Reaper Passes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I met John at EOM in 2004 as well. I thought his handle was very dark at the time. Then he was down in Key West with us in February 2005. Not sure if we crossed paths again but as people drop off the forum for a while you kind of wonder what happen too them. How are they doing? Well I guess I know now how John is doing.... Sad, very sad
His handle was derived from his work as a tax collector.

That right there is a lovely memorial... brought tears to my eyes.

I spent a lot if time with John. We met one day by chance at the Yanaha dealer in Olive Branch, MS. Little did I know, that would be the beginning of long, enduring friendship.

We made several rides together. We kicked it off in 2004 at the first EOM gathering. It was fairly exciting. He shared many "firsts" with me: my first time to scrape a peg, my first time to ride out west...my first speeding ticket on a bike, lol

We tackled a BBG together, 2009 I think, when we ride from his home in Southaven, MS to Sheridan, WY in right around 23 hours. Pretty good for an old fella surviving on nothing more than cigarettes and Mtn. Dew. I tell you, it really broke my heart to see his dusty FJR in his garage yesterday.

I spent the rest of the evening with his son, John IV, laughing and passing stories about his dad. It's uncanny how they are so much alike. From looks to mannerisms, he's his dad's son. He has his own FJR now too.

I shared a lot with John besides motorcycles. We both have an affinity for Colt 1911's. He and I was planning another trip to the range soon, as I just recently purchased my first Colt. Is it any wonder that he used this to let me know that he was once a competitive shooter? Every time we got together I learned a little bit more about him that, quite frankly, makes me question the value if my own contribution to society.

One of our differences, was that I'm probably a little more prideful. Only in his passing have have I learned that he was awarded the Bronze Star. I knew of his Purple Heart, but he never really let on that it was due to anything more than his loss of hearing in one ear. John's group drove over a land mine in Nam and he nearly died. He faced down the enemy, literally so close that they might have locked together hand-to-hand in another story shared by his son.

In a seedy motel in Rock Springs, WY I learned that he was a chopper pilot. The Army taught him to fly and he did it heroically. He saved numerous American lives and even survived being shot down!

He did indeed plan another trip out west with me, but I wasn't to enthused about the idea of trailering our bikes to New Mexico. When I turned it down, his son picked up the reigns. They met at his home in Southaven, but little Jihn said the trailer Jogn had aquired wasn't really up to the task of hauling two bikes. In mission oriented fashion, they saddled up and ride the distance on the bikes. Little John said my name came up often (he called me Ranger) when they covered numerous roads that he and I had been on before. My heart swelled when I heard this. One of Johns last requests is that his ashes be scattered in the route south of Gateway, CO. I feel that Johns final ride will be forthcoming this summer. I may request that little John let me tag along if he'll have me.

It would mean a lot if several of you that know Reaper could log a few kind words on his dad's memorial site:

https://www.memorialparkfuneralandcemetery.com/obituaries/John-Neece/

That right there is a lovely memorial... brought tears to my eyes.

I spent a lot if time with John. We met one day by chance at the Yanaha dealer in Olive Branch, MS. Little did I know, that would be the beginning of long, enduring friendship.
We made several rides together. We kicked it off in 2004 at the first EOM gathering. It was fairly exciting. He shared many "firsts" with me: my first time to scrape a peg, my first time to ride out west...my first speeding ticket on a bike, lol

We tackled a BBG together, 2009 I think, when we ride from his home in Southaven, MS to Sheridan, WY in right around 23 hours. Pretty good for an old fella surviving on nothing more than cigarettes and Mtn. Dew. I tell you, it really broke my heart to see his dusty FJR in his garage yesterday.

I spent the rest of the evening with his son, John IV, laughing and passing stories about his dad. It's uncanny how they are so much alike. From looks to mannerisms, he's his dad's son. He has his own FJR now too.

I shared a lot with John besides motorcycles. We both have an affinity for Colt 1911's. He and I was planning another trip to the range soon, as I just recently purchased my first Colt. Is it any wonder that he used this to let me know that he was once a competitive shooter? Every time we got together I learned a little bit more about him that, quite frankly, makes me question the value if my own contribution to society.

One of our differences, was that I'm probably a little more prideful. Only in his passing have have I learned that he was awarded the Bronze Star. I knew of his Purple Heart, but he never really let on that it was due to anything more than his loss of hearing in one ear. John's group drove over a land mine in Nam and he nearly died. He faced down the enemy, literally so close that they might have locked together hand-to-hand in another story shared by his son.

In a seedy motel in Rock Springs, WY I learned that he was a chopper pilot. The Army taught him to fly and he did it heroically. He saved numerous American lives and even survived being shot down!

He did indeed plan another trip out west with me, but I wasn't to enthused about the idea of trailering our bikes to New Mexico. When I turned it down, his son picked up the reigns. They met at his home in Southaven, but little Jihn said the trailer Jogn had aquired wasn't really up to the task of hauling two bikes. In mission oriented fashion, they saddled up and ride the distance on the bikes. Little John said my name came up often (he called me Ranger) when they covered numerous roads that he and I had been on before. My heart swelled when I heard this. One of Johns last requests is that his ashes be scattered in the route south of Gateway, CO. I feel that Johns final ride will be forthcoming this summer. I may request that little John let me tag along if he'll have me.

It would mean a lot if several of you that know Reaper could log a few kind words on his dad's memorial site:

https://www.memorialparkfuneralandcemetery.com/obituaries/John-Neece/
Same here.

I had the pleasure of getting to know John two years ago. He came up here with Stealth1 and we rode around in ID and MT for three days, with one of our goals to ride Lolo Pass. Unfortunately that pass was closed the day they arrived due to a wildfire. We had fun anyway on the "alternate routes".

After that John and I e mailed back and forth weekly.

RIP John.

Status
Not open for further replies.