Recommended Summer Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock655

Reaction score
I've performed some quick searches of the forum and have been unable to find recommendations or commentary on the use of specific gloves. I know that the fit and type of gloves will probably vary widely depending on the individual but wanted to take a quick survey to find out if there are any consistent recommendations out there. My reasons for asking is that I've recently started using the Cortech Accelerator Series 2 gloves to match the airflow and look of my Tourmaster Intake Air jacket but have found that the stitch seams along the right-hand thumb causes uncomfortable pressure during riding due to the movement/position of the throttle. After just a few miles of riding on my FJR only (the gloves work well with my other bikes), I experience cramping and muscle spasms of my right thumb. I do not have this problem when wearing much older simple leather "cruiser" style gloves. If anyone out there has had a similar experience with the stitch seams being a problem for a particular type of glove, or how the stitch seams are not a problem, I would be most interested in hearing it. I'd like to order something more comfortable but still ideal for summer long distance riding and if it was durable in the rain, it would be an added bonus. If the gloves aren't ideal for the rain but are well ventilated and provide good protection, I'm still willing to consider them...

With that said, I'm interested to hear any opinions and recommendations of anyone out there in regard to the gloves they are wearing and are most happy with.

Get what fits and is comfortable. Try em out in the store awhile. Check out the aftermarket handlebar and grips section so you can get a feel on how they sit on your hand in riding position.

Generally (there are exceptions), the more air it flows, the less protection if offers to rain and pain. I have 3 sets I rotate depending on weather. Dainese Air-Flux for real hot, A* SP3 leather for moderate, and some waterproof textiles for cold ( can't recall the brand). I like the SP3's since they work well with my Motoport's and my 'Stitch. Short gauntlets inside on the Kevlar and outside on the 'Stitch.

Fit and comfort should come AFTER protection. Many of these "summer" gloves offer very poor protection.

and can be peeled off if you go down. With no gauntlet or secondary strap or securing mechanism, the asphalt can easily rip them off your hands. And when your gloves come off, the asphalt can get to work with the real "degloving".

I'd recommend forgetting about the "summer" crap, and just get some exceptional quality, leather gauntlet gloves, with knuckle and palm protection. Held and Racer make some great products. So your freaking hands are hot!

Hands are worth protecting. You've only got two of them. Sorry for the rant, but I just went glove shopping and some of the garbage posing as protective gear...well, it sort of put me in a foul mood.

And I'll not even start on those dumbass looking fingerless gloves. Why not just wear a condom with both ends open? You know. For comfort.

All done.

If it's gonna rain

I want my winter gloves waterproof to keep my hands dry

In summer I want my gloves ventilated, and getting wet in 100+ degrees can be a welcome thing

I have mostly First Gear textile stuff and am a fan of their Mesh Tex 2 and Mesh Sport armored gloves

hope this helps

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I wear Teknic Speedstars (my review) and I really like them. They are a great value for the price, and even have palm sliders, which you typically won't find on gloves under $200, let alone $100.

I tried the Motoport kevlar gloves and returned them (my review). They lack the impact protection I expect from motorcycle gloves. The kevlar is a nice material for abrasion protection. The gloves aren't as well made as the other Motoport products, and the sizing can be difficult. Wayne does not make or assemble these himself so perhaps I just got two bad pair from wherever he has them made. The gloves don't fit well out of the box; for example the fingers aren't pre-curved like you would expect on other motorcycle gloves.

I wear Teknic Speedstars (my review) and I really like them. They are a great value for the price, and even have palm sliders, which you typically won't find on gloves under $200, let alone $100.
Hey, good blog bud!

That being said, theirs a pic of you (I believe - "still a little damp") wearing your helmet - with the amount your spending on gear, and how 'picky' you are about it, you really need to spend the money on a decent fitting helmet. In the pic, and it may just be the pic, but it looks like you have about a quarter inch of play all the way around. It looks like it would beat you to pieces in any kind of buffetting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have lots of gloves in my closet but anytime the temp is above 60 I always wear my Joe Rocket Phoenix gloves.

I've worn them so much that I may have to buy another fresh pair.

They are a combination of leather and fabric with hard armor on the knuckles.

They are cool in hot weather and will dry out quickly after getting rain soaked.

They look like they would provide pretty god protection but I have never tested them that way.

Extremely comfortable. :D

Just ma 2 Cents...

Did you even consider buying BMW gloves? They make very high quality gloves for many applications. I choose the ProSummer for around 110US$ (here in Europe). They are made of goat leather with Goretex liner. They are soft and quite cool and you don't even notice the liner which is glued in place. I can certify that they are 100% waterproof, having ridden them in torrential rain for 6 hours at steady speeds of 85-90 Mph.

But I don't know if BMW sells gear in the us.

Hey, good blog bud!
That being said, theirs a pic of you (I believe - "still a little damp") wearing your helmet - with the amount your spending on gear, and how 'picky' you are about it, you really need to spend the money on a decent fitting helmet. In the pic, and it may just be the pic, but it looks like you have about a quarter inch of play all the way around. It looks like it would beat you to pieces in any kind of buffetting.
Thank you for the compliments! I enjoy writing.

I am totally open to suggestions about helmet fit. I try to err on the side of "too tight" instead of "too loose." However, it's totally possible that the helmet is snug on my forehead but too loose on the rest of my face. I saw a Web site with examples of the different head shapes, but now I can't seem to find it.

Just rode from Virginia to Savannah, GA yesterday, and I had a "hot spot" on my forehead. Maybe it's time to look into another helmet.

Thanks again!

I wear a pair of Icon perforated leather gloves. The only thing that I don't like? No gauntlet. They are shorty gloves. After I saw what a 60 mph get-off did to my held gloves, I decided nothing but leather on the hands. They are fairly protective & move air fairly well, too.