was an A model,mine is a 2014es,5 speed..think I'm gonna keep looking for a plug and play...gonna call Ivan tomorrow and see what he has to say about the ecu,thanks again guys!

So the VIN# I ran was from the donor 2017,the guy didn't tell me it was an A model,mine is a 2014es,5 speed..think I'm gonna keep looking for a plug and play...gonna call Ivan tomorrow and see what he has to say about the ecu,thanks again guys!
As @escapefjrtist said, there isn't a difference between the engine in an A and AE.
But the 2017 is problematic for both display and ECU.

But the 2017 is problematic for both display and ECU.

Bingo.

I don't think Ivan can reflash an ECU from 5-spd to 6-spd or vice-versa. But, I don't know that for sure. So yes, call and ask and let us know. I know he told me you really can't switch between an 'A' model ECU and an 'ES' model ECU, even with his reflash.