Reno Air Races

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I am planning on attending the Reno Air Races in September for at least two days. Those who have attended, do you have any suggestions as far as parking, lodging and anything that would be helpful for a first timer?

Thanks Bug Man, i had forgotten about the next year event. I will try to get a reservation at the Western Village and give others a review. I would still like to hear from some who have attended the races for any hints on how and where to watch from.

If you are new to air racing, the grandstands with pit pass is the way to go. If you are current on the planes, numbers, pilots, livery, then head down Red Rock road and catch them at full throttle down the back straight for free. Of course, no bathroom, beer, cute chicks etc are out there. The grandstands used to have an 'Orange' section full of fun wacko peeps like us FJR folks are. I normally camp with truck and camper along Red Rock road - but my last time was Sept 11th and they cancelled the event.

We used to sneak out onto the course in the early 70's and take some awesome pix as the elevation rises and the pilots have to gain altitude to remain in flight. I have pix of Lefty Garnder, somewhere, with his wing tip in the sage brush with the P38. And no, he did not crash. And yes, he did that often.

Reno AirRaces are way coolio and two CBA thumbs up!

Park miles away and watch it on internet video. Less likely to be involved in some sort of air/ground mishap. Over the years I've noticed that the highest rate of air show/race collisions and crashes happen at air shows/races.

Park miles away and watch it on internet video. Less likely to be involved in some sort of air/ground mishap. Over the years I've noticed that the highest rate of air show/race collisions and crashes happen at air shows/races.
Don't ride a motorcycle, over the years I've noticed a high rate of motorcycle collisions and crashes happen to people who ride motorcycles. Scheesh

... Less likely to be involved in some sort of air/ground mishap. Over the years I've noticed that the highest rate of air show/race collisions and crashes happen at air shows/races.
Too true. A co-worker of mine was sitting in VIP seats a couple of years back, when a P-51D Mustang's structural failure crashed it about 70 feet from where he was seated. Many people around him were injured or killed, but he and his buddy walked away unscathed.

Life holds all kinds of risk for each of us - a trial of our survival. Some of these we can recognize and possibly mitigate, and then we get to make a choice. Other times not...

... Less likely to be involved in some sort of air/ground mishap. Over the years I've noticed that the highest rate of air show/race collisions and crashes happen at air shows/races.
Too true. A co-worker of mine was sitting in VIP seats a couple of years back, when a P-51D Mustang's structural failure crashed it about 70 feet from where he was seated. Many people around him were injured or killed, but he and his buddy walked away unscathed.

Life holds all kinds of risk for each of us - a trial of our survival. Some of these we can recognize and possibly mitigate, and then we get to make a choice. Other times not...
If I listened to you and Bounce I wouldn't ride a motorcycle or drive a cage. Why thousands are killed on our highways each year. I'll take my chances and thanks Carver for your informative post.

Jer

>>I have pix of Lefty Garnder, somewhere, with his wing tip in the sage brush with the P38I have pix of Lefty Garnder, somewhere, with his wing tip in the sage brush with the P38

would love to see that shot!

I am planning on attending the Reno Air Races in September for at least two days. Those who have attended, do you have any suggestions as far as parking, lodging and anything that would be helpful for a second timer?It's been a few years since me and the Wright brothers had our show at Kitty Hawk.....
Wow Jer. You are old!

If I listened to you and Bounce I wouldn't ride a motorcycle or drive a cage. Why thousands are killed on our highways each year. I'll take my chances and thanks Carver for your informative post.
Jer
I guess I didn't do a very good job of making my point. Risks? Life is full of them, but of choices too. I wasn't advocating not taking risks, only in making informed choices where we can. We ride motorcycles, right?
wink.png

Would I personally sit in the VIP seating at the Reno races? In a heartbeat!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on attending the Reno Air Races in September for at least two days. Those who have attended, do you have any suggestions as far as parking, lodging and anything that would be helpful for a second timer?It's been a few years since me and the Wright brothers had our show at Kitty Hawk.....
Wow Jer. You are old!
Yeah, and all of you youngsters are jealous because you have to worry about your survival to reach my age. Lots of years left in this old bird. Wilbur, Orville and I really did put on a great show. The biggest hit was my wing walking.

Jer, keep an eye on the smoke forecast. There is a monster fire near Yosemite with all the smoke blowing northeast and it has been really awful in the Reno basin . Hopefully by race weekend it will be much better.

My son and I will be there in the grandstands on the last day of the race, then off to Wendover, Utah to try to catch some LSR efforts on the salt flats. Then off to fly fish in Idaho, then off to the Cody Museum. We have a lot planned in ten days.
smile.png

My son and I will be there in the grandstands on the last day of the race, then off to Wendover, Utah to try to catch some LSR efforts on the salt flats. Then off to fly fish in Idaho, then off to the Cody Museum. We have a lot planned in ten days.
smile.png
If you are riding your superior Gen 1, I will look for you to say hello. I will be on my bike with some friends from Boise. Two couples and the fifth wheel, me.