Rear Brake Caliper Assembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everybody for all your great suggestions. I decided to do the easiest suggestion first. I cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner and immediately noticed the rear brake "grabbed" much better even just at the end of my driveway. I rode to a local empty parking lot that had a nice strip of sand and gravel on it. The ABS engaged easily. So: Problem solved. I am amazed at the difference that came with just cleaning the rotor!
If the rotors were greasy from handling then the pads are likely a bit contaminated as well. This will likely burn off after a few more hard stops and rear brakes will improve further (no need to remove and clean). I don't use a lot of rear brake either - I changed the rear pads for the first time at 135,000 km.

If the rotors were greasy from handling then the pads are likely a bit contaminated as well. This will likely burn off after a few more hard stops and rear brakes will improve further (no need to remove and clean). I don't use a lot of rear brake either - I changed the rear pads for the first time at 135,000 km.
RossKean,
You were correct, again! I took 15 minutes to remove the brake pads, hand-sand them with 80 grit sandpaper, then clean them with brake cleaner and re-install. The rear brakes are now 100%.
Thanks again to all for the very helpful suggestions.