Ray Slocomb, FjRay - Now on second honeymoon with Patti

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person just from his posts it's so sad to lose such a good person, there are so few in the world these days.

Just thinking of all the good folks I have know because of Ray. Rip my friend.
107893962_10158507219294628_896787936205076235_n.jpg

Many years ago when I first started lurking on this forum Ray was a Larger Than Life presence here. When I finally got to meet he and Patti at the first YFO they probably thought I was crazy, I was So Happy to meet them both. Pop and I were privileged to ride with them for two magical days while following Tyler through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Ray was everything I had hoped he would be.

For those of you who lived closer to Ray and who truly knew him as a Friend, I am so sorry for the loss or your friend. I am proud to have known him, however briefly.

Sad, sad news. Ray will not be forgotten. Humble, kind, always the first to offer assistance and an expert in most things mechanical. He had a heart of gold and a great sense of humor, always fun to talk to.

It turns out that Ray was working in a small garage/automotive shop on Topanga at Devonshire in Chatsworth when I bought Cragar wheels there around 1970 - 73. We might have been in the same room then, but I didn't meet Ray until 2006, when madmike2, Ray and I rode Hwy 96 from Yreka to Willow Creek. I only attended the first Reuben Run in 2012 and last saw him in 2017 in Mariposa for YFO. During that time, Ray was always the same friendly, kind and gentle giant, and I always enjoyed reading his posts here.

Rest in Peace, Ray; you made a difference for so many.

Damn, just damn, we have lost one of the great ones. I sit here in a Ruben Run tee shirt and think of all he did for our community.
Fuck, this hurts.
Prayers to his family and friends.
I know he is with Patty, breeze in their hair, riding with Don, Tim and all the the others......
Fuck.

My condolences to Ray's family and friends.
The FJR community will miss him greatly, as he was much loved and appreciated by all who knew him.

Attachments

• P1030597 (Medium).JPG
    P1030597 (Medium).JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P1030680 (Medium).JPG
    P1030680 (Medium).JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 16
  • P1040359 (Medium).JPG
    P1040359 (Medium).JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P1040371 (Medium).JPG
    P1040371 (Medium).JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 19
When I first joined this forum years ago after picking up a used FJR it didn't take very long to start noticing certain names came up really often with answers to questions, advice, and just general knowledge. It took even less time to narrow the field of just who you wanted to ask when you absolutely needed help or advice and didn't want to sift through smart ass comments so you just PM'd the right person and went straight to the source of FJR knowledge. Ray was definitely one of those sources.

In 2018 when Big John organized another Spearfish Roundup I knew I wanted to go. I wanted to ride to some states I'd never seen before and I wanted to actually shake hands and meet some of those folks who had so generously and often patiently answered my questions. Ray was definitely on that list. We made good time riding west from PA and I had to call Bell's Motor Lodge to see if we could check in a night earlier than planned which worked out just fine. When we arrived the only other bike in the lot at that point was a white Gold Wing. It didn't take long until Ray and Patti came out and Ray introduced himself. I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with him but I'm glad I spent what time I could.

God Speed Ray. You and Patti are now together again.

Leaving tomorrow w truck/trailer. The kids seem to be doing ok, given circumstances.

Will not try to make drive one shot.. Just not up for it. So Weed Ca then up 97 to La Pine.

Ray Junior is sleeping in shop to keep shit safe. Kamee is there too. And Sherlie, bless her, is the f@$king rock.

This one has hit me hard. Very hard.

Hope to make the passes before snow flies. This central Kali boy don't know how to install chains or drive in snow.