Reflectors for side cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a set of these for the side cases, wondering who has put them on their FJR and what your thoughts were. Easy to put on? Do they hold up in the sun, stop reflecting after a couple years of the sun beating on them? I'll be riding mine to work a lot so it will get a lot of exposure to the sun. How well do they stay on? Is this a good place to buy them or do you recommend someplace else?

Thanks for your thoughts.

https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=2711

I know a lot of folks have them, Dwayne is a great guy. And he's probably about a 4 hr ride if you want to go and pick them up

Another source is Real Time Industries he has been supplying kits for years.

No, they don't fade over time. Yes, they are easy to put on. I have never read any post that mentioned that they fall off. My set has been on for years and shows no sign of peeling or fading -- as long as I keep them clean and dirt free.

I've just had mine on for a year of so. Absolutly love them. When you hit those things with bright light they really stand out. I feel better about people driving behind me after dark. I'm a lot easier to see at night now. Mine are showing no signs of even begining to come off or deteriorate.

GP

Another source is Real Time Industries he has been supplying kits for years.

No, they don't fade over time. Yes, they are easy to put on. I have never read any post that mentioned that they fall off. My set has been on for years and shows no sign of peeling or fading -- as long as I keep them clean and dirt free.

Real Time is where I bought mine from.

They are easy to deal, took a couple of weeks by snail mail.

Had them on my 2005 for 6yrs with no problems.

Easy to apply but you need to take your time.

I have a full set ready to put on my 2012 as soon as it warms up.

They're not like normal reflectors. They are some kind of 3M tape. Once they're on they're on. Even if they get covered with dirt, that's just the outside and it'll wash off.

I've had mine on since 2007 and they're awesome.

they are awsome! I got mine from Realtime 2years ago. Get the side stripes at the same time. I light up like a road sign at night now and during the day you can barely see them. Apply them with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle and you'll have time to get the bubbles out before they stick forever.

-worney

Thinking about getting a set of these for the side cases, wondering who has put them on their FJR and what your thoughts were. Easy to put on? Do they hold up in the sun, stop reflecting after a couple years of the sun beating on them? I'll be riding mine to work a lot so it will get a lot of exposure to the sun. How well do they stay on? Is this a good place to buy them or do you recommend someplace else?

Thanks for your thoughts.

https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=2711
Just put a set on my bike, easy install and reflect like crazy. PCA is one of the better vendors I've worked with. Shirley, the store manager, handles all problems (if there are any) personally and ALWAYS to my satisfaction. Too bad I had to move from Cleveland to SC to find them. They're worth the bookmark. ~Harvey

I've got a set of real time decals. Easy peasy. Held up great for about a year thus far.

IMG_4287medium.jpg

But the one I'm really proud of is the one I just made.

CIMG0713.jpg

If ya promise not to laugh at my pinstriping skills, you can check it out on this thread: CLICKY

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a set of real time decals. Easy peasy. Held up great for about a year thus far.

IMG_4287medium.jpg

But the one I'm really proud of is the one I just made.

CIMG0713.jpg

If ya promise not to laugh at my pinstriping skills, you can check it out on this thread: CLICKY

Gary

darksider #44
Garyahouse, thanks for posting those pictures, very helpful. I really like the fact they don't look like reflectors at all during the day and the logos are a nice low profile touch.

Side question for you on your Sissybar. Is it easy to remove and put back on? 98% of my riding will be one up and I'm looking for something that's easy install and removal for the kids when they want to go for a ride & maybe even my wife.

And there was no laughing, very nice job on the windshield.

I would gladly take the plastic reflector off and cover the whole side bag, but haven't been able to find anything for the bottom part of the bags. Any suggestions?

I would gladly take the plastic reflector off and cover the whole side bag, but haven't been able to find anything for the bottom part of the bags. Any suggestions?
in my internet search for decals 2 years ago I came across people who were selling sheets of the 3M stuff that you cut yourself (it seemed beyond my capabilities). I bet that they are still available online if you look around. Could be this one? or this one? can't find it now... :(

I bought these ones and these ones. :D I would like to say that there is no way anyone can miss me know but I think that we all have too much experience to say that don't we?? :angry2:

For the rest of the thread...............

As for backrests/sissy bars... My bike's PO mounted one of these and while I have never ridden with it on, I kept it for the same reasons you used but my kids are still too young, although I may mount it this summer to use it as a lashing point for a duffel on the pillion. It comes off as fast as you can spin off 3 allen bolts and leaves only the unobtrusive black plate on the luggage rack.

Hope that this helps.

-worney

in my internet search for decals 2 years ago I came across people who were selling sheets of the 3M stuff that you cut yourself (it seemed beyond my capabilities). I bet that they are still available online if you look around. Could be this one? or this one? can't find it now... :( -worney
Yeah, it does look like the DIY job. Thanks.

IMG_4287medium.jpg

Gary

darksider #44
Side question for you on your Sissybar. Is it easy to remove and put back on? 98% of my riding will be one up and I'm looking for something that's easy install and removal for the kids when they want to go for a ride & maybe even my wife.
Here's the link for the seat (CLICKY)... mine is an older model, but the backrest comes off of mine in about 2 minutes with a single allen headed screw. I leave it on because it's so convenient to tie stuff to it.

Gary

darksider #44

IMG_4287medium.jpg

Gary

darksider #44
Here's the link for the seat (CLICKY)... mine is an older model, but the backrest comes off of mine in about 2 minutes with a single allen headed screw. I pop the seat off, flip it over, loosen the screw, and off it comes. I leave it on because it's so convenient to tie stuff to it. I've seen several aftermarket seats for sale in the classifieds on this forum in the last year.

Gary

darksider #44