refrigerators

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
I've finally given up on the POS Samsung we bought . 4 ice makers and having to thaw it out every month for four years sucks.

The question is if you were buying new what would you buy or have you bought that has been trouble free. I could care less about a ice maker and water but my bride thinks otherwise.

Not all that impressed with my Whirlpool Model WRF535SMBM00. It's a French door style and the left door does not always close unless you give it a good shove. After about 4-5 months of ownership, I had to shim that door and it worked for a bit, but now the issue is back.

Appliances suck these days, your lucky to get 4-5 years out of one. The fridge my dad has when he bought his current house in 1989 is still kicking ass.

I hear you Ray! I had a 1995 Amana and replaced it two or three years ago with a Samjunk and after the first year have had to pull the ice maker out before the ucker froze itself in once a month and blow dry, fill with hot rags, whatever for the last two years, just did it yesterday! I am getting ready to try a fix I found online via a TSB but perhaps you have already tried it. I think I have your email I will email it to you.

When can I bring you my Katana?

JP

Not all that impressed with my Whirlpool Model WRF535SMBM00. It's a French door style and the left door does not always close unless you give it a good shove. After about 4-5 months of ownership, I had to shim that door and it worked for a bit, but now the issue is back.

Appliances suck these days, your lucky to get 4-5 years out of one. The fridge my dad has when he bought his current house in 1989 is still kicking ass.
The Philco refer in my shop was purchased in 48 by a friend of my mothers. It still works just fine and I'm sure it will outlive me.

I have a Samsung french door model that works OK. It has two ice makers and one of them quit after about 5 years, so it's not perfect, but I think it's about as good as most others these days. My laundry machines are LG and they are great so I'll probably look at LG next time I need a refrigerator but appliances change fast enough that you really can't rely on brand to be sure you'll get a good one.  'Durable' goods used to be good for at least 20 years before needing repair, now they are a lot less durable. 

CBC news in Canada published this market place story today about appliances including listing the brands that are the least reliable/break down the most. Kenmore tops the charts followed by GE. Typically, if things are going to go bad it'll happen in the first 3-5 years. Average life expectancy of 10 years+ is now rare, etc. etc.etc. $$$$$

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-appliances-right-to-repair-1.5475649

Bought a home last year that included a ten year old GE Profile side-by-side.  Didn't dawn on me right away why the previous owner had installed an under-counter water filtration system until I learned the GE's water dispenser kept freezing up.  After some reading I replaced what it took to keep the ice flapper closed tightly and also wrapped the inside of the freezer door with several sheets of insulation with the self-adhesive backing.  Seems to have done the trick so far.

I had an old one too.. 1940's vintage. Ran great. Got tired of paying high $$ electric bill so tried to sell it. No offers. So to the junkyard. Broke my heart. 

I had an old one too.. 1940's vintage. Ran great. Got tired of paying high $$ electric bill so tried to sell it. No offers. So to the junkyard. Broke my heart. 
Yeah this old one I have dims the lights when it starts but as long as it runs it stays. It's got to many good stickers on the door to scrap it.

Our 1993 Kenmore (made by GE)side by side with ice maker has not had one problem since it was installed. I also have a Kenmore freezer in the Garage that was new in 1988 with no issues. Now I probably jinxed everything.

Our 1993 Kenmore (made by GE)side by side with ice maker has not had one problem since it was installed. I also have a Kenmore freezer in the Garage that was new in 1988 with no issues. Now I probably jinxed everything.
The 93 GE that was in this house when I bought it is still working in the laundry room.  We replaced it because my bride wanted a new one and the ice maker leaked. 10 minute fix. The next one will probably be a GE side by side. They get high Mark's and it's the one my appliance guy says he seldom works on.

We bought a new fridge a year or two ago, bumped the old one to the garage, and the garage one to the curb.  Had nothing but trouble with the old one (from the kitchen), at least the icemaker part.  So I did some research, like a month-to-month subscription to Consumer Reports.  Found out the icemaker was responsible for the overwhelming majority of reported problems and repairs, especially those in-the-door dispensers.  That screw drive system that gets the cubes out the chute is really finicky.  So the new one makes ice, but it's in the bottom freezer and you have to open the door and pull out a drawer to get ice.  Oh, the humanity!  What a first-world problem.  But it works flawlessly so far.  Nice and simple, door's not involved at all, even for water (I have to OPEN the refrig door to push the button for filtered water.  Can you believe it?)

