Rear Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
I got my new to me rear shock today ( thanks Rogue ) and the question is should I go ahead and put the spring shim in or try it first. It is a 04-05 shock and I am certainly not a light weight person and I carry a lot of crap around with me. usefull sugestions would be helpfull.

For most the shim was for the 03' (lighter spring). What is the weight of you and your gear and do you ride 2 up?

and your welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the way back from Reno last year I stopped at some truck scales that show the weight and with me and my gear it showed 1075 lbs.

Warchild, what if I use one of the thicker shims and run it on soft and save the hard position for extra if needed??

On the way back from Reno last year I stopped at some truck scales that show the weight and with me and my gear it showed 1075 lbs.Warchild, what if I use one of the thicker shims and run it on soft and save the hard position for extra if needed??
If you ran it with one of the thicker shims such as the 1/4" shim, then IIRC you are forced to use the "soft" setting only.

To be candid with you... you really need a quality aftermarket shock, one that already has the proper spring for your weight installed on it, so that it you can had an appropriate amount of of adjustment left over for those times you need it.

Same for the forks... sounds like you need at least one of the meaty 1.05's spring rates up front, and even then, I bet you'll be cranking that pre-load down quite a bit.

If you are determined to stay with the OEM shock, I'd personally be putting in a 3/16" shim, and then see if you can get the lever to move over to the "Hard" setting, and be done with it.

I am with you on the aftermarket shock but with moving and my house in wash. hasn't sold yet this has to be a budget job.

I installed the 1/4 inch shim and it will go from hard to soft on the center stand with some effort so I will give it a try. If the cables screw up I stiil have the other set.

I have the 1.05 springs coming from TR and will install them with fresh oil up front. With any luck I will be good for the season and will be in better shap for toys next year

Ray, good on yuh (And Rogue) for replacing the '03 unit. It should get you another year, and as I said in the other thread, you've been doing this long enough to know the limitations of the setup you have.

We, er, uhm, portly gents must take more into account then some others. :D

+1 on Warchild's comments. Shim it with the small shim, and use the hard setting.

FYI, I have an '05 shock shimmed with 3/8th shim for sale if anyone needs one.

Yep, this is my winter project also. :)

Glad I am not the only bottom feeder light on funds.

The plan:

2nd hand Racetech Springs (.95). (sag too soft for 1st owner at installation).

Plus a barely used '05 OE shock to be shimmed 3/16". (replacing an OE '03 w/ shim)

Grand total for springs, shock, shipping costs, fork oil, shim installation = $185.

I am hoping this will be the biggest bang for the buck suspension mod out there.

I am hoping for less peg scraping with this set up.

It surely isn't a full boat $1400 upgrade, but it will do until used Wilbers, Penskes and Ohlins start showing up for sale. ;)

At 43K miles on my 2006 my rear shock started to leak. The original part number is 1050.00 so kind of spendy. The new part number is 1MC-22210-50-00 and was 491.00 for the complete assembly at Moto Sport so I ordered it. It is for a 2013 up to about 2018. I installed it last night in 1.5 hours and was a direct bolt in replacement if you don't want to go aftermarket.