Questions on a clutch soak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Ryder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 2006AE. In an effort to better the shifting I'm doing a (recommended) clutch soak for the first time. Following the guide on this forum here I've done the removal of the plates. However it mentions that the clutch plates have a pink spot on one of their 'ears'.

Looking closely at my clutch plates, I can find 2 or 3 of them that have this pink marking, the others do not either on the front / rear / side. I then tried to find any other markings and a pattern for them. I found the plates were stamped on three adjacent ears with various numbers. However there was no pattern on alignment with the plates with the pink marking (appeared random), further when pulling those plates I noted sometimes the markings were inside facing while others on the outside facing.

I'm really concerned that I'm not going to get these lined up in the proper orientation when I put them back in (I can almost guarantee it at this point). To my naked eye the plates look they are the identical all the way around, but the threads I've read talk about the importance of lining them up. Any guidance / help? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You might PM mcatrophy to be sure he sees and responds to this thread. He seems to be pretty on top of this clutch soak thing

The service manual does not mention the pink dots or any other specifics about aligning the clutch plates. I just put mine back in without caring about their orientation, and my bike hasn't exploded yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm listening!!!

I agree with UselessPickles, I don't really believe the alignment is critical. I mentioned it simply because, in my investigations, I came across billfjr's post (mentioned in mine) that said about the dots.

I have seen no other reference to them, including looking through the workshop manual.

As I mentioned in my post, when I took mine apart they weren't aligned "properly", but apart from the sticky issues, gave no detectable symptoms of anything being amiss.

If I were you, I'd just reassemble without worrying. Just make sure everything is seated correctly and you'll be fine.

Thank you both gentlemen, I was hoping as much. Thanks for the quick reply, I'll work on the reassembly tomorrow after my plates have had an enjoyable soak!

On my way to this Barnett Clutch Pack

barnett%20done.jpg

My '10 did have it's dots in a row on the third slot to the right.

clutch%20dot.jpg

However the Barnett pac had no markings and been doing fine for 12,000 miles so far.

I have no clue what the dots serves at the assembly area of Yamaha?

As the Barnett proofed out with no markings just stick em in, and get er done!

Laf, that has to be one of the most beautiful parts you only see as you install it. Very nice, drool.

LAF, could you pls give some feedback on the Barnett clutch pack, pros vs cons.
It is pretty isn't it?

I can not really give you much. I just decided to do a clutch soak as I had/have a notchy 2nd gear change. It did not change that. I had few miles on the bike at the time, very few. So I said well if I am going to soak I will replace as I wanted to try the spring pack instead of the diaphragm type used OEM.

I can say I have never slipped it no matter what conditions I put it under but I suspect you can not slip a OEM pac?

Clutch pull is very nice though and gray area is very easy and consistent to use.

I thing the spring makes a difference in pull, but the clutch plates make little difference but I had very few miles on the OEM.

I found as everyone else the first and last plates were the only plates wet. I also initially felt it solved my 2nd shift but after a time it was not to be.

I would say in all honesty that if you need a new clutch than go with a Barnett if it is comparable in price to a OEM pac. If not then use OEM. I have a new OEM pac with less than 1000 miles on it still sitting in a plastic container of oil so if I need one it will be the one to go in.

The spring is different as I feel it did improve clutch pull and control in using the gray area in slow speed clutch, rear brake work.

So that is my honest thoughts on it, spring yes, clutch plates, who knows?

Still wanna know why only first and last plates are wet, and I bet if I pulled mine now it would be the same, only two plates wet.