Rear shock rebuilds

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen a Gen I or any other OEM shock rebuilt. Best bet is to buy a Gen III OEM shock which has a lot stronger spring, or to go aftermarket. To be honest a rebuild would cost more than a new shock for $322. Partzilla

I looked into rebuilding the factory shock on 2005 three years ago to save money. After some research I ended up just getting the best deal I could find on an aftermarket shock. That ended being an Ohlins without the remote preload. Never regretted spending the $$ and got Zilla bucks to spend on other goodies.

There are shops capable of rebuilding the stock shock. Google is your friend. All that's needed is machining and installation of a Schrader valve for N2 recharge. I had the shock on my previous '06 rebuilt & resprung by Sasquatch Suspension some years ago. Don't remember the current name of his business...

~G

Harpo

RaceTech also offers to rebuild the “non-rebuildable” rear shock, by adding that schrader valve, and refreshing the internals. While they are in there you can, for a price, opt to have them install their Gold Valve shim stacks, and put a stiffer replacement spring on it. It will transform that OEM shock.

I have not done that yet for my bike. I opted to buy the 2016 OEM shock for 300 some odd dollars through PartZilla. This newer OEM shock is good enough for my needs. Yamaha has already put stiffer springs on it, and may have tuned the hydraulics for the Generation 3 FJR.

It’s only money.

Brodie
😁