Question about V-Strom Handguard Installation on Gen I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harfooz

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been installing the V-Strom handguards as outlined on https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=30. I bought all the parts that are described on that page. Namely,

Quantity/Suzuki PN/Nomenclature

• 2 02142-06107 Screw
  • 4 09160-06130 Washer
  • 2 08319-21068 Nut
  • 2 57431-06G00 Bolt, Lever
  • 2 08316-10063 Nut

After removing the pivot bolt and installing the new one, it looks like the front brake pivot bolt does not seat all the way down onto its shoulder. That is, it's sticking up about .25" before its shoulder. It's on there tight.

I put a wash under the bolt, and installed the 10mm nut on the bottom of the bolt.

On top I've got another washer and the silver screw.

So all but two items on the parts list have been used, and everything seems secure. I can't figure out where the two silver nuts (PN 08319-21068) are supposed to go.

So my two questions are:

1. Is it normal that the replacement front brake pivot bolt does not seat all the way down on its shoulder?

2. Where do the two silver nuts (PN 08319-21068) go?

Thanks for the help! Looking forward to getting this mod on the bike for the winter. It's a big step up from the Tropicana juice containers I Krylon'd black and strapped on with boot laces! These handguards look good on the bike!

'fooz

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the brake side pivot bolt does stick up like that

100_3820.jpg

But the clutch side does not

100_3823.jpg

As for the nuts, the dark colored nut is the locknut for the pivot bolt, then you install a washer and the bright colored nut on the outside of those, like this:

100_3825.jpg

This forms the channel that the plastic slot of the hand guard fits into.

100_3824.jpg

Once you assemble all of this, you only need to remove the big philips screw and washer on the top to remove or re-install the hand guards.

Hi 'fooz,

I don't know about your Q #1, as I'm having a Gen II,

For your Q #2, I just installed them Hand Guards myself and used the 10 mm nut to counter the lock nut on the pivot bolts for the levers, made sense to me.

V

RPK

Great! Thank you both for your quick replies. That clears things up for me.

I appreciate your help!

'fooz

1. Thought I was doing something wrong for sure, since the guard didn't seem to fit over the longer bolts at first (another member and I did ours together and we both had the same questions). Turned out it just took some brute force to get the thing in place; then it fit just fine.

2. As Fred points out, it's so easy to go back and forth in the Spring and Fall. One screw. Just leave all the new hardware in place once it's installed the first time.

3. They help some. Not a hell of a lot, IMHO, but some.

Even thought they do come off easy enough, I actually left them on all last summer. The one thing that they do really well, since there is no such thing as a waterproof glove, is to keep your hands from getting quite as wet when riding in heavy rain, and also to keep the rain from blowing up your sleeves when you have shortie gloves on.

3. They help some. Not a hell of a lot, IMHO, but some.

What?!?!?! You're weird! They help a metric shitload!

Like smart feller Fred, I leave mine on all year round. I couldn't live without them. Which is another reason besides the POS cruise control why I would have trouble moving on to the '13 FJR. So the '13 model heated grips. Well, they don't help keeping your hands dry in the rain!