Had a little problem with my probably 15 y.o. Maytag washer a few years back too, had to call a repairman out.  I asked him how I'd know it was time to replace it instead of repair it.  He told me "When it bursts into flames!"  They just don't make them--ANY of them--nearly as well now as they did even just that recently.  Same brand, foreign or domestic, none of them.  Same thing seems true for refrigerators now as washing machines.  So good luck with your search Ray.  But try skipping the ice dispenser.

p.s.  I just remembered this one.  My parents were married in 1939.  For a wedding gift somebody gave them a Sunbeam toaster.  It made every piece of toast I ate as long as I lived there and kept making toast long afterwards.  Finally, my sister got the toaster when they went into a nursing home.  She still has the freaking toaster.  She'll be 80 years old next month.  So, toasters too, I guess.

Unfortunately, I've seen this movie before.  Bottom line is this:  Appliances are NOT what they used to be.  They are disposable, and built that way.

Regarding refrigerators, I've given up on ANY model that has the icemaker in the door.  I'm convinced that this design is flawed because no matter what they do, the ice and the icemaker installed there will not keep the area cold enough to prevent the ice from sweating, and this causes all kinds of problems.  I've replaced the ice maker twice now.  Upon the 3rd one, this POS goes to the street and the NEXT one will have the ice maker in the bottom freezer where it belongs.

Yesterday I got a new dishwasher.  Long story short, I diagnosed the "old" dishwasher, at a ripe old age of 5 years, 2 months, with a bad wash/spray pump.  Of course, this particular pump comes with the solenoid built in it, and best price for it is $170.00 plus shipping.  Discourage, I opened a new browser tab and went to the Lowes website just to see what they have.  At the top banner of the home page:  "35% of select appliances".

(Pants)  "Mama - come with me to Lowes, we are buying a new dishwasher."

Found a Whirlpool for $379,.00.  Oh well, so much for replacing the pump.

Now, here is the kicker:

This brand new whirlpool is EXACTLY the same dishwasher as my 5-year old Kenmore.  I mean it cannot be any more similar.  Same parts, same POS pumps, same everything.  The front door has a different name on it - that's it.

(sigh)

I learned this in the store and still bought it.  After all, we are selling the house in less than a year.    Hopefully (HOPEFULLY, fingers crossed), this won't be my problem anymore....

Another thing I've learned re: appliances - the biggest difference between the cheapest and the expensive is the bells and whistles and electronic doo dads that are just gonna break anyways.  Speed Queen still makes an old fashioned non-electronic clothes washer.  It's more expensive but it comes with a 10 years parts and labor warranty.

I dunno - this whole thing just pisses me off.....

People wonder why our landfills are over taxed....

When you say you need to “thaw it out” every month due to the back wall icing up and leaking in the fridge? 

Because there’s a fix for that.

Did it to our Samsung and zero problems in 7 years. No problems with the ice maker, but then it’s used everyday.

My only quip is the price they want for the water filter. $38.00 every 2 months it seems. Actually just gave up on buying them that often. 

We were going to buy a Sub Zero, but got a deal on the Samsung. It had one problem right after we got it (bought at Sears) but they came and fixed it under warranty (Some kind of clog) 

From what I’ve seen, pretty much any of what’s on the market now just aren’t as good as they used to be. Sometimes you get a lemon and sometimes not. 

Just get one with the features you want and hope for the best ;)

1 hour ago, Knifemaker said:

When you say you need to “thaw it out” every month due to the back wall icing up and leaking in the fridge? 

Because there’s a fix for that.

I've done that same procedure every 4 to 6 weeks for years and the same with the ice maker. I'm a slow learner but this POS is going to be a target before it goes to the dump.

Good read as Mrs. Bug is remodeling the kitchen this summer and we will be looking to replace a perfectly good Kenmore  (yeah, another battle lost to the war dept).   At least I still have my 1956 International Harvester frig in the garage. I don't care if they have to go to emergency nuke power to keep it going, that thing keeps the beer at 33 degrees.

Well looking online for “best” or “most reliable” there’s no solid winner. Whirlpool seems to get top ratings as does GE (but GE’s are now made in China) Samsung I’m sorry to say does still rank high.

As mentioned, I believe you’re just playing roulette with any of the major brands. Lifespans just aren’t what they once were. :(

Go outside. Grab a handful of snow. Walk inside. Put snow in ice chest. Repeat. 

You're welcome!

:)

ps the new one HAS to have an ice maker. I like ice in my 7n7's... 

Thanks Knifemaker for the video. I have a Samsung and the ice build up in the bottom of the frig. compartment if a pain in the ass. Every month I have to pull the bottom drawer and melt the ice. I'l try the fix on the video and see if that works.   

Before the Samsung I have a GE Profile side-by-side and twice a failure in the part that connected the water line to the refirerator broke and flooded my kitchen. After the second failure I disconnected the water line and soon after relegated the POS to the junk yard.  As info., my sister-in-law was a VP at GE and told me GE makes no appliances. They get a royality for their GE name on the appliances that are manufactured under a licensing agreement with various vendors. 

My garage beer/wine reefer is a Frigidaire now 20 years old and never a kick-up. Nothing fancy and no bells and whistles!!!