• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Rear Brake Pedal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatAir4Me

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Good day,
Came into a turn a little hot yesterday and torched my rear brake pedal. Afraid to bend it back since we leave on a 15 day shortly....
Anyone?
Thanks!
JP

0806221845.jpg

Could probably fix with heat (propane torch) and a set of Vicegrips. Of course, you run the risk of it fracturing.
If you did crack or break it, a decent welder could probably fix you up pretty easily.

On second thought, if you know a decent welder, remove the pedal and take it to them - they'll know exactly what to do.

Looks like a bunch on eBay , or partzilla claims 2-3 day ship. 03-2021 all use same lever.

Could probably fix with heat (propane torch) and a set of Vicegrips. Of course, you run the risk of it fracturing.
If you did crack or break it, a decent welder could probably fix you up pretty easily.

On second thought, if you know a decent welder, remove the pedal and take it to them - they'll know exactly what to do.
I know a good welder but with a 17 day trip on the horizon and the vision of using a pair of vise grips as a brake lever I think I will hold since it does not show any sign of cracking. Once I have a spare in hand I will explore options but for now it is essentially cosmetic.
Thanks for the reply!
JP

Looks like a bunch on eBay , or partzilla claims 2-3 day ship. 03-2021 all use same lever.
Yep at just under a C-note I thought I would check in with the clan especially since we are holding the "Last Hurrah" at the end of the month and with 44 officially signed up I thought I would throw it out there. I found a decent one with the pivot for 55.00 used or I can bite the bullet at a Benjy for a new one.

I've bent a pedal back into shape in worse condition than that without heat. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Take the pedal off and clamp it in a vise just below the bend. Use a hefty crescent wrench and bend slowly. Should be fine.

Well I'm impressed. I've had Pandora down low enough to sharpen the edge of that pedal, and even dragged the exhaust mount once or twice, but I never managed to bend it like that! You are lucky you didn't lever the tires off the road.

As for straightening, it's not cast, not likely to snap. I'd remove it, put it in a vise and heat it to a dull glow at the bend. propane torch won't be hot enough -- maybe MAPP gas but ideally oxy-acetylene or an induction coil (eg: "Bolt Buster").

Then replace the curb feelers on the bottom of the pegs. Your's must be worn down to nothing.

As for straightening, it's not cast, not likely to snap. I'd remove it, put it in a vise and heat it to a dull glow at the bend. propane torch won't be hot enough -- maybe MAPP gas but ideally oxy-acetylene or an induction coil (eg: "Bolt Buster").
Pedal is aluminum alloy, not steel (and I think it may be cast). Dull glow heat would be too much, IMHO.

Put it in a vice and slip a boxed end wrench over the knurled end and hold light to med pressure on it while you warm it with the propane torch
As it heats up it will straighten
The key is gentle slow pressure, don’t rush it or use too much force