Quiet Ride Hearing Protection Muffs, Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogopogo

Reaction score
quiet_ride_muffs.jpg

https://www.quietridemuffs.com/

Wow. What a difference. Finally have the helmet speakers on the proper side of the hearing protection.

Pros

Quieter than any ear plugs I've tried

Don't have to do the helmet off-on any more because I forgot the earplugs

Can listen to music at about 1/2 volume, even at high speeds

No more having to blast the music through the earplugs, which never worked worth a damn for me

Good vendor, reportedly cooperative if you need advice or to return the kit

Cons

Not a trivial installation job

Not cheap, but great value in my opinion

May not be feasible for folks with big heads

Tough to figure out if they'll fit until you try

Might be warm for some, but was OK at 25C for me

It's definitely a different sensation riding with these things. I remember my first ride with earplugs, and the detached feeling that took a few rides to get used to. The Quiet Ride muffs add an additional level of detachment. After two rides I was used to it though. If you've ever worn an aviation headset in a light aircraft, you know what to expect. The sound is sort of a muffled din. If I duck down completely into the bubble behind my windshield, the din disappears.

Some helmets might make for an easier installation, and some folks can surely work faster, but it took me about a day's work on my modular. About 2 hours to decipher the helmet components, and carve out enough foam little by little to get the first muff into an acceptable position. It was tougher than I expected to figure out where my ears are.
smile.png
Another 3 hours or so to do the second one, and fiddle with the speakers and wiring and plumbing. Then another couple hours to do some tidy-up sewing and readjustment after a test ride.

If you like the concept but are squeamish about the helmet surgery, Quiet Ride sells helmets that incorporate the muffs.

I have a basic bluetooth intercom https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1x-1200M-BT-Intercom-Bluetooth-Interphone-Motorcycle-Helmet-Headset-FM-5-Riders-/261515289551?pt=Intercoms_Access_Controls&hash=item3ce386a3cf and had no trouble installing its speakers in the muffs. I assume that more expensive intercoms would sound better, but I'm very satisfied with the sound quality of mine now.

I wear a size small helmet and mine had sufficient space. It's about time I got some benefit from having a shell that's so much bigger than my head. The lower, removable piece of foam I was carving out actually has some additional space between it and the shell that I could have used, but I didn't have to carve that deep. I did the rough carving with a knife, and sort of machined the muff area flat with a triangular sanding rasp on an oscillating tool. To judge the depth, I drilled a few holes about a quarter inch deep, used a sharpie to color the bottom of the holes, and sanded until I hit the marked area. It's still a bit tight since I can almost get by without pumping up the bladders. In fact, some people might be able to do without the bladders if they can get an acceptable compromise between putting on the helmet easily and having a decent seal on the muffs.

I cut shallow grooves in the main helmet foam to accommodate the hoses and wiring, and taped those into place. Did some whittling on the cheek pads, and added some velcro on one leg to make up for the absence of the attachment clip I had to cut away. BTW, I did a test ride without those cheek pads and was surprised at how much more air and noise was present.

Very happy with the end result. The muffs work so well that music, phone, and nav directions are all very practical. And now any time I get bored I can chat with Google Assistant.
smile.png
The pump is hanging down the side of the left helmet strap. I thought I might have to clip it up somehow, but it's fine as is. Easy and quick to pump or release pressure.

Interesting concept, and though a bit complex, it addresses an undeniable problem. You note an interesting mix of pros and cons. I also wonder about whether that might be considered nonconforming with states that have vehicular laws against in ear speakers or headphones. Glad you found a solution that works for you: I too long to have my hearing protection on the right side of lower volume speakers.

I ordered a set and will see how they work. I've been looking to kludge something like this from aviation headset components. The bad news? I have 3 different helmets I use in different circumstances. Which one to try it with - decisions, decisions.

I ordered a set and will see how they work. I've been looking to kludge something like this from aviation headset components. The bad news? I have 3 different helmets I use in different circumstances. Which one to try it with - decisions, decisions.
The gel seals are nice, as good as any headset I've worn. And the cups are shallower. One helmet might be easier than another so that might make the choice for you. I think I could do a second installation in less than half the time, mostly because I'd be less timid about the foam cutting. So worst case, if you decide to do all three... :)

Some things I thought of afterwards -

It might be worth fabbing a simple caliper out of cardboard or whatever to measure head width and shell width to determine available space. It could also be used to measure the outside width of the cups on your head. From that you could make a width template which would help with deciding how deep to carve, instead of putting the helmet on and off so many times.

The other thing is some means of marking ideal initial cup position. Chalk your ears? :)

I made good use of some self adhesive velcro I had on hand - to replace the kit pieces when I re-positioned, on the cheek pads where I cut away some fasteners, and on the mic mount.

While the helmet was on the operating table (wadded up sheet) I got rid of the hokey clamp on my intercom by attaching its mounting base with a couple of small nuts and bolts.

Interesting concept, except the part of carving into the helmet.

I´m not comfortable with the thought of decresing the protection of my head.

Excellent write up, ogopogo. Yeah or nay on the product, you gave great guidance here to anyone considering it. Thank you.