Reasonable daily mileage for cross country trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has their personal preferences. Here's mine. I wake up when i wake up, no alarms or wakeup calls. A big hearty breakfast, then ride til lunch time. The afternoon ride will last to anywhere between 5 & 7, depending on weather and surrounding countryside. Night time driving is not in the cards for me and I don't plan anything in advance so I'll start thinking about a room while having a light supper. 12 to 15 hours is a nice day in the saddle. Fuel stops are a nice break between meals and leaving the schedule open and very flexible has meant meeting some very good people along the way. While driving though, I keep myself moving ahead of most traffic and will do 700 to 1000 miles on most days. (that's riding solo of course)

My wife and I usually tour together, 870 was the most, and we were ready to go the next morning. Last year we did a little over 600 in a mostly driving rain, we were really physically spent. Best advice on a long tour is let the spirit move you. A long day then a short one is what we do if on a long ride. I'm retired, so no pressing time issues anymore, except the wifes.

700 to 800 my first day out, also my last day out.... 500ish each day during the trip depending on where I am going of course.

Crossing the country, I used 500 as par. Made more some days, less some. Up and down the eastern twisties usually less but at least 400 most of the time. Of course, its really hours and it depends on the weather and the scenery. I love to stop at little backroad stores for a break or stop to look at unusual stuff I come across. The longest day I've done is about 650, which I've done three times. All three, I was past ready to get off before I was done but all three were also the last leg home so the extra 150-200 was easier to swallow. I generally travel with only a loose route in mind and like to try out roads I've never seen or heard of before, just to see what's there.

In the summer, I try to hit the road just after daybreak to get some miles in before it gets too hot - 300 before lunch always feels good. I like a leisurely restorative lunch break but watch for foods that make you drowsy if you're out in the flatlands. Once it gets hot, I'll stop every 90-120 minutes for fluids and a minute out of the gear. But If I'm exploring backroads, I'm flexible on that and generally stop when I encounter something interesting to look at.

I try not to set miles as a goal. I'm out there to experience the world around me from the saddle of a fun comfortable bike, not spin the odometer. If its not fun, why do it? But I rarely completely ignore the odo. Funny, though. The less I look at it, the faster it goes.

I'm on the dcarver and exskibum side of the ride. When Marianne is alsong, she doesn't like long days or the slab on the bike and we tend to stop more and likely are done at 300-400 miles. Alone I may ride 400 -600 miles but I'm inclined to enjoy the journey and look for scenic windy roads. Frankly, I don't much enjoy slab riding sucking up diesel exhaust and wondering when the next dickhead is going to wander into my lane.

I'm on the dcarver and exskibum side of the ride.
As am I. I'm not a big fan of just burning mileage. But I could head down a scenic twisting road for 15 hours and love every second of it. The slab beats me up and it becomes a mind over matter thing, which I dont enjoy.

I'm on the dcarver and exskibum side of the ride.
As am I. I'm not a big fan of just burning mileage. But I could head down a scenic twisting road for 15 hours and love every second of it. The slab beats me up and it becomes a mind over matter thing, which I dont enjoy.
Me too. Only time I use the slab is if there is a weekend ride -say to Smitty's- that I would otherwise not be able to attend if I didn't slab back. When I take a big cross-country trip, I might do that to enable me to see places (say Canadian Rockies...or Newfoundland or Nova Scotia) that I might not be able to reach without using slab to get me there more quickly.

Riding on the slab is definitely a last resort thing for me. It definitely becomes an endurance issue for me as I try to find the good in it to keep my spirits up. I much rather would take state routes or old US routes to travel.

I've always been told, and it's also my expierence, that LD riding on a bike you average about 55mph, including gas/food/gear swaps. Figure out how much time you'd like to spend aboard the bike and that'll give you a good idea how long you'll be out. I.E. 8 hours gets you about 450ish miles down the road. I know I've done more milage in less time, but I paid for it the next day. (CO Springs to Phoenix, AZ- 900 miles in 11 hours on a Shadow 750 curiser) This rule of thumb has served me well thus far. If I get ahead, well, good for me, and it's pretty damed hard to fall behind, unforseen circumstances nonwithstanding.

Latest posts