Reduce the Grand Staircase of Utah?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurock

Reaction score
I was having lunch and reading the newspaper when I came upon the article that I'm linking here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/us/bears-ears-utah-monument.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fus&action=click&contentCollection=us&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

The part that astounded me the most was this section.

The people briefed on the plans said that along with Bears Ears, Mr. Zinke had proposed reducing the size of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, also in southern Utah, and two others.

I don't know much about Bear Ears or others, but I've spent time riding the Grand Staircase on several occasions and it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever ridden. At what point is enough enough?

When anyone who reads my thread asks why did I write it, I just want them to think about the beauty of Utah before they next vote.

FWIW, nearly 1/3 of the land in the U.S. Is under the

control of the federal gov't.

I think that's enough.

There are people everywhere that would sell their own mother for a profit. I refrained from comment as to Bear Ears, because I don't know it as well. I've spent a good deal of time in the Escalante/Grand Staircase area and anything that would allow any part of that area to be defaced, by mining or any other means is an offense to god IMHO. The entire area of the Escalante/Grand Staircase Monument has only a tiny number of people living in it and most of them are connected to the tourism industry. I'm sure that they don't want this change. However many other Utah residents who live far from this area only care about increases in state revenue and not protecting nature. Utah state government leaves a lot to be desired. If any of you are in doubt of that spend fifteen minutes doing a google search of Utah and vitamin supplements. Utah is the home for the bulk of the Vitamin Supplement industry due to the fact that they managed to "convince".the state legislature to pass laws that are incredibly favorable to their industry. Further sometimes people call Senator Hatch from Utah "The Senator from the Vitamin Supplement Industry".

Home Rule and governing local are fine ideas, but there are certain times and things that are too important for a few to decide for the country. For example only the United States Government can declare war on another country. Selling off our national heritage to mining companies is not a local issue IMHO. At least if you think it's OK to remove protection from one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen either go and look at it or at least use google earth and check it out before it's destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.