Radio mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom of VA

Reaction score
I think I'm going to by a SIRIUS Starmate Replay receiver for my FJ. I've given up on the FM reception and I'm thinking of trying Sirius. I like that the Starmate is illuminated and has large buttons I can work with my gloves. Any advice at all about signal reception or mounting set-ups would be greatly appreciated. I have seen some mounts specifically for the FJ/Sirius but I can't remember where.

Thanks!

:good: :thumbdown: :thumbup:

Techmount.

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Take a look at the Xact version of the Sirius. I bought one at Best Buy for $50. It has a knob to change the stations and the dial is on the edge. The whole thing isn't much bigger than a deck of cards.

I plan on mounting it vertically, with the dial facing up, along side the glove box down in the fork area. Instead, if I can get up the nerve, I may be able to enlarge the glove box to accept it with the Softline intercom next to it. The solenoid assembly has already been removed.

I hope to mount the antenna on top of the left mirror.

dobias <_<

The particular receiver that I have is a real POS. The antenna pick-up on the unit loosened up real fast and I have to fiddle with it a lot to get reception. Other than that, the unit receives an advance signal that maintains play for a short period of time which is helpful when you go through a short tunnel or under a tree canopy. However, in wooded areas, canyons and metro areas with lots of tall buildings, reception is choppy and gets to be really annoying. When that happens, I switch to MP3 or go silent...

I place the receiver in my tank bag like I did my MP3 player. I run the antenna "bump" on the ECM Shelf and hold it in place with Velcro.

I place the receiver in my tank bag like I did my MP3 player. I run the antenna "bump" on the ECM Shelf and hold it in place with Velcro.
Yeah, that's what I did at first. My problem with that was twofold. First, the bugger gets muy calente. It actually melted my flashlight a bit. Second, changing stations and volume at speed is impossible. Security is an issue with it on the bar, but a simple phone call will shut the unit off from reception and it's relatively cheap so...

TWN,
How is your camera attached to the stem stand?

gypsy
Standard camera type thumb screw coming up through the plate into the tripod mount of the camera. You can see the black thumb screw in the second photo. The black material on the plate is sheet rubber to help quell vibrations.

God forbid you ever have an "oops"....

Don't know how much a cameraectomy would cost in SoCal, but here in CenFla it's fairly dear. :)

God forbid you ever have an "oops"....
Don't know how much a cameraectomy would cost in SoCal, but here in CenFla it's fairly dear. :)
Nah, I farkled in the Wing air bag last weekend. Should be up on the Tech site soon...

wooded areas, canyons and metro areas with lots of tall buildings, reception is choppy and gets to be really annoying
Crap, this is why I wanted satellite in the first place. My FM walkman reception sucks. Since no one make a motorcycle radio I thought this would be a good solution. It seems that the Sirius reception isn’t any better....

IMG_1281.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing you might consider is this...

Your typical "Walkman"-style radio uses the headphone wire as its antenna. It might be worth procurring a headphone extension cord, say another 3-6 feet, temporarily taping the extension around the perimeter of the shield and/or fairing and see if you don't get a boost in signal. The downside is you might be increasing the amount of electronic "engine" noise you're already getting from the ECU, ignition and alternator, all of which I'd be reasonably sure aren't shielded.

wooded areas, canyons and metro areas with lots of tall buildings, reception is choppy and gets to be really annoying
Not HALF as annoying as when Stern goes on Sirius.

[SIZE=7pt](let the Stern sheep-bleatings begin...)[/SIZE]

I have a Pioneer XM unit that also records. I keep 5-8 hours of recorded music on it and when I get into canyons or other bad reception area's I switch to recorded then back when I'm on the hwy/

I have a Pioneer XM unit that also records. I keep 5-8 hours of recorded music on it and when I get into canyons or other bad reception area's I switch to recorded then back when I'm on the hwy/
Sirius' version just hit the streets with 50 hours of recordable time - 300 bucks or so, IIRC. Good idea, 'cept all my gear is new...

That's the only reason why I got Sirius. Now that he is free of the FCC (for the time being), his show will rock. Don't get on my case about Stern. He and I go back to the 70's when he was on WCCC, 'All Request Radio', back in Hartford. To me, he's like and old pair of jeans that you just can't throw out...

Sirius' version just hit the streets with 50 hours of recordable time - 300 bucks or so, IIRC. Good idea, 'cept all my gear is new...

That's the only reason why I got Sirius. Now that he is free of the FCC (for the time being), his show will rock. Don't get on my case about Stern. He and I go back to the 70's when he was on WCCC, 'All Request Radio', back in Hartford. To me, he's like and old pair of jeans that you just can't throw out...
Howard Stern is 9 of the 10 top reasons why XM is better than Sirus! :p