Ray Slocomb, FjRay - Now on second honeymoon with Patti

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to believe coming into this Forum & not seeing FJRAY on the members online list. What an incredible Icon here. A great guy who will be missed by so many!!!
I was fortunate to be able to ride to Reuben Run's 1 & 2 with my dogs Duke & Duchess, the most memorable trips of my life, thanks to Ray. (wish I could have attended them all!).
Rode with him at Mt St Helen's & with him and his dear departed wife Patti at SWFOG City Utah to Cedar breaks & Bryce Canyon. Now they ride with the Angels with BeemerDon showing them the way......

Video of our arrival at Harvest Depot LaPine & the fantastic party at Ray's place....

And video of that wonderful day in Utah....

Thanks Greg, made it through to Weed for the night. Gotta say night mountain driving with big ass trailer not nearly as much fun as motobike .

Hope to get my lazy ass up early to finish the 4 hours and get to helping the family..

There will be a Reuben Run 2022 - "The Last Hurrah". Details forthcoming, I am taking the lead.

If you are interested in helping/assisting please PM.

Looking at dates now, may try for Labor Day weekend to give folks an extra day to travel. I'll start a separate thread as things progress.

John

Long day today with 4 hour drive and 2 hours sleep. Took Ray Jr, Kami, and family friend Roger to lunch at Harvest Depot. Returned to shop and hung out all afternoon until dark-thirty. Think I found most of my parts for the ATK and Kz 1300.

Good news is the trust was fully in place prior to passing, and it's detailed. The 'kids' have assigned areas of responsibility and seem to understand at some point shit has just got to go.

It was very nice of Ray's kids to state 'You are family. We would like to see some of Dad's stuff go with you and still be used.' And of course for the higher dollar stuff, we dicker just like we should.

It is weird tho... No Ray sitting in the easy chair with that cat ate the bird Cheshire grin like he knows something you ain't found out yet.

I always told Ray he had to finish my moto's before he croaked. LOL, I'll send you pics later, it looks like a nuclear bomb went off on the ATK and took collateral damage on the KZ. Win to Ray. Cue the cat smile.

Last edited:
FJRay was one of those names that I could always count on seeing in posts and online every time I logged into the forum. So much so that I took it for granted that he would always be here. I didn't know Ray as well as I wanted. We met a few times here and there. Still, I knew him to be a kind, gentle man that never hesitated to lend a hand. He will be missed by many.

RIP Ray

There will be a Reuben Run 2022 - "The Last Hurrah". Details forthcoming, I am taking the lead.

If you are interested in helping/assisting please PM.

Looking at dates now, may try for Labor Day weekend to give folks an extra day to travel. I'll start a separate thread as things progress.

John
In!

I think I've had 6 hours sleep the last 3 nights. The kids are doing well to keep the 6 stages of grief understood and processed. Kinda weird to be the 'old guy' with 'experience' about loss and grieving.

On a up note, and this is weird beyond belief, but the pink slip for the 81 Kawi arrived today. We could not believe it, as it is way early, almost eerily early. Kammy and I both teared up at the coincidence.

Another up note, one buyer came in, a good friend of one of Ray's 'inner circle' friends and he bought and removed a ton of stuff that greatly relieves the family of dealing with onesie-twosies. And I won't say what the product was but if you know Ray you probably know what I'm talking about and JSNS.

Yet another up note, the weather has been holding. Tonight was full moon with cloudy skies. I leave Sat AM early to head home.

Safe to say the MPG will be less than the way up here.

~d

Well, crap.
Each year, when I go up to the PNW to visit the kids, I pass through LaPine and think “Next year I really must make time to have coffee with Ray.”

Requiescat In Pace, Ray.

When I got the call from Sherlie I was in Mexico with another week to go. My brain fuzzed over a bit with the news, we had just spoke not 10 days prior about a pristine 250 Honda Rebel that Ray was working on that a friend inherited when she lost her father. My wife Mel and I shed our tears and vowed to ensure there was a commemorative RR in 22.

Ray in no particular order; A gentle giant, self proclaimed technology "Luddite", honest to the core, old school with a skiff of new school, generous, opinionated while allowing yours as well, pet lover, Father, Husband, community member, road grader, snow clearer, collector, veteran, sounding board, rider, friend and now missed.

RIP Ray and give a hug to Patti from both of us.

JP and Mel

Thank you so much to everyone for your memories and kind words. My dad was an amazing person and there will never be another like him.

Dad passed Wednesday evening. He had dinner, fell asleep in his recliner and never woke up. I had breakfast with him on Tuesday and he seemed as fine as he could be with all the pain he was in. It was very sudden we still don't have a definitive answer as to what exactly happen.

Like Don Carver said, he and mom are in their second honeymoon. He just missed her too much.

If any help is needed in making the '22 RR, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I would very much like to be part of that.

Also if anyone is in Central oregon or close by, I'd love to go for a ride. Dad was the reason I rode.