Recovered Paraplegic back in the Saddle after 25 year sabbatical

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurvivorGuy

Reaction score
Hello Fellow FJ Enthusiasts

25 years ago I survived going off a 75' Cliff above Boulder Colorado. I was paralyzed from the waist down and diagnosed to never walk again. Two plus years full-time in a wheelchair, several years on leg braces, and many more years on arm crutches.
After many years of hard work and determination, I fully regained my mobility

Over the past ten years, I have been riding my 1999 Grizzly 600 a 2015 Can-Am Maveric, and 2016 Can-Am Spyder which I bought and immediately sold cause it felt like riding a Snowmobile on the street!

I recently turned 50 and decided I wanted back on two wheels. I had always been an FJ fan so the choice was easy. Plus, from the spinal cord injury, my left ankle is still paralyzed with no function so the Auto was a PERFECT fit for me.

Been riding for a month now and Love it! I plan on keeping it and am looking for mechanical advice and hopefully making some new friends to ride with..

Attached are a few pic's of the bike I wrecked and the toys I have owned since

Cheers
Markus

Attachments

• Bike-2.jpg
    Bike-2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • Bike-1.jpg
    Bike-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • Bike-3.jpg
    Bike-3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • harrington.jpg
    harrington.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 132870_1393650896330_1683902237_770016_7661808_o.jpg
    132870_1393650896330_1683902237_770016_7661808_o.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC01558.JPG
    DSC01558.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 20201227_150730_HDR.jpg
    20201227_150730_HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0946.JPG
    DSCN0946.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on your new ride. A power saw accident in 87 left me with little to no use of my left hand which stopped me from riding until I found my way to the AE in 2009. Great machine and great people here. Enjoy! (y)

Good for you, Markus, and welcome. But ya gotta call it an FJR. That FJ's been gone a long time. Fill in the "location" on your profile. Easier to find folks to ride with that way.
Yo Sacramento Mike. I relocated to AZ from Nevada City, I also lived in Granite Bay for ten years. yes, I stand corrected, we ride FJR's but for me, what we ride today is from the excellent lineage of the FJ. I filled in my locations, thanks for the heads up..

Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on your new ride. A power saw accident in 87 left me with little to no use of my left hand which stopped me from riding until I found my way to the AE in 2009. Great machine and great people here. Enjoy! (y)
Yo Fastpappy, Thanks for the kind welcome. Man oh Man, a power saw accident sounds like a very intense injury to experience. Looks like the AE is doing us both justice.. Congrats on getting back in the saddle..It has been said...In life challenges are inevitable, defeat is optional! Good on ya pappy!

Hello Fellow FJ Enthusiasts

25 years ago I survived going off a 75' Cliff above Boulder Colorado. I was paralyzed from the waist down and diagnosed to never walk again. Two plus years full-time in a wheelchair, several years on leg braces, and many more years on arm crutches.
After many years of hard work and determination, I fully regained my mobility

Over the past ten years, I have been riding my 1999 Grizzly 600 a 2015 Can-Am Maveric, and 2016 Can-Am Spyder which I bought and immediately sold cause it felt like riding a Snowmobile on the street!

I recently turned 50 and decided I wanted back on two wheels. I had always been an FJ fan so the choice was easy. Plus, from the spinal cord injury, my left ankle is still paralyzed with no function so the Auto was a PERFECT fit for me.

Been riding for a month now and Love it! I plan on keeping it and am looking for mechanical advice and hopefully making some new friends to ride with..

Attached are a few pic's of the bike I wrecked and the toys I have owned since

Cheers
Markus
Years ago I also had an accident where they put me back together like Humpty Dumpty & it took 3 & 1/2 years to get back to normal so I say CONGRATS to you as to do what you have done & to come from where you were at is quite an accomplishment - I wish you the very best.

Yo Fastpappy, Thanks for the kind welcome. Man oh Man, a power saw accident sounds like a very intense injury to experience. Looks like the AE is doing us both justice.. Congrats on getting back in the saddle..It has been said...In life challenges are inevitable, defeat is optional! Good on ya pappy!
Amputated the top half of the left hand, all 5 fingers. 5 doctors 13 hours of microsurgery at Bellevue hospital NY to reattach. Couldn't save the index finger and the middle of the thumb so the top of the thumb is attached to the base. Went through the knuckles so they are fused. 2 years of physical therapy to be able to touch the tips of the fingers to the tip of the thumb. Yeah love that AE.😁

Amputated the top half of the left hand, all 5 fingers. 5 doctors 13 hours of microsurgery at Bellevue hospital NY to reattach. Couldn't save the index finger and the middle of the thumb so the top of the thumb is attached to the base. Went through the knuckles so they are fused. 2 years of physical therapy to be able to touch the tips of the fingers to the tip of the thumb. Yeah love that AE.😁
Oh man, that sounds horrible, sorry that happened. Was it a Bandsaw? It's been said...In life challenges are inevitable, deaf is optional..Yeah! Cheers to the AE!

Oh man, that sounds horrible, sorry that happened. Was it a Bandsaw? It's been said...In life challenges are inevitable, deaf is optional..Yeah! Cheers to the AE!
It was a Power Miter. 10 inch blade. I was doing a side job installing some Crown Mouldings. Was a split second that changed my life.:confused:

It was a Power Miter. 10 inch blade. I was doing a side job installing some Crown Mouldings. Was a split second that changed my life.:confused:
Ouch! I totally understand..One corner to fast completely changed my entire existence. Lucky to work my way out of the wheel chair but my body was nearly destroyed. Sucks as we only get one body. Every day I have to look at the blessings in my life to stay positive..

What an amazing will power and recovery - well done! I wish you the best, and many hours on the FJR of yours!

Ouch! I totally understand..One corner to fast completely changed my entire existence. Lucky to work my way out of the wheel chair but my body was nearly destroyed. Sucks as we only get one body. Every day I have to look at the blessings in my life to stay positive..
Absolutely! Just consider the alternative. Every day on this side of the grass is a plus. :LOL:

I'm particularly fond of how it was expressed in the opening of The Revenant: "But you don’t give up. You hear me? As long as you can still grab a breath, you fight. You breathe… keep breathing.”
Yo Toecutter: I find your words and post very indicative in regards to the day of my epic accident. In an attempt to dodge some gravel on a sweeper, I went off the road, when I reengaged the road again it was like hitting a ramp. I vividly recall looking down at the guard railing as I was catapulted over the road to then be looking down at the tops of trees as I was flying off a 70'plus cliff. I remember thinking how bummed I was that I was seeing the last day of my life. The next thing I recall was regaining consciousness face down in the water. Some trees slowed me down and I ricocheted into a creek. Due to the spinal cord injury, I could not get out of the creek I was broken in half face down in, so I would lift my head/helmet out of the water grab a breath of air and rest my head back in the water. I repeated this action countless times before I was rescued.. I could still breathe, I kept fighting and I didn't give up..Today I live to tell the tale.