Replacement Levers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put on a set of the 2Wheels levers and developed a clutch problem. I should have detected it when I installed them, but I wound up correcting it and it's fine. Here's the deal:

The diameter of the hole in the lever where the clutch cylinder linkage bushing goes was a bit too tight. This is the thing that pivots in the clutch handle and the rod that goes into the clutch master cylinder, pushing on the piston. Normal operation requires that this rotate in the lever as it pulled and released. I initially thought it'd be OK, lubed it and put it all together.

A month or two later, I found the clutch slipping. To cut to the reason, the fit was too tight and the cylinder would no longer rotate back into position when the lever was released, leaving the clutch partially disengaged. The fix was to pull it off and ream out the hole in the lever just a bit with a Dremel tool so the bushing rotated freely. Lubed it all up again, put it together and no more clutch slipping. No such problem with the brake lever.
I had the same problem with the brass bushing being too tight but I was thinking that was on the Tenere. I also had to take a thousandth or two off with some 1000 grit paper for a proper fit.
+2

I had the same issue with the bushing being to tight on mine. I got the proper fit, but never like the feel of them compared to the Pazzo's.

Sold them at a swap meet and got some new Pazzo's for the FJR and love them... definitely more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
bigjohnsd: The shorty version is for two-finger operation. Since the lever's short, your ring finger and pinkie (still gripping the handlebar) don't get in the way of a full lever stroke.

Don't think anybody answered it point-blank, although a few answered it obliquely. I put shorties on the RD400 35 years ago because they looked good. My fingers are much older now, and do much better with all four pulling the lever simultaneously.

Pazzo or nothing, Fit and finish last a lifetime and $150 is not expensive. PJ's parts has free shipping. Get the standard length.

Pazzo or nothing, Fit and finish last a lifetime and $150 is not expensive. PJ's parts has free shipping. Get the standard length.
You state $150 is not expensive. That's relative to one's financial status. What sets the Pazzo levers three times more value than $50 levers from other brands. I have the latter and they have worked well for the past two years. Just curious.

You state $150 is not expensive. That's relative to one's financial status. What sets the Pazzo levers three times more value than $50 levers from other brands. I have the latter and they have worked well for the past two years. Just curious.
Because it says "Pazzo"?
smile.png

Mine is a set of $35 levers from TwoWheel on eBay. Almost a year now, works great...

Like I said...fit and finish. The cheap ones fade with time, wobble in the pivots and the adjuster springs rust. The Pazzo angle is just better too.

If the Pazzo price and name bother you that much, go with what melts your butter. I have decided quality lasts and a buck-fitty is not much money for a product I prefer. I sell the old ones off when I sell a bike, 60% back usually.

My original never faded, I'm doubting my new color ones don't fade...

Name recognition is huge I guess. If they were made in usa I'd think differently

I just ordered a set of the twoWheels levers - titanium color should look great on my 2004 cerulean silver machine!

I'll see if I need to do any adjustment with the bushing. I'll find out if I have another "you get what you pay for" experience as well.

My levers are 2Wheel as well. I checked the clutch pivots and the brass fitting moves freely. I have always lubricated it with white elephant grease. If the 2Wheel levers do not hold up I will certainly consider Pazzo levers. That's only 30 pints of craft brewed real beer. I suppose I could give up beer for two weeks!!!

Well we spell Aluminum the right way and those goofy British spell it and pronounce it Aluminium but I have never heard of aluminim. Good catch. Looks like your picture is of levers manufactured by aircraft aluminim before they redesigned them in 2014. The new ones have a different design with a slightly different shape and 7 clicks to the adjustment lever.
Funny thing, the US guy who invented the process first, a few years later he decided he liked the british pronunciation better and lobbied to get the US to change pronunciation... He was told where he could go... Fun Fact!

I got some knock off pazzos on ebay. I even read the listing wrong and got the wrong brake lever. After some measurements and pictures they made me up some or found them. I paid $6 for the shipping the fix which is fine since they didn't lie and their ad said 2003 only. Levers look sharp and mount well. Amazing what a bunc of cnc machines will kick out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261698052643?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pretty good price and shipping was about a week from china. 5 days for the replacement part to make it fit. Once again my fault, not theirs.