Question for those with MC Cruise installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobOdenweller

Reaction score
I installed the MC Cruise last year and it works quite well. When I installed it I had a problem with the throttle return spring. I had done the mod of unwinding it one twist to lessen the effort required to turn the throttle. With the MC Cruise installed, there was enough added resistence so that the throttle would not return all the way to idle when it was released. It may not have been entirely the fault of the cruise control as I also added the model of the G2 throttle tube without the derlin inserts. That might have added some resistence. It was a royal pain to rewind that spring. Problem is that I really dislike the amount of force it takes to turn the throttle and I am considering unwinding it again. I am in the process of swapping out my G2 for one with derlin bushings. I lubed all the cables and I applied a small amount of grease to the bolt that goes through the center of the MC Cruise cable junction box. Maybe these things will help if I should try it again.

Are there other MC Cruise users that did the throttle spring unwind mod? Did you experience similar results? Do you think it is a big deal if the throttle does not return all the way to idle all by itself?

Thanks,

Bob

I have the spring unwound by one turn, but with the OEM throttle tube. I too cleaned and lubed the cables and applied a little silicone grease on the components inside the CIU box. It sounds like my throttle comes back a little better than yours, but still a bit "lazy", especially when coming off of higher RPMs when there is more vacuum in the system.

It would certainly be nice if anyone with an MCCruise who's figured out a way to get complete and prompt throttle return with an unwound center spring would explain what they did.

I make it a habit, however, to "move" the throttle manually off myself rather than relying on the return springs.

I wonder if disengaging the return cable up at the throttle and down by the "carb" would help. Do we really need that cable? It might be a little less resistence without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if disengaging the return cable up at the throttle and down by the "carb" would help. Do we really need that cable? It might be a little less resistence without it.
From what I've read about the design of this type of throttle system IMHO that would be a bad idea.

I have an MCCruise CC, but can't answer your question except to agree with the earlier comment that the throttle return is a little weak and I, too, "make it a habit to 'move' the throttle manually off myself rather than relying on the return springs."

Mine's a 2003 and I've had it on the bike so long I don't remember what the throttle spring was like before, except to speculate it was a bit more deliberate than it is now.

Adjust the cable slack, just down from the grip. Just a tiny bit more slack should free it up.

I have the MC Cruise but left everything stock, I didn't adjust the return spring. The MCC installation instructions call for lubing the throttle tube with a little bit of engine oil (lighter than grease, heavier than WD 40), the stock installation is dry - have you done this?

Ron

I think I am close to completely resolving this. I did these three things which each helped slightly: 1) pulled the grip back so it is not even close to rubbing. 2) used degreaser to clean the motor especially around the "carb". 3) Re-routed the throttle cable to the opposite side of the spark plug wire. See the image below.

The throttle snaps back nice and smooth now. About 2 seconds. Next I will be replacing my G2 throttle tube with their newer derlin bushing version. I am also replacing my grips for Hotgrips and I will be extra careful to leave a nice gap so it won't rub. I'm also installing a Power Commander 5, but that's not related to this. Finally I will unwind the spring one revolution. I do that with some trepidation because I know first hand how difficult it can be to rewind the spring. I got the idea on this website to secure a small gage wire to the spring prior to unwinding in order to simplify rewinding if that becomes necessary.

MCCruiseCableRouting.jpg

The arrow in the above image shows the new way that I routed the throttle cable.

I am glad to see you found a solution. Looking at your #3 solution picture, I can see that would have been a big factor.

Ron

Latest posts