Reasonable daily mileage for cross country trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrustyKola

Reaction score
I am going to take trip cross country this summer and wanted to get some ideas from the forum what is a good target for a day’s travel with the idea of doing it day after day for two weeks plus. I understand there are variables like weather, traffic etc. and personal limits. I just would like to hear what the range might be. I am thinking around 550 to 600 a day, with some days out west lower to see some of the scenic roads.

It depends if you just want to travel, or sightsee along the way. I'm into getting places, so I'd be pushing for at least 800 myself. YMMV

Last Father's day I left at 6:00 a.m. and went through Yosemite, up to Reno, had a nice visit and lunch with my dad, then back over Sonora Pass, coffee with Skyway, and home by 9:00 p.m. 600 miles, lots of scenic roads, 15 hours total.

I've ridden with groups that set 300 miles as a max per day. I was bonkers by the end of the trip. Lots of stops and long down time at nearly every gas station (seen one, you've seen them all) and then wrapped up riding well before dark each day (plenty of riding time left instead of hanging out looking at 4 walls).

When not in "rally mode", I like to ride until I'm "done" for the day. As such, when I try to make reservations, I often find myself cancelling them because I'm not ready to quit riding when I arrive where the reservations were made. I've had some 250 mile days but I more often see those 600 to 800 mile days (more miles when slabbing it, of course). I tend to leave around 6 or 7 am and ride until at least 10:30pm. After all, I'm on a riding trip so might as well be riding.

Being in "rally mode" means all bets are off; distance is the goal. Plan on 800 to 1200 mile days and ride until I have to stop. After all, a typical day at home is 8 to 9 hours of work and about 5 hours of sleep. That means there's another 9 hours spent on various things during a typical day that would be available for riding. 18 hours a day riding would mean a normal sleep pattern in my case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like 5 - 600 miles for a relaxed day. Allows for photo ops, breaks and such, while still putting miles behind you.

550 to 600 makes for a nice day of riding. Some places that would make a very short day, some a very long day. But I think that's a good "touring" distance to expect. Still have a little time to stop and briefly check out some sights and enjoy the ride.

After doing a couple iron butt runs, 600 miles seems like a walk in the park. And on an FJR, it's WAY easy.

I am going to take trip cross country this summer and wanted to get some ideas from the forum what is a good target for a day’s travel with the idea of doing it day after day for two weeks plus. I understand there are variables like weather, traffic etc. and personal limits. I just would like to hear what the range might be. I am thinking around 550 to 600 a day, with some days out west lower to see some of the scenic roads.
I'm riding to Daytona in March and will hope for a high daily average mileage. But, it will be the 1st shakedowm ride for the new FJR, so I'm prepared to stop to correct, tweak, eliminate distractions, etc.

My goal is to get the bike to fit me and to get used to the setup.

Take the trip and learn your own riding style. Learn your own signals for distraction, fatigue. If you can, take a few long day rides to list what bugs you about the bike and correct it. Set your goal and be flexible about it. You may be overly optimistic :huh: or, pessimistic ;)

I represent the other end of the spectrum, that being the Candy Butt Association mentality for riding. Some of the BEST days I've only travelled 200 - 300 miles yet spent 8 - 12 hours in the saddle. I like to go slower, find the tiny little backroads that go to no-where.. then disover the little tavern/eatery that's not on the map, have a nice long stay, talk with locals, get invited over their house for a bbq / party... screw the hours at high speed just to feel the wind in your face. To me, riding is about people and places. In the proper ratio of course. Some days you may need to put in long high speed marathons to get there.. and that's cool too. But for a preferable ride, have no destination, have every reason to stop. Every town, burg or village has a story to tell if you are willing to take time and listen, not just blow through at 80. Signed, CBA member #1 (we have more fun). :)

Edit - BTW, great post, FNG!

Every town, burg or village has a story to tell if you are willing to take time and listen, not just blow through at 80.
(seen one, you've seen them all)
Some of us don't have two weeks to get cross-country. Radar Love
OK, then don't go X-country! Spend the time closer to the house. This summer was in the top 5 of my best riding seasons, and I barely broke into the southern border of Oregon.. .(for those that don't know, I live in the central coast of CA). For the first time, I was able to truly ride without a destination. No pressure to maintain a schedule, no hotels to be at by x:eek:'clock... I even found myself BACKTRACKING because the ride/road was soo good and I wanted to explore the museum I had 'blown' past to make good time. This, for me, was truly good. For you, maybe not. For me, I like the slower, smell the posey pace. I know, I'm not in vouge with this IBA oriented forum.. but I offer no apologies or quarter either. Don't get me wrong; I've done the unoffical >1k/24 on the Beemers and Harleys.. but didn't really find it 'fun' or 'relaxing'. To get somewhere when it had to be, yes.. but relaxing? Sorry, not for me. Isn't that what makes the world go round? Differences? And as far as 'seen one, seen them all?'.. I guess some would say the same about the opposite sex.. but ain't that wrong! :lol:

Going to WFO5 this year was mostly 500-600 mile days, we had to do it that way because my riding buddy doesn't do well after dark. I would've preferred a few 800 mile days & then a few 2-300 mile days but it didn't work out that way. There were times I thought 'gee I could ride for another 4-5 hours' ... Total trip was 6900 miles.

At the end of our ride it seemed like we spent almost all of our time in the saddle, when I would've really liked some more time to explore the Kali coast it just didn't work out that way. We ended up taking two days off but would've appreciated a few more. My advice ? Push like hell, then appreciate the non-saddle time. YMMV, FWIW, etc

Yep. That's me. I'd rather have more time at (where ever) than burn it up at yet another gas station or cookie cutter motel room along the way.

That should be easily done on this bike.

I listed out the daily mileage on my 14 day trip from Massachusetts to EOM a couple of years ago

September 2005 EOM

Yesterday I only got to do 366 miles to the Catskills and back. That was riding sunrise to sunset. This weather is unreal, riding ski country in December! B)

We are all so different in how long we like to sit on the bike at a stretch and how long and how often we like to rest that I am not surprised at the variety of responses. Personally, I don't like to plan for stops and don't reserve in advance. I like to have the freedom to change my route and sometimes even my destination as the whim strikes. If you don't feel compelled to reach some predetermined stop for the night it is easier to just call it a day when you get tired, or ride a few more miles if you are enjoying the ride.

I agree with Bounce in that I would rather be riding than sitting in a hotel or campsite when it is still daylight. Seven or eight hundred miles would be a reasonable daily average if I don't spend time at points of interest.

Edit: The above is assuming riding solo. With a pillion you are restricting the room you have to move around on the seat so you probably need to stretch a bit more often. And, you have to keep your pillion happy so you don't want to push beyond his/her limits.

We members of the Candy Ass Club use MS S&T for journeys to the supermarket. Your mileage may vary.

I find time more than miles to be the factor I use. Like to get going by 0700 and be off the road about 1600. Most of the time I make advanced reservations at the places I plan to stay. That way if I see something interesting I have no worrys about stopping and spending some "extra" time.

Longrider

Great info on mileage and the ride mindset as well. It is interesting to see how many different approaches there is to a trip.

I am going to go over Mr. Bills trip from 05 as I recognized some roads others had praised already. Roughly using Rt 66 out and 50 back but acknowledge that a lot of it will have to be interstate but what are you going to do. Thanks

Only you will know what your "Ideal" day/ mileage will be and it may take a couple of trips to figure it out. What's your longest day/mileage been to this point? Do a long weekend 500-1000 in three days and see what you think. If your biggest trip so far has been 100-200 miles planning on knocking out 500+ several days in a row might just be setting your self up for major disapointment. Leave your self some room to compromize Do you like riding in the rain? or high or low temp's (90+ degree days will shorten my day) If you have to make time 500+ miles on the interstate doing gas and go's will slide by quickly but through in lunch and some sightseeing or rain or temps and it becomes a long day. You don't have to leave pre-dawn but getting an early 6-7AM start will let you bank some hours latter in the day.

I prefer secondary roads to dodging trucks and sucking fumes but thats just me, and as long as you stay sub-sonic ;) you can make pretty decent time.

I usually plan most rides with 300mi as the goal. Sometimes I will do twice that just so I can get to a place where I can slow down again. Sometimes I will do half that just so I have time to stop and smell the roses. I usually like to camp as I go and I like to get to a campsite b/4 dark to set up. Don't be too ridged on your miles. Leave enough time in your trip so can just do what feels good. Just remember it is all about the ride not the destination and you will have more fun